Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

The new iPad (3rd-gen) has arrived

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Some observations:

-The new display is the whole enterprise here, and it works and works well. Soooo tasty.

-We've waited so long to increase pixel densities that apparently quadrupling is the way this is going to happen. The web will have to be redesigned to take advantage, but we're ready. A taste of TR in Retina-res: http://fredded.eu/tr/tr-hidpi.png

-Infinity Blade II says it's updated for the new display, but it's clearly not running at native res. Does look a little nicer than on the iPad 2, though, side by side. I've tweeted Mark Rein for an explanation of what it's doing (i.e., scaling or something)

-Remote desktop into my desktop PC with a 30" LCD is darn near to the native resolution on the new iPad. The text is really, really small, of course, but it works.

-Why didn't this happen in desktop displays first? Ugh. Shameful, really, although I get that making dense displays also large is hard.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: The new iPad (3rd-gen) has arrived

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

My guess is the 'normal' viewing distance of the desktop (with keyboard and mouse) made multiple displays a much more practical solution.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:10 pm

If you paid as much per square inch for your desktop display as you paid for the latest iPad, who could afford it other than for medical imaging?

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:20 pm

How's the weight compared to the iPad 2 ? How does it feel holding it ? Do you get tired quicker ?

Adi

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:25 pm

adisor19 wrote:
How's the weight compared to the iPad 2 ? How does it feel holding it ? Do you get tired quicker ?

Adi

It's still lighter than the original iPad although slightly heavier than the iPad2. It's not such an amazing difference where the problems of holding a tablet up for a long period time is magnified or removed.

That is, even an iPad2 is a tad to heavy to be comfortable to hold for hours even though it's really light.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:26 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
If you paid as much per square inch for your desktop display as you paid for the latest iPad, who could afford it other than for medical imaging?

Dunno what percentage of the iPad BOM goes to the display. Maybe half? A little more?

Anyhow, the answers obviously are: Workstation users, designers who work with typography, professional photographers, CAD/CAM types, and the well off tech geeks of the world.

Heck, IBM used to make a killer LCD with very high density about five years ago. I saw one at a GeForce launch, perhaps G80? I think the thing cost like 30 grand. Was gorgeous, but Windows XP looked ridiculous on it, even with "large fonts." Was hoping high-DPI displays would take off from there and come down in price. Didn't really happen.

I know a lot of geeks have vision issues and don't see the need for high-DPI displays, but I am definitely not in that category. I'm willing to wager a majority of people will very much appreciate better displays, just like they did the move from dot matrix printers to lasers and ink jets back in the day. Happy to see the iPad democratizing these things. A lot of doubters will be converts after spending some time with one.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:29 pm

Yeah, the old IBM displays were introduced over 10 years ago at ~200 PPI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

Saw it once, been waiting for the future to get on with it ever since. :)
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:35 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
adisor19 wrote:

Adi

It's still lighter than the original iPad although slightly heavier than the iPad2. It's not such an amazing difference where the problems of holding a tablet up for a long period time is magnified or removed.

That is, even an iPad2 is a tad to heavy to be comfortable to hold for hours even though it's really light.

Yeah, first impressions are that it's really hard to tell the difference between the two in thickness or weight. However, the future ideal tablet will have to be lighter than either, especially for reading in bed. :D
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:39 pm

All right, now for the killer question : are the improvements worth it the upgrade from iPad 2 towards the new iPad ? I ask as i already have the iPad 2 64GB 3G..

Adi

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:50 pm

adisor19 wrote:
All right, now for the killer question : are the improvements worth it the upgrade from iPad 2 towards the new iPad ? I ask as i already have the iPad 2 64GB 3G..

Adi

Very much up to you. Just don't look at the screen on a new one if you don't want to upgrade.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

yokem55
Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Scott, you saw the Asus TF700's display at CES didn't you? Can you say from memory how that unit's display compares to the new iPad's?

esterhasz
Gerbil In Training

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:37 am

I got mine yesterday and after spending a couple of hours with it, a little feedback concerning the screen:

- the screen is crazy sharp, incredible, the NYT page in portray looks like a magazine

- because the screen is so much sharper, my 24" 1920x1200 now looks a LOT worse than it did two days ago. I hope this is not going to be annoying in the long run.

- the PDF readers I use (iAnnotate and Goodreader) have not yet updated their rendering engines to the new resolution - this is true for other apps as well

Honestly, I can't wait for PC screens to go superhires, the additional sharpness is going to be such a boon for display workers and their poor eyes. I've looked at the inconsolata font I use for coding on the PC on the iPad 3 in the same size and, wow, this is going to be simply incredible.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:21 am

Scott what about the reports I'm reading that the GPU won't be able to push the native resolution?

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:37 am

yokem55 wrote:
Scott, you saw the Asus TF700's display at CES didn't you? Can you say from memory how that unit's display compares to the new iPad's?

Going only by memory is a tricky thing. My sense is that they're both gorgeous, but it was easier to pick out individual pixels on the Asus. The pixel density is just higher on the iPad, with cripser detail in each letter of text. However, the iPad 3rd-gen's display has a bit of a yellowish cast to it, and I remember the colors of the Asus being pristine, with very white whites.

Also, I think the extra resolution was perhaps more of a help in Android, since its font scaling at more common pixel densities is kind of poor. You notice the improvement more because some of the kerning problems and such tend to go away at high DPI, whereas iOS doesn't have those issues at any resolution.

Overall, the iPad display is superior by virtue of sheer density, but the Asus a very nice bit of gear, too.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 am

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 am

dashbarron wrote:
Scott what about the reports I'm reading that the GPU won't be able to push the native resolution?

Those reports appear to be incorrect. The iPad 3 is just as snappy as the iPad 2 in general use (and that makes it faster than the average netbook for surfing the web, smoother than any Android tablet for touch input response--i.e., very good overall.)

That said, as I've noted, Infinity Blade II isn't running at a native 2048x1536, and I doubt it would run fast enough at the full three-megapixel resolution of the display. You can always push a GPU past its limits with enough pixels of sufficient quality, and IB2 has very high quality pixels. That's why Chair/Epic has apparently used some sort of image scaling.

For everyday use, though, the iPad 3 is golden. Given the number of times faster than the original iPad the A5X's GPU is (I'd guess ~5-14X, depending on the metric), the fact it can handle 4X the resolution shouldn't be a big shock.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 am

dashbarron wrote:

In addition to what Scott said, I ran GLBenchmark 2.1: Egypt on my iPad 3 and got 30 FPS in Standard (at what looked like native res) and 150 FPS offscreen. The iPad 2 does 60 FPS (vSYnc limited perhaps) and 89 FPS respectively in those benchmarks.

So it looks like the iPad 3's GPU is ~70% faster than the iPad 2's for 3D graphics but has 4 times the pixels to push.

spuppy
Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:32 am

Does the GPU have its own dedicated memory? Because the iPad 2 with 512 MB of RAM has barely enough for multitasking. I wonder if with 4x the resolution, 2x the RAM is enough?

I don't see how it'll be able to run 3D smoothly at that res either, at least with decent looking graphics (which AFAIK was only ever done with Infinity Blade 2)

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:42 am

spuppy wrote:
Does the GPU have its own dedicated memory? Because the iPad 2 with 512 MB of RAM has barely enough for multitasking. I wonder if with 4x the resolution, 2x the RAM is enough?

iOS doesn't do true app-level multitasking, but it does backgrounding/task switching quite well on the iPad 2. RAM capacity has never felt like a constraint to me, at least, so I'm not sure where your assertion about the iPad 2's memory size is coming from. Given that, I'm not sure how to answer the second part of your question.

However, 1GB of shared memory does look to be plenty for a 3MP display. When the PC first moved to 2048x1536, the standard for video cards was 256MB of VRAM. See here:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/8538

We were running Doom 3 and Far Cry passably at 3MP with 256MB of VRAM.

There are a number of other iPad games that rival the Infinity Blade series for visual fidelity, including Dead Space, the Batman fighting game, and (from what I hear, though I haven't tried it) the Mass Effect 3 spin-off.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 am

spuppy wrote:

No, the GPU and CPU share the same memory pool.

I think attractive 3D games will struggle to run at the native resolution (Egypt ran fine, but it's an old and ugly engine compared to UE3), but 2D games or ones with simple graphics will look amazing.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:46 am

Damage wrote:
iOS doesn't do true app-level multitasking, but it does backgrounding/task switching quite well on the iPad 2. RAM capacity has never felt like a constraint to me, at least, so I'm not sure where your assertion about the iPad 2's memory size is coming from. Given that, I'm not sure how to answer the second part of your question.

Multitasking isn't really an issue even on the iPad 1. But a single app can end up using enough RAM that you can notice it. Open up enough tabs (and it's not even that many) in Safari and the iPad3 will show its chops.

In terms of 3D power, it's more than sufficient for a tablet. Native resolution will obviously be a problem for the highest end games but it's trivial to drop down a notch in resolution like all the current consoles do anyway.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:49 am

Display is a whole new class, yet weight remains much the same. Precluding any further unexpected performance factors in graphics apps, is the new model therefore in a whole new league? Can we say, there was the iPad 1&2 era and it was great, but from here on it wouldn't be smart for users to put more time and money in older models than they already do?

spuppy
Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:52 am

In my experience, app switching is extremely laggy - moving from one app to another results in 3-5 seconds of lag where you are unable to do anything. And if you try, it just delays the lag longer. It makes the ipad 2 frustrating as a productivity device (and the ipad 1 was essentially useless). Whenever I find myself having to do anything other than goofing around with facebook or browsing web pages (1 at a time), it ends up being extremely frustrating. For instance just a few weeks ago I was on the road and a friend needed me to proofread a PDF presentation for them. Switching back and forth between the email app and ibooks was incredibly laggy, and made the task more cumbersome than using even the cheapest netbook would have been. Part of it was the OS' lack of multitasking, also I assume the low amount of RAM (1GB probably would have brute-forced the lag to go away) and part was the interface itself. Tablets are fun and intuitive for some things, but it's just not the right interface for actual work yet. Having an external keyboard with the ability to alt-tab would have made a world of difference, I'm sure. And this comes up a lot for me. Whenever I try to be productive with it, something like this just ruins the experience.

So all things being equal in terms of resolution, going from 512MB to 1GB would have made a significant impact in my opinion, but with 4x the res, I don't know if it will be a case of 'two steps forward, one step back'. I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself, or hear from people who (foolishly?) try to be productive with their ipads rather than just (smartly) use it the way Apple intends it to be used (though they do try to market it as a productivity device sometimes, which is funny to me).

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:54 am

trackerben wrote:
Display is a whole new class, yet weight remains much the same. Precluding any further unexpected performance factors in graphics apps, is the new model therefore in a whole new league? Can we say, there was the iPad 1&2 era and it was great, but from here on it wouldn't be smart for users to put more time and money in older models than they already do?

You could say the screen is the ultimate for a 10" LCD screen in 4:3 format. I'm figuring that Android will likely settle for a somewhat close but not quite as high 1980x1200 in a 16:10 format. Going any higher in a tablet format would be losing too much for too little gain.

Processing power and battery efficiency still has room to improve though but I don't think there's any reason not to get the iPad3 if you're in the market for a high-end tablet.

So all things being equal in terms of resolution, going from 512MB to 1GB would have made a significant impact in my opinion, but with 4x the res, I don't know if it will be a case of 'two steps forward, one step back'. I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself, or hear from people who (foolishly?) try to be productive with their ipads rather than just (smartly) use it the way Apple intends it to be used (though they do try to market it as a productivity device sometimes, which is funny to me).

That was more the nature of iOS though and how it task-switches rather than multitasks. But iOS has latent multitasking capabilities right? I haven't gotten to try the iPad3 myself long enough to tell.

With that said, I can alt-tab with a single swipe on my Touchpad =D

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:00 am

spuppy wrote:
In my experience, app switching is extremely laggy - moving from one app to another results in 3-5 seconds of lag where you are unable to do anything. And if you try, it just delays the lag longer.

Honestly sounds to me like a very different experience than my iPad 2 has been. Perhaps other iPad 2 users can back me up here. App switching has always been pretty snappy for me, and the whole experience improved (especially web browsing, with multiple tabs) with the iOS 5 upgrade.

Makes me wonder if your iPad 2 didn't have a software or hardware issue of some sort. Was it running iOS 5? Had it been jailbroken? Any funny widgets or anything running? Rebooted recently? Hrmm.

Edit: Another possibility is that you were using older apps that weren't backgrounding-aware. If so, the app would launch itself again each time you switched to it. Could be the source of pain. Newer apps, man, just four-finger swipe left and right to move between them almost instantly.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:01 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
That was more the nature of iOS though and how it task-switches rather than multitasks. But iOS has latent multitasking capabilities right? I haven't gotten to try the iPad3 myself long enough to tell.

iOS allows certain processes to run in the background (VOIP, Audio, are a few I can think of) but halts most of the rest when you switch out of the app. The OS is quite capable of multitasking - it's based on OS X - but Apple limits user control of it to help battery life and eliminate any performance issues with the relatively underpowered mobile hardware of today.

ChronoReverse wrote:

A four finger swipe on iOS 5+ on the iPad does this as well.

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:03 am

PerfectCr wrote:
The display on the iPad 3 is amazing. I love it. I could stare at it all day and reading on this thing is pure joy. :o

This. I'm a whore for display quality (you can pry my Dell 2405 FPW from my cold, dead hands) and the display on the iPad 3 is amazing. I'd pay serious money to have a screen like that on a real laptop.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:04 am

Beelzebubba9 wrote:
ChronoReverse wrote:

A four finger swipe on iOS 5+ on the iPad does this as well.

Yeah, 4 and 5 finger gestures often mess up when I use them probably because I do it too quickly or something =(

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:07 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
Yeah, 4 and 5 finger gestures often mess up when I use them probably because I do it too quickly or something =(

It's not just you. :)

spuppy
Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 am

Damage wrote:
spuppy wrote:
In my experience, app switching is extremely laggy - moving from one app to another results in 3-5 seconds of lag where you are unable to do anything. And if you try, it just delays the lag longer.

Honestly sounds to me like a very different experience than my iPad 2 has been. Perhaps other iPad 2 users can back me up here. App switching has always been pretty snappy for me, and the whole experience improved (especially web browsing, with multiple tabs) with the iOS 5 upgrade.

Makes me wonder if your iPad 2 didn't have a software or hardware issue of some sort. Was it running iOS 5? Had it been jailbroken? Any funny widgets or anything running? Rebooted recently? Hrmm.

Nope, always been this way. I think I am just sensitive to it, because I always run into this discussion (which often turns into an argument when the other party is a "fan" of a company). I even made a video of the exact instance I am talking about, and you can clearly see a 3 second lag when switching to the Mail app, where the cursor is not blinking and the app is non responsive. There is a 1-2 second lag switching to the iBooks app, where the PDF is re-loading itself, and is unresponsive.

Edit and these are first party Apple apps, latest versions, so the old version software theory doesn't apply here (or in any of the other instances I can recall)

Not to say this happens ALL THE TIME, but enough for me to say that in my personal opinion, the ipad is not useful as a productivity device. I guess it depends on the task, but I have tried enough tasks only to be frustrated and wishing I was using a laptop instead. Another one is data entry.. You should try using it as your spreadsheet application for an upcoming video card review or something. See that works out for you.. I can just about guarantee you'll hate it. I know you typed up an article on it, and that was bad enough right? It gets much worse.

But like I say every time I bring this up, since people invest themselves emotionally into the product and become insulted and confrontational, I still think the ipad is an awesome device for certain things. It is very fun to play around with, and a fantastic travel companion.

Regarding 4-5 finger gestures, I think it's the BEST thing about iOS 5, and I find myself wishing my Android phone had such a feature (actually I think I saw a hack for it on XDA a few days ago, so I might just check that out)
Last edited by spuppy on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.