Console vs. gaming PC

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Re: Console vs. gaming PC

Postposted on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:52 am

The console-PC divide is a clear one with analogues to the tablet-PC divide. A console(or tablet) is a consumption device, a PC is a creation device. If you don't create anything electronically then there is no benefit to buying a PC over a console. If you create ANYTHING electronically which necessitates that you have a PC anyway then the PC wins over a console because it provides that dual function. There is no benefit to redundant consumption ability created by buying a console in addition to a PC unless they are to be used by multiple parties or there are specific games only available on a certain platform which you must play. If a PC is a necessity then superior performance will be enjoyed over a console at a lower cost.
Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | Asus DirectCU II R9 290 4GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 pm

If you don't create anything electronically then there is no benefit to buying a PC over a console.

When talking about games, it's inherently a matter of recreation, not creation. I guess you can say you're "creating" something when you download mods and tweak .ini files, but as I said before, if I'm doing that, then I'm not playing a game.

You can not play games on anything. Heck, I glance out my window and lo! A rock! I can not play games on that rock! Forsooth! Behold! A slab of concrete! I can not play games on that slab of concrete! By that metric, a rock or slab of concrete is just as good as a PC when it comes to not playing games.

More mental gymnastics. Games games games. These are fun toys for entertainment. Anything other than that is essentially desperate hunting for justification for an otherwise unjustifiable personal preference, which itself is just a manifestation of insecurity.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 pm

SPOOFE wrote:More mental gymnastics. Games games games. These are fun toys for entertainment. Anything other than that is essentially desperate hunting for justification for an otherwise unjustifiable personal preference, which itself is just a manifestation of insecurity.

Stop it, the truth hurts too much! :P

As an aside, people with PS3s and no Xbox 360s should check out MotionInJoy. It'll let you use your PS3 controller as an Xbox 360 controller in PC games (or normal gamepad for those games that still support such a thing). Makes some of the shoddier console ports a lot less rage-inducing to play (WTF is the A button?! Button 1? What the hell is Button 1?! :x ).
Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Recall that the supposed source of contention between the console and PC crowds is the alleged phenomenon of "consolitis", in which "consoles" are somehow doing something bad to "PCs" somehow, somehow, somehow. I broke this whole thing down earlier in the thread (and in a few other threads).

People like Kamikaze need to hold on to this "consolitis" thing: It explains why every game isn't pure, unadulterated awesome and why they don't feel as fulfilled playing games today as they did ten or twenty years ago, why they might feel like there is some sort of lack in their leisure time, or whatever. It's a simple patch to cover up the muddy issues revolving around complex subjects as profitability, feasibility, technical possibilities, etc. Like I said before, they don't like that high-budget, high-art-asset, triple-A titles that use lots of hyphens to describe their flashiness require the market penetration and predictable consumer involvement that currently only can be found in the console market.

How do I know this? I don't have any special insight or secret knowledge. I'm just looking at where the money goes. PC gaming right now is dominated by one major old-studio game, and the new upstart Zynga. The console world, on the other hand, has all sorts of churn and shifting and dozens of developers moving boatloads of product. There's no inherent, magic reason for this; that's just how trends have played out, and that discussion is likely to be a fascinating one, but certainly not with whiners moping about how "consolitis" ruined their marriages and gave them bad teeth.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Hmm... spoofe :roll:

I don't think a platform is bad because of anything. Microsoft didn't make COD MP a design nightmare, lol. Actually I would go so far as to say that platform specific games typically are better than cross platform games, and I'll say why... FOCUS.

What you've claimed is so far from the reality of how things are let alone my opinion of them.

Consoles didn't kill or consolize anything, lol. I'm trying to figure out how to break down the layers of complex history/marketing/design/etc. to you without wasting too much of my time.

In days gone by, consoles where one thing and PC's were another. It literally was this huge divide. Consoles used to have plug and play perfection(that old notion that they just worked, were pretty perfect for what they were was justified). Games could have issues but those were more of the bad design type than issues related to platform. You'll remember that up until this past generation the most prevalent, highly reviewed, and successful genres where platformers, and action games with the occasional JRPG touching our blessed shores. FPS games struggled on consoles, you can count the decent ones on a hand and they still didn't hold a candle to what was happening on that other platform(PC) at the time if you played both. Entire genres where pretty platform specific. (fighter, sim, fps, 3PS, RTS, RPG, JRPG, MMO etc...)

The internet finally happened to consoles, I mean we had little things here and there but really it wasn't core to development until this gen when day one patches DLC and the like became except-able for AAA games across the board. HD finally happened too and along with a few other things there was a merging of the horizons.

This really F'd allot of things up for so many companies, japan is besides itself. Its nearly crushed former giants. Consoles really struggled with patches, and putting out unfinished products for a while. They had and still have allot to learn in the MP arena of design. For competitive MP it seems that BALANCE and LEVEL DESIGN, really aren't that important on the consoles. Genres that never took off because of a mix of reasons finally were exploding, shooters have nearly obliterated everything, shooters account for more than half of game sales now. Old Genres were just not keeping up, many hadn't fundamentally changed since 3D and really struggled with the new design paradigm. People say consoles lower gaming standards, well the same goes the other way, adventure, and platform games along with others haven't managed to compete. Former giants now felt like good not great franchises, they didn't get any worse... the others just got so much better. Consoles are overwhelmed by old PC ills, they have DRM, DLC, patches, bugs, balance issues, griefing, technical issues, connection issue when your internet is fine, they even have new issues PC doesn't have... payed for services to access basic content on your disk.

Because of the "LOW" Barrier to entry, consoles have always had a mass market appeal. The new cross platform development was much more keen on product testing. While good designs came from this (health regen anyone) we also got stuck with gimmicks like kill streaks that fundamentally broke the game. You had the horrible development of peer hosting the decline of dedicated servers so many bad bad bad things that have really irked the PC crowd, "WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THIS ALREADY!" is my feeling. When the install limits for my PC games mirrors the online pass limits me on my console I feel trapped. Why is it when you try to make things simple so many people end up making stupid mistakes... Simple should not inhibit function! My personal opinion is that most people are just too stupid or ignorant to know any better. Why are the most stupid movies frequently the BLOCK BUSTER, probably because movies with content is just too much for the reality TV loving american. Why does the xbox increase in sales year over year when the product failure rates have climbed up towards 100 percent? People are stupid. Its not the console its not the game its the audience. Why is twighlight so successful, People are stupid. Why do most people never get out of debt their entire lives, they aren't smart enough to discern how to. We can go on and on but its consumeritise not consolitise. FYI we have this on PC, you heard of zynga, played a FB game lately... a few cool ones but mostly garbage. All those problems consoles are having with old PC issues are also being revisted onto pc thanks to the new cross platform development.

This gen we have Expensive hardware, the current leading platform is a heaping pile of engineering garbage. Balance, design issues are rife across platforms in a way they shouldn't be on such a fundamental level. Why oh why is spawn killing yet again an issue in games??? Why did a company think, "Hey if we let joe kill matt, then give joe a button to kill matt again that would be great fun for joe wouldn't it!" Why does the idea of quick saving or saving anywhere burn the ears of console developers while at the same time they fail to understand how to place way/check points. MP design and balance is lost in favor of leveling mechanics, you can have both you know! SP experiences are story rich gameplay light most of the time.

Probably the one AMAZING thing to come out of this mess in the short term is the indie game scene. Smaller quality downloadable titles are IMHO saving the industry. They are informing the super studios how its done. These gems are on every platform! If I ever said, hey consoles are the bane of the PC I'm sorry I was wrong, please quote that post so I can apologize.

I believe as the platforms merge we will seen platform agnostic licenses and or distribution, cross platform development will die as all platforms will be the same or interconnected. like getting an i-phone game then using it on your i-pad, extrapolate that huge leap into across all platforms. digital is definitely the way forward. There will always be games that suck that are successful as is the same with music, movies and TV. More people watch american idol than game of thrones... that will never change.

Sorry SPOOFE if this offends
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 pm

SPOOFE wrote:[quoteMore mental gymnastics. Games games games. These are fun toys for entertainment. Anything other than that is essentially desperate hunting for justification for an otherwise unjustifiable personal preference, which itself is just a manifestation of insecurity.

You do understand that what constitutes fun is subjective your entire logic here folds into itself creating a black hole of logically fallacy.

Trolling forums could constitute gameplay right? There are rules etc... playing COD MP could constitute torture. What is a game, pong??? Does a game require fun? Is a game a set of rules? If minecraft is a game about creation is it not a game to you because of this or because its on pc or both? I'm just super confused here.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 pm

SPOOFE wrote:The console world, on the other hand, has all sorts of churn and shifting and dozens of developers moving boatloads of product. There's no inherent, magic reason for this; that's just how trends have played out, and that discussion is likely to be a fascinating one, but certainly not with whiners moping about how "consolitis" ruined their marriages and gave them bad teeth.

:-?

Do you know anything about marketing, consumers, Average intelligence? While the prevalence of cross platform development has brought back some unforgivable design tropes I don't think its the consoles that did it. Its the consumers. The same people who don't know how to adjust resolution typically don't know jack about anything. I know you can't be bothered, not talking about you. I'm talking about all the monday morning QBs. I'm an industrial designer by trade and I've dabbled in game design. There is this amazing principle of work, diminishing returns... Why do I sit at my job and type this crap instead of working? I do it because there is no reason not to. I get my pay I am well received by my management and co-workers my work is done in a timely fashion. I got my bonus last year. This same work ethic principle drips into game production. Designers know better but don't bother with stuff they don't think 90 percent of gamers will ever understand when targeting a mass market. Make it look pretty, work on a basic level, simple as possible, and market it. BAM! You don't need to have good design. To make a AAA game successful you buy reviews, you get pre-orders and bam you sold 3 million units before the real reviews hit 7 days after launch. Mean while look at how better under marketed games do, even on consoles if there isn't a number after the title or a gun on the cover it only moves 200,000 units.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:Why do I sit at my job and type this crap instead of working? I do it because there is no reason not to. I get my pay I am well received by my management and co-workers my work is done in a timely fashion. I got my bonus last year.
Your company is horribly mismanaged and you are under-worked. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:59 am

Vrock wrote:
kamikaziechameleon wrote:Why do I sit at my job and type this crap instead of working? I do it because there is no reason not to. I get my pay I am well received by my management and co-workers my work is done in a timely fashion. I got my bonus last year.
Your company is horribly mismanaged and you are under-worked. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Don't worry Half of the year I work 70 to 80 hr weeks. I'm totally miss managed, not going to argue that, lol. I actually don't like this, you try filling months on end with INTERESTING web surfing, you quickly end up in flame wars on forums... not what I went to school for, its not what I took this job for. :(

EDIT: And yes I've sat down with each and every one of my managers to express my "issues" I have with our process. Nothing has come of it :roll:
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 am

I prefer PC

but some games are not available on PC so i have to use console
like silent hill downpour
normandyN7
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:45 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
consoles have to be setup.

I don't have to "explore" how to plug in two cables or press X a bunch of times. It was patently obvious. Digging through an .ini file is NOT patently obvious.

Curious tidbit here. The only PC games where I've had to dig through a .ini are ridiculously crappy ports, which have been in turn caused by consolization. For instance, Rage.

TDIdriver wrote:This thread is troll-bait.

I believe that is the point of this thread. It relieves the tension and animosity between the camps. It's a flame thread with a purpose.

SPOOFE wrote:Recall that the supposed source of contention between the console and PC crowds is the alleged phenomenon of "consolitis", in which "consoles" are somehow doing something bad to "PCs" somehow, somehow, somehow. I broke this whole thing down earlier in the thread (and in a few other threads).

**** son, how can you keep thinking this? It's like being a german nazi in WW2 at a deathcamp and proclaiming you never knew what was going on. I personally saw you try to rationalize how consolization doesn't exist and I even fought against it with numerous examples, then finally gave up because you just kept spouting the same crap. Consolization IS a real thing, it's a fact of life, it's why we've been stuck in this same niche of boring games for the last 7 or so years, it's why we're finally breaking out of it with games like Firefall, GW2, BF3, and League of Legends because people are tired of the same **** experience they find on consoles. So they're looking for something new and it's remarkably successful ...for some reason.

Consoles ARE detrimental to gaming as a whole, not console gaming, not social gaming, not PC gaming, ALL GAMING. They cause game developers to aim for the same exact baseline not just in terms of graphical fidelity, but also gameplay and quality in general. It becomes methodical and lethargic, inducing spouts of boredom that cause people to go and look for other things to do. Consoles have been dead weights on the boots of gaming ever since MS and it's liken proclaimed that 'PC gaming was dying'.

kamikaziechameleon wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to break down the layers of complex history/marketing/design/etc. to you without wasting too much of my time.

This is the hardest part of topics like this. Usually the most inflammatory posts that take the longest to decipher and breakdown are made by the most obtuse individuals, so you spend tons of time debunking what they say only for them to come and repeat it again a bit later. In essence it really has to make you wonder if he knows this and is doing it on purpose (trolling). I've often times found myself not wanting to visit forums precisely because of posts like this, because of the time commitment required to type out a well thought out post and have someone type a three minute reply basically saying 'NOU'.

Given I don't have the same views on all parts of the topic as you do. You're probably smarter for not falling into defining what is and is not, what has and has not concerning the whole idea of consolization when he rejected any idea of it so firmly.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:54 pm

The only PC games where I've had to dig through a .ini are ridiculously crappy ports, which have been in turn caused by consolization. For instance, Rage.

The games in which you HAVE to dig through an .ini file are few and far between... appearing with about the same frequency as they did back when - say it with me, kids! - PC's ruled the roost.

The earlier assertion was an attempt to equivocate the setting up of a console versus rummaging around in an .ini file, and the two are just completely different leagues.

**** son, how can you keep thinking this?

Because I'm right. Because I remember the '90s. Because I don't have rose-colored glasses.

I personally saw you try to rationalize how consolization doesn't exist

You personally MISINTERPRETED my statements about how "consolitis" existed before consoles dominated the gaming scene. Ergo, it can't be consolitis. In fact, I even identified the actual cause of the culprit - popularity - and feel I supported that assertion just fine. If you feel you have a legitimate counter-argument I'd love to read it.

Consolization IS a real thing, it's a fact of life, it's why we've been stuck in this same niche of boring games for the last 7 or so years

I don't think we've been stuck in "this same niche of boring games" at all. Certainly no more so than during the '90s, an era I remember oh so clearly.

Consoles ARE detrimental to gaming as a whole

Incorrect. I've already dealt with this: A platform accessible and preferred by a larger number of people yields greater potential reward for large monetary investments in gaming, encouraging more AAA titles (of which we've had many).

They cause game developers to aim for the same exact baseline not just in terms of graphical fidelity, but also gameplay and quality in general.

... As opposed to the massive volume advantage you get by targeting tiny niches?

What you're really dissatisfied with is your fellow gaming audience for not having the same likes and dislikes that you do. If everyone were like you, every game ever made would be exactly to your tastes.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Consoles ARE detrimental to gaming as a whole
Shut. The. ****. Up. Millions and millions of people everyday say **** you when it comes to what you think is detrimental to gaming. And that's what really pisses you off. You're the minority. Like any minority, you feel the system should be forced to see things your way. Well, too **** bad. See, consoles wouldn't exist if they weren't popular, and games for them wouldn't exist if people didn't think they were fun and buy them. If PC games were really the bee's knees, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now, and you could go back to masturbating to your gay midget porn collection on your 3 TB external hard drive.

The problem isn't the consoles. IT'S YOU. You're the **** problem. You have different tastes than the masses. Oh well. Welcome to the club. Everyone has different tastes in something. That doesn't mean your tastes are better, or right, or whatever. It means they're yours. And there's nothing wrong with that. So quit your goddamned bitching about everyone and everything that doesn't share your tastes. I can promise you they don't give two donkey craps about your tastes, do them the same courtesy.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:04 am

I agree with vrock 1000%. Thanks.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 am

I'm with Vrock here too but the whole conversation is terrible. "PC gaming" has never been better, ditto "gaming in general".

Online retailers (GOG!) already have orders of magnitude more games than anybody could ever play. Unless you're a loathsome hipster neophile you can't possibly want for games. Coverage and reviews are good, dedicated communities spring up around games from two-person indie studios and AAA behemoths alike (meritocracy!), conventions are great, gaming bars are popping up, we're in a post-geek/nerd culture in many places... Hell, getting into development is trivially easy if you have some discipline — all this sprawling growth and interesting stuff and gee, let's whinge about it.

I wonder how long it'll take for "personal computers" to be standardized enough that contrasting them with consoles will be unnecessary. Let it be soon.
Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Console gameing is like fast food and PC gaming is like fine dining.
Sure, Vrock is right.. america is full of idiots eating at McDonalds and Arbys. But some of us like real food. Food with a soul rather than fat layered fat.

Even I, sometimes whip through Burger King or some such if I'm in a rush but this happens about once or twice a year... and if you really want something that tastes good, you're not going there. Why then do the fast food places still exist? Because they're popular. Exactly like consoles. It's easy. 12 year olds with ADD can figure out 6 buttons.

There are some games like racing games, tennis, ect that I'd much rather play on a console. FPS, though, is steak. And fast food places don't serve steak.
----

So, in closing, the millions of people stuffing their face at McDonalds will probably never care that there are places you can buy and eat real food.
It doesn't pay to try to convince them that real food is better than the crap they eat. Fact of the matter is, Vrock is right and the majority like that crap or it wouldn't be selling.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:39 pm

PC gaming is like fine dining.

That's right, just the other day, I was at a five-star restaurant, and when my filet mignon stuffed with lobster showed up, I had to open the .ini file and spend six hours tweaking settings, and then I had to go to a whole 'nother restaurant to download some mods to really get the meal how I like it.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:42 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
PC gaming is like fine dining.
That's right, just the other day, I was at a five-star restaurant, and when my filet mignon stuffed with lobster showed up, I had to open the .ini file and spend six hours tweaking settings, and then I had to go to a whole 'nother restaurant to download some mods to really get the meal how I like it.

So you'd had the meal before? How did you know "how you really liked it"? Did you read a review of the meal beforehand? Took the advice of a bunch of reviewers? If so, surely you knew beforehand the technical difficulties you were wading into. If you knew you were gonna mod things up before you started, it's either sour grapes that you didn't go to the spoon-feeding establishment (console) or realization of your own obtuseness. Regardless, weak analogy is frail.

I would rewrite that phrase you quoted to be something like "Console gameing is like eating out and PC gaming is like cooking a meal yourself". *shrug*

I'm not sure what your experience has been, but of the last 50-odd PC games I've played, all but three have loaded up and played just fine from the start. Later on I was often granted the ability (thanks to modders) to replay the content in higher fidelity, and in many cases with extra bits added in! I sometimes got total conversions which were entirely new games for free (in the case of Civ IV I got like three of those, and for HL2 it was over a dozen).

The console experience is simpler and more straightforward than PC, certainly, but there's a large crowd of people for whom modding and tinkering with PC games is second nature and indeed some consider it part of "the experience". Feel free to poo-poo that all you want, but hobbies are hobbies! And again, it's anecdotal, but in my experience PC games aren't that much of a technical crapshoot as you seem to suggest (maybe that's just hyperbole).
Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Well, if I were to invest in a gaming system, I'd go with at least a mid-ranged gaming PC and preferably a high-end one, since I can't rent that (most internet cafes/LAN shops are at the low-ranged specs, sometimes there are shops with mid-range units though).

Then I can just rent consoles.
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU
entropy13
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:24 pm

So you'd had the meal before?

Yes, I've played PC games before.

I would rewrite that phrase you quoted to be something like "Console gameing is like eating out and PC gaming is like cooking a meal yourself".

It's funny that you post such a weak analogy immediately after lambasting a weak analogy. Why can't we say "console gaming is like gaming and PC gaming is like gaming"? How on earth have you people so consistently missed the equivocation I've been making this whole thread?

I'm not sure what your experience has been, but of the last 50-odd PC games I've played, all but three have loaded up and played just fine from the start.

You haven't been paying attention to this thread. Customizing, tweaking, mods, .ini files, and the like have all been touted as MAJOR PLUSSES for PC gaming by the PC acolyte crowd. It's absolutely senseless to use their arguments in criticism of mine.

The console experience is simpler and more straightforward than PC

Yes. EXACTLY.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:48 pm

SPOOFE, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I'm going to say here right now that editing settings, beyond what the powers that be thought necessary to include in the game's menu, really does help to improve the PC gaming experience. The other edge of that knife is that console titles are better tested and should therefore not need those extra settings to fix whatever failings they might fix on the PC side.

However, those settings not only fix stuff that we might perceive as being wrong or bugged, they can also just tailor the experience more to our liking. And in some cases, the modding potential of the PC platform is what makes the game playable at all. One example would be World of Tanks, the playability of which was enormously increased for me by a modification for the colour blind. Had that game be released on a console instead of the PC, I would have been **** out of luck.

Moreover, that console titles are tested more rigorously (or so I am told) does not preclude the publishers from applying the same effort to QA'ing PC titles. They just don't choose to, because in general they're a bunch of moneygrubbing bastards who don't care for gamers further than they can reach in our collective wallets. In case of console titles, they're forced to spend this time and money because Microsoft and Sony don't want their platforms associated with buggy releases.
Firestarter
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:50 pm

SPOOFE wrote:Yes, I've played PC games before.

So you went in knowing what to expect, and you were mad about it afterwards. "I know that if I hit myself in the face, I won't enjoy it. But nonetheless, I will hit myself in the face and complain about it afterwards." Your analogy was just as weak as danny e.'s

SPOOFE wrote:It's funny that you post such a weak analogy immediately after lambasting a weak analogy. Why can't we say "console gaming is like gaming and PC gaming is like gaming"? How on earth have you people so consistently missed the equivocation I've been making this whole thread?

I was agreeing with you that his analogy was weak and actually supporting your own crappy analogy by trying to make it more applicable. Haha!

SPOOFE wrote:You haven't been paying attention to this thread. Customizing, tweaking, mods, .ini files, and the like have all been touted as MAJOR PLUSSES for PC gaming by the PC acolyte crowd. It's absolutely senseless to use their arguments in criticism of mine.

I have been paying attention, actually. It's not senseless to use "their arguments" here — many people do consider all the extra content and extra stuff you can do with PC games to be "major plusses" and this is true regardless of whether you personally think they are "major plusses".

SPOOFE wrote:
Jambe wrote:The console experience is simpler and more straightforward than PC

Yes. EXACTLY.

So... is that the end of it, or are you implying that simpler gaming platforms are better than complicated ones? This ties into the preceding response — I mentioned that people like extra content and tinkering because, hey, simple doesn't always equal better.
Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:58 pm

danny e. wrote:Console gameing is like fast food and PC gaming is like fine dining.
Sure, Vrock is right.. america is full of idiots eating at McDonalds and Arbys. But some of us like real food. Food with a soul rather than fat layered fat.

Even I, sometimes whip through Burger King or some such if I'm in a rush but this happens about once or twice a year... and if you really want something that tastes good, you're not going there. Why then do the fast food places still exist? Because they're popular. Exactly like consoles. It's easy. 12 year olds with ADD can figure out 6 buttons.

There are some games like racing games, tennis, ect that I'd much rather play on a console. FPS, though, is steak. And fast food places don't serve steak.
----

So, in closing, the millions of people stuffing their face at McDonalds will probably never care that there are places you can buy and eat real food.
It doesn't pay to try to convince them that real food is better than the crap they eat. Fact of the matter is, Vrock is right and the majority like that crap or it wouldn't be selling.

Good post, danny e.! I don't play the Xbox 360 or Wii much anymore (they are very good for a few types of games), and your post sums up my feelings exactly.
GA-EP45-UD3R, E8500, NZXT Tempest, MSI N260 OC (216 cores), Core Contact Freezer
Corsair HX520, 4GB Mushkin DDR2 800, WD AALS 640 GB, Vista Home Premium 64 bit
LafInBob
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:38 pm

SPOOFE, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I'm going to say here right now that editing settings, beyond what the powers that be thought necessary to include in the game's menu, really does help to improve the PC gaming experience.

Then I can only invite you to read the rest of this thread.

So you went in knowing what to expect, and you were mad about it afterwards.

I don't know what you think you're arguing at this point, but it isn't video games. I don't know where you got "mad" from. Please stop making up fictional things that I never said and then attributing it to me.

Your analogy was just as weak as danny e.'s

My analogy only exists if Danny's isn't weak. That's kind of what "taking someone's analogy" entails.

I was agreeing with you that his analogy was weak and actually supporting your own crappy analogy by trying to make it more applicable. Haha!

You were communicating in a very awkward way and your audience doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. Haha!

I have been paying attention, actually.

Incorrect.

So... is that the end of it

I would love to see an end to your inability to communicate coherently, sure.

or are you implying that simpler gaming platforms are better than complicated ones?

I DO NOT THINK one is "better" than the other, and I have consistently stated as such.
Last edited by SPOOFE on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 pm

just so you know, if a post

looks

this

no one cares what you have to say
Firestarter
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Not my problem if people want to drown the forum in gibberish. If they don't want 90% of their posts pared down to key, salient points, they shouldn't make 90% of their posts.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm

SPOOFE wrote:I don't know what you think you're arguing at this point, but it isn't video games. I don't know where you got "mad" from. Please stop making up fictional things that I never said and then attributing it to me.

Your original analogy. I'm not mad — you are some character. Either you have a massive overinflated ego, you're projecting, or you can't follow a simple quote string that my eight-yo nephew could decipher. Maybe some of all three, but this is all very straightforward speech.

SPOOFE wrote:I DO NOT THINK one is "better" than the other, and I have consistently stated as such.

Yeah, we're in agreement there. I prefer PC gaming to console gaming, but these things are matters of taste, ultimately. It's like preferring Go to chess.
Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm not mad

Neither am I. Yet you're the one that accused me of being "mad". I asked you where you got this notion and all of a sudden I get to experience you projecting your moral shortcomings on to me.

you can't follow a simple quote string that my eight-yo nephew could decipher.

Pure comedy.

Yeah, we're in agreement there.

So you're just trolling.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:39 pm

SPOOFE wrote:Neither am I. Yet you're the one that accused me of being "mad". I asked you where you got this notion and all of a sudden I get to experience you projecting your moral shortcomings on to me.

For the third time now, I was talking about your analogy. Am to infer that, in your analogy, you were actually happy because you "had to open the .ini file and spend six hours tweaking settings, and then had to go to a whole 'nother restaurant to download some mods to really get the meal how [you] like it"?

SPOOFE wrote:Pure comedy.

It is indeed comical that you take a direct reference to your own silly analogies personally. Maybe my ego comment was on the right track? I don't hate you.

SPOOFE wrote:So you're just trolling.

Ah, right, I find something you posted objectionable, therefore I am a troll. Well you, sir, are a dill pickle — a dill pickle that's past its prime.
Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:44 pm

For the third time now, I was talking about your analogy

No, you weren't. "My analogy" was a device to point out how Danny's analogy doesn't work at all. That's it. In other words, PC GAMING IS NOT LIKE FINE DINING.

Anything you have to say after that is just trolling.

Am to infer that, in your analogy, you were actually happy because you "had to open the .ini file and spend six hours tweaking settings, and then had to go to a whole 'nother restaurant to download some mods to really get the meal how [you] like it"?

No, you are not to infer that, although you wouldn't be inferring that if you'd been paying attention. Sorry, dude, but I have no interest in spoon-feeding you people.

It is indeed comical that you take a direct reference to your own silly analogies personally.

Trolling.

I don't hate you.

You just hate facts, truth, and logic.

Ah, right, I find something you posted objectionable, therefore I am a troll.

Obvious troll is obvious.
SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming