Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Failed SSD - What would you do?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:08 am

My SSD failed about a week or two ago. It was an Indilinx based drive, so when I sent it back in for warranty repair I was told that the drive was discontinued and they no longer had any. Instead, they offered me a 120GB drive (my original was 128GB) based on the latest SandForce controller: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820211588

They're great on paper, but I've heard plenty of BSOD issues with these drives on forums and such. I'm real big on stability and reliability and the Sandforce drives have me worried. On top of that, I'm losing ~8GB. I don't care terribly about performance between SSDs. It's all about the fast random access and having programs open faster, not necessarily fast transfer speeds.

I'm thinking my options are A) Keep it and cross my fingers or B) Sell it and spend the new income on a new Samsung 830 or Crucial m4.

What would you do?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Failed SSD - What would you do?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:52 am

I'd take it, install it, and make sure I had the latest firmware.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'd take it, install it, and make sure I had the latest firmware.

Ditto.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:21 pm

So your choice is between Nothing, and Something? Personally, I would take Something :wink:

As the others noted, make sure it's got the latest firmware. If you're still not comfortable using it as a system drive, then maybe use it as an auxiliary drive for, say, frequently-played games.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Well... it was more a choice between keeping and selling, but I get the idea. :P

Anyhoo, thanks for the replies. I'm feeling much better about this drive after doing some more reading so as long as I've got the latest firmware I should be A-OK. I'm still bummed about losing 8GB, but it's going to be a much faster SSD so I can live with it.

Reason I was mostly worried about the drive was I like to do my upgrades in cycles (kinda like Intel's tick-tock) and this one was a tock (new motherboard, and processor). I like to keep the changes at a minimum because I hate troubleshooting brand new builds. :wink:

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Ryhadar wrote:
Anyhoo, thanks for the replies. I'm feeling much better about this drive after doing some more reading so as long as I've got the latest firmware I should be A-OK. I'm still bummed about losing 8GB, but it's going to be a much faster SSD so I can live with it.

IIRC, you shouldn't have lost any space. All drives use some of their space for redundancy and with few exceptions, the 120GB and 128GB SSDs usually have just about the same amount of usable space.

DCAVALLARO
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Make sure they have a really good warranty. my Corsair crashed and this is the answer i got back from their warranty center.Technical Support Use Parted Magic to secure erase the drive, then install windows.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... artedmagic
Make sure you are running the latest firmware on the drive.
I am running windows 7 64 bit and they want me to put in a program that is Linux based to fix the drive. Now is it just me or is this just ad customer service.
FORCE GT 120GB 6 months old. Playing alot of Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim Elder Scrolls along with Biowar.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Corsair's RMA process is a pain in the butt.

Not only did they give me the runaround before allowing the RMA of my totally-dead SSD, once they had my drive, they kept it well beyond their posted policy for replacement. Worse still, the drive that they sent as a replacement is defective. :roll:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Readers of my Federal Agency X stories know the incompetence of X. Well, the lappy they gave me has an SSD, make/model unknown at present. Given the stories I've heard here I've become a zealot WRT backup on that lappy.

Guess I'll have to get out the mini-screwdrivers and find out exactly what I have.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Compton
Gerbil

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:37 pm

There is that option. But there are quite a few portable installations of programs that can, you know, do this for you.

Just sayin'.

But if it's using some special FW it might not be detected. Most OEM drives are Toshiba or Samsung (though there are a few others now, especially with mSATA form factors). Anything modern-Samsung could be the PM800/810/830. If it's Toshiba, you'd know as it's 4Ks would be dumpy.

The (PM)830 is OEM on many higher-end laptops now, and I think that's kinda awesome myself.