Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

valentine
Gerbil
Topic Author

Adding a repeater to an airport extreme wireless network

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:00 am

I'm trying to boost the wireless signal strength to my desktop which is connected to a wireless-n network created by an apple airport extreme router. Due to reasons that aren't worth getting into I can't move either the router nor my desktop, and running a cable isn't an option either. So I figure adding a second router as a repeater is my best option, but I have never attempted this before so I would appreciate a bit of guidance.

It looks like adding a second airport extreme router would be the simplest route, and likely be the most pain free route, but I'm not exactly made of money and $180 CAD is a bit tough to swallow. How would I fare trying to use a cheaper, non-apple wireless-n router as a repeater for the airport extreme?

And finally, what kind of performance should I expect if I can get everything humming along nicely? Does adding a repeater create noticeable added latency?

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Re: Adding a repeater to an airport extreme wireless network

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 pm

it shouldn't add noticeable latency. I've been gaming on a network consisting of two airport expresses without any problems for a few years. I don't see why a non-apple repeater wouldn't work.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T