Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Endus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Uninstalled Drivers, Monitor gets no signal

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Ok so I uninstalled my nvidia drivers and now my monitor gets no signal and displays nothing. I have uninstalled my drivers before and after two restarts, the old drivers would automatically get reinstalled and everything would be fine, but not this time. I uninstalled my drivers due to a "You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU" message that was caused by installing a bunch of new updates. Uninstalling my nvidia drivers fixed that problem when it happened another time. I am using a gtx 560 as my main video card along with some intel hd thing that came with the computer. On start up my monitor turns on and it flashes the logo then says a no signal message and it goes into power saving mode.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Re: Uninstalled Drivers, Monitor gets no signal

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Turn off your PC and disconnect from power. Then, unplug your monitor from the card, remove your 560GTX video card and plug your monitor directly into the onboard video card. Plug your PC and monitor into power and cold start. If it hits BIOS, reset defaults and boot into Windows. If it does NOT hit BIOS or Windows, possibly a bad monitor. If the monitor can be connected in a different way (say, HDMI vs. Display Port vs. DVI), use a different port AFTER removing the nVidia card.

Good luck!
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Endus wrote:
Ok so I uninstalled my nvidia drivers and now my monitor gets no signal and displays nothing. I have uninstalled my drivers before and after two restarts, the old drivers would automatically get reinstalled and everything would be fine, but not this time. I uninstalled my drivers due to a "You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU" message that was caused by installing a bunch of new updates. Uninstalling my nvidia drivers fixed that problem when it happened another time. I am using a gtx 560 as my main video card along with some intel hd thing that came with the computer. On start up my monitor turns on and it flashes the logo then says a no signal message and it goes into power saving mode.

1) What is your monitor? Brand and Model #. You should be able to find it listed somewhere on it.
2) What sort of cable are you using to connect it?
3) Is it possible you plugged an HDMI cable into the on-board one instead of your add-in GTX 560?
4) If you listen close do the fans on the computer turn on, does it beep, lights turn on, etc?

I would not suggest opening your computer case until you do the first-step troubleshooting, as you may run into more problems doing that if you aren't particularly familiar with the parts and where they are. Your computer may also be under-warranty (is it a name-brand like Dell or home-built?). No reason to potentially void your warranty if it's a name-brand computer by reseating things and the like.

Endus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 am

computron9000 wrote:
Endus wrote:

1) What is your monitor? Brand and Model #. You should be able to find it listed somewhere on it.
2) What sort of cable are you using to connect it?
3) Is it possible you plugged an HDMI cable into the on-board one instead of your add-in GTX 560?
4) If you listen close do the fans on the computer turn on, does it beep, lights turn on, etc?

I would not suggest opening your computer case until you do the first-step troubleshooting, as you may run into more problems doing that if you aren't particularly familiar with the parts and where they are. Your computer may also be under-warranty (is it a name-brand like Dell or home-built?). No reason to potentially void your warranty if it's a name-brand computer by reseating things and the like.

1. Acer S201HLbd
2 I think it's just some 15 pin VGA cable that goes right from the monitor to the back of the computer
3. i am not sure, i had someone else put this together for me. I have enver opened this computer myself. On the back of my computer there is only one slot that the vga cable could possibly plug into. i know the computer did recognize the gtx 560 before this happened. under dxdiag it was listed as display 1, with the intel hd thing as display 2. I was also able to play games at settings I doubt an onboard video card could handle.
4. yeah the computer runs just as it always did except the monitor displays nothing. i can hear the noise from when windows starts up. the motherboard and fans and lights are all on like normal.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 am

Turn off the monitor and the PC. Disconnect the VGA cable from the computer and monitor (if you can). Plug the DVI cable into the monitor and computer (your 560GTX). Turn on the monitor first, then the PC. If nothing, then try it using your VGA port on the 560GTX. If both ports fail on the 560GTX, bad video card.... replace that. If the DVI works but the VGA does not, bad VGA cable or port on the monitor.

According to this, you have a 3yr warranty. How old is the monitor?
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Endus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:14 am

riviera74 wrote:
Turn off the monitor and the PC. Disconnect the VGA cable from the computer and monitor (if you can). Plug the DVI cable into the monitor and computer (your 560GTX). Turn on the monitor first, then the PC. If nothing, then try it using your VGA port on the 560GTX. If both ports fail on the 560GTX, bad video card.... replace that. If the DVI works but the VGA does not, bad VGA cable or port on the monitor.

According to this, you have a 3yr warranty. How old is the monitor?

I am very confident none of the hardware is broken because it all worked yesterday. the monitor is 3 months old. The no signal problem happened after using a fix method to get rid of some error that told me "You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU". The thing that caused that error message to appear was some updates I installed yesterday. I deleted all my nvidia drivers so that it would revert back to the drivers it came with. Ihis fix has worked in the past. I am pretty sure that error message was due to me never disabling the on board graphics video card. There is only 1 vga and 1 dvi port on the back of my computer. I have tried both and neither gave me a display. Here is a plan I think could work: 1. Open up the case and take the 560 out so that the computer will have to use the on board graphics to give me a display. 2. If I get a display I will go and download and install the nvidia drivers that I know work. 3. Put the gtx 560 back in. 4. If that works go into the bios and disable the on board graphics.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 am

Endus wrote:
I am very confident none of the hardware is broken because it all worked yesterday

I have to be honest, that's really terrible logic :P

If you're getting no display at all, not even a POST screen, then this is beyond a Windows driver issue. If you have an onboard graphics card, certainly try some combination of trying it, disabling it and trying to geforce, or removing the geforce and using onboard. I'd reset the BIOS as well.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 am

Endus wrote:
On start up my monitor turns on and it flashes the logo then says a no signal message and it goes into power saving mode.

So you see the boot logo but not the Windows bootscreen?

I would try banging on F8 to see if you can get into Safe Mode.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Endus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 pm

I went and took the video card out and turned the computer on and it defaulted to the on board card and gave me a signal. I took this opportunity to try and install the nvidia drivers but it wouldnt let me because it couldnt detect any nvidia card. I then put the video card back in and turned it on and still no signal. I have also tried plugging the monitor into the 2 avi slots (didnt realise they existed before) directly connected to the 560 and still nothing. Would going to a back up before i installed the updates maybe work? I cant help but feeling something about one of those updates caused my computer to stop recognizing the 560. Either that or i could try to reset the bios first.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Well sounds like your video card might be dead, odd timing I have to say but there are a few things you can try.

1.) Load into safe mode by press F8 on system start-up. Once into Windows Safe Mode go to your start menu and go to run (or type into the search bar for windows 7). In either of those type "MSCONFIG" capitals not needed :).
Once in there go to the second tab called "BOOT". From there you will want to check mark "No GUI Boot" and "Base Video". The first option will disable the windows load screen with the progress bar (optional to disable but can cause odd issues on a monitor thats not the correct res or doesn't support it) and the important one is the "Base Video" which disables your video card drivers and uses the base video drivers from windows or the devices BIOS (your video cards). The second setting will force your system in 640x480 resolution, just go with me on this one :P.

2.) Do this next step with the one above. Look up your motherboard model number and find out where the CLR_CMOS jumper is. This might also be called the BIOS RESET switch or CMOS RESET in the product manual. Clear the CMOS using the method described in the manual which is generally jumpering the pins for 10-15 seconds with the power still on and the battery still in. IF you cannot find those, you will want to pull the power plug off of the computer, pull out the CMOS battery (little round watch battery) and then press/hold the power button a few times to make sure you clear all residual power that may be in the system. Leave this off for 30 seconds to a minute to be sure it clears. You can then pop the battery back into the battery slot.

On your first system startup, you will more than likely prompted to enter into the BIOS by pressing something like Delete, F1 or F2. Go ahead and do that and correct the Date/Time as its going to be way the hell off. You should now try and see what happens when you load into windows using your add on video card. If you still get no signal, then plug the monitor cable into the on-board and go under Device manager in windows to see if it recognizes your video card. If so, then you may have to fiddle around with windows settings to get it to recognize it.

Your last option if it recognizes it in windows but wont show a picture on that video card is to go back into BIOS and find the setting referring to default display or video adapter. Sometimes these are set to IGP (Integrated Graphics Port) and you will ant to change the primary over to PCI-E or PCI Express, however its labeled.

Make sure after doing all of this that once you get display back to your video card (If you do), to go back under MSConfig and un-check "No GUI Boot" and "Base Video". If you don't un-check base video, your going to be enjoy a sweet 640xs480 no matter what you do.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Endus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:59 pm

i managed to fix it :DD. i took out the 560 so my computer defaulted to the on board card. i then did a system restore to two days ago. i put the 560 back in and it worked fine. thanks a bunch for all of the suggestions you guys gave me.

MrJP
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Hold on, if you didn't know the DVI ports on the 560 existed before, then I'm guessing you've had the monitor plugged into the motherboard VGA port all along. Hence you've possibly been using the onboard video all along, despite having the 560 installed? That would explain the message about not having a display connected to the nvidia card, though I'm not sure what caused the display to stop working altogether, unless you deleted or uninstalled the intel drivers somehow.

Alternatively, is this a fairly new Sandy Bridge-based system? Is it perhaps setup to use the Lucid Virtu software (mentioned here and [http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20955]here[/url]) to pipe the discrete graphics output through the onboard video? Perhaps this was working fine until your attempts to delete the drivers changed something? If you're using the PC for games, you might be better off connecting he monitor directly to the 560 rather than going via the onboard video in any case (read the second link). Some more details about hte rest of the system might help clear this up.
i7-6700K ~ Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ~ 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400 ~ Radeon R9 Nano
Noctua NHU9S ~ Corsair Obsidian 250D ~ Corsair RM650X ~ Crucial MX100 512GB
SMSL M3 ~ Sennheiser HD555 ~ Logitech G500S/G910/G29 ~ LG 34UC79G