Global Moderator
Topic Author

TR March Madness

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Yahoo

[TR] Gerbils
damage

Have at.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Re: TR March Madness

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

What do I do?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 pm

YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:01 pm

thegleek wrote:
What do I do?

Go to the linked Yahoo site and click on the Join Group button. The details in my first post will let you set up your team. After Selection Sunday, you can pick your bracket and wait, like the rest of us, for the Second Chance series with just the Sweet 16.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 am

Captain Ned wrote:
thegleek wrote:
What do I do?

Go to the linked Yahoo site and click on the Join Group button. The details in my first post will let you set up your team. After Selection Sunday, you can pick your bracket and wait, like the rest of us, for the Second Chance series with just the Sweet 16.

Yeah. But how much is the entry? And who do I paypal the $ to? And what are the payout(s)?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 am

Captain Ned wrote:
thegleek wrote:
What do I do?

K clicked on link. joined team. created bracket. you mentioned that i can set up my team. what does that mean? or by joining have i already done so?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 am

thegleek wrote:
K clicked on link. joined team. created bracket. you mentioned that i can set up my team. what does that mean? or by joining have i already done so?

You can't do anything until the NCAA sets the official brackets on March 11. Between then and March 15th you need to pick the winner of every game. There's a "how to" on the main tournament page. Oh, and no $$ changes hands.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 am

I am in.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for getting this up and going again Ned.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:57 am

What day/date do we get to pick our teams?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:35 am

thegleek wrote:

Yahoo will open your brackets for picks about 30 seconds after the end of the Selection Sunday show on CBS March 11. You'll have until March 15 to fill your bracket.

This isn't teams. You're trying to predict the winner of every game in the NCAA tournament up to and including the championship game. There's 63 games you need to pick winners for (I doubt the 4 play-in games will be part of the Yahoo bracket). Since you're obviously new at this, let me congratulate you now on winning this thing (there's a long history of "Nancy from Accounting" winning because she picked whoever's uniforms looked nicer while those of us who chew over the data see our brackets wrecked by the first Friday).

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:38 am

Captain Ned wrote:
thegleek wrote:

Yahoo will open your brackets for picks about 30 seconds after the end of the Selection Sunday show on CBS March 11. You'll have until March 15 to fill your bracket.

This isn't teams. You're trying to predict the winner of every game in the NCAA tournament up to and including the championship game. There's 63 games you need to pick winners for (I doubt the 4 play-in games will be part of the Yahoo bracket).

Thanks for the explanation!

Captain Ned wrote:
Since you're obviously new at this, let me congratulate you now on winning this thing (there's a long history of "Nancy from Accounting" winning because she picked whoever's uniforms looked nicer while those of us who chew over the data see our brackets wrecked by the first Friday).

Yer not far off... My strategy is not going to be based on the color of uniforms, but rather which college/universities that sound familiar to me! :-)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Since you're obviously new at this, let me congratulate you now on winning this thing (there's a long history of "Nancy from Accounting" winning because she picked whoever's uniforms looked nicer while those of us who chew over the data see our brackets wrecked by the first Friday).

I will never get over losing a $1000 college football bowl pool to a woman who picked the teams based on which mascots would beat which "oh, well Wisconsin is the Badgers and they're playing the Lions, so the Lions will win that one")
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:39 pm

idchafee wrote:
I will never get over losing a $1000 college football bowl pool to a woman who picked the teams based on which mascots would beat which "oh, well Wisconsin is the Badgers and they're playing the Lions, so the Lions will win that one")

One of these days I will try to drink myself into the mindset of Nancy from Accounting before filling my bracket. Can't do worse than I have been lately.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm in
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:36 pm

NCAA has done its thing and the brackets are open. Have at.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
NCAA has done its thing and the brackets are open. Have at.

done.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:26 pm

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 1203160367

1 Samuel 17: A champion named Goliath, who was from Missouri, came out of the Big12 camp. He was over nine feet tall....Now David... was from Norfolk State in the MEAC.... Then he... chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd's bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.....As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine... The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.
Kyle O'Quinn wrote:
“We messed up some brackets! We messed up some brackets!"
:o Wow! There goes one of my final four picks. :oops:

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:31 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=201203160367

1 Samuel 17: A champion named Goliath, who was from Missouri, came out of the Big12 camp. He was over nine feet tall....Now David... was from Norfolk State in the MEAC.... Then he... chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd's bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.....As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine... The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.
Kyle O'Quinn wrote:
“We messed up some brackets! We messed up some brackets!"
:o Wow! There goes one of my final four picks. :oops:

I love it! Virginia schools never get any love- even for what they did last year, VCU probably wouldn't have gotten an at-large this year. I want to see VCU get a shot at Kentucky, more than anything in this tournament. Oh, and Lehigh? LEHIGH??? HAHAHAHA!! :lol:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 pm

kvndoom wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
1 Samuel 17:50 So David won the fight against Goliath with a sling and a stone. He struck the Philistine down and killed him. He did it without even using a sword.
Oh, and Lehigh? LEHIGH??? HAHAHAHA!! :lol:
I had Duke losing to Baylor in the sweet 16, not making it to the final four. However, feel free to substitute Coach K. and/or John Beilein for Goliath if it makes the story more entertaining for you.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37 pm

kvndoom wrote:
Oh, and Lehigh? LEHIGH??? HAHAHAHA!! :lol:

Go go Patriot League. Colgate grad here.

I had Duke losing to Notre Dame in Round 2, so that one wasn't so painful. Mizzou, OTOH ...

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:07 am

well I guess randomness can work against you... My biggest fail was picking U of M (Michigan) to go all the way. Meh, eff you Ohio! :P

But on the TR brackets, I picked 18 winners, and 14 losers.

On another bracket I'm in, I did slightly better with 22 winners and 10 losers, but again, I picked Michigan to go all the way.

Shows you how much I don't know about sports. As if you didn't know this already!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:23 am

Second Chance group has just been created. For those new to it, once the Sweet 16 is set, you get another go-round. Invites sent to all currently in the group. For those who would like to join in:

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t2

[TR] Gerbils Second Chance
Group ID #4656
Password: damage

EDIT: For the record, there is not a single perfect bracket remaining in either the Yahoo! or ESPN competitions. Yahoo has 2 of 3,170,914 with 30 of 32 and ESPN has 4 of 6.45 million with the same 30 of 32.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:59 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Second Chance group has just been created. For those new to it, once the Sweet 16 is set, you get another go-round. Invites sent to all currently in the group. For those who would like to join in: http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t2

[TR] Gerbils Second Chance / Group ID #4656 / Password: damage

I joined it. But did I do it right? It doesn't appear to be under the "TR" group:

Captain Ned wrote:
EDIT: For the record, there is not a single perfect bracket remaining in either the Yahoo! or ESPN competitions. Yahoo has 2 of 3,170,914 with 30 of 32 and ESPN has 4 of 6.45 million with the same 30 of 32.

lol. bracket fail.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:19 am

You need to click on the "Join Group" link and input the group data.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:22 am

Captain Ned wrote:
You need to click on the "Join Group" link and input the group data.

thank you. fixed!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:14 am

Second Chance brackets are ready for loading. Have at.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 am

Nice job on the Cincy sweet 16 pick Ned.

In other tournament news, UNC fans should be a little worried. He might be able to play, but losing Kendall Marshall for any amount of time may do them in this year. Being a graduate of the University of Kansas, I really do hope the kid is okay and want him to play, but a little bit of me doesn't want him to play either.

I'm going to the Elite8 game in Boston this year. I hope it's Syracuse/Ohio State even though I have Wiscy/Ohio State in my bracket. Much rather see Syracuse than that boring, slow game that Wisconsin will make it.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:41 am

First Chance; Second Chance.

Why do I bother?

[/Jackie Mason}

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:59 pm

It's down to idchafee and Adam for the overall brackets. They both picked Kansas to make the final four while Captain Ned and I picked North Carolina.

It's between Adam and me for the second chance brackets.

The result of both contests depends on the outcome of the Kansas vs. Ohio State game.