Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Where did this come from? (Logitech K400)

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 am

I have spent a LOT of time researching the perfect HTPC keyboard/mouse and my conclusion so far is that they all suck in some way. Luckily I'm happy with my combination of a Microsoft Arc keyboard and a Logitch M570 trackball for couch use. However, today I noticed the Logitech K400 for $35 in an email from NewEgg... I had never seen it before but it looks like it has a lot of potential, good size, good range/solid connectivity (I trust Logitech above all others there) and a great price. If I was still in the market I'd snap one up in a second even though I prefer a scroll wheel to multitouch scrolling... Hmmm... Maybe I "need" one for the photobooth computer... Maybe one is in my shopping cart right now... :wink:

Edit: Ordered :oops:

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Where did this come from? (Logitech K400)

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:57 am

That looks nice, but I still have my heart set on this.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:13 am

I think that's the wireless keyboard we got for one of our test rigs at work (it's a cockpit mockup so not having wires trailing all over the place is a big plus), and I haven't heard any complaints.

In general, I trust Logitech more for mice than for keyboards though... the last couple of Logitech keyboards I've bought for personal use have been disappointing.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:55 am

You know, I think I've noticed that out of the corner of my eye when surfing new egg too.

It's like they want me to pick it up. Is it new?

I've got one of their very thin but fullsize wireless keyboards for my HTPC, and it works fine...so I'm thinking I should say no. But then again, I can spare 35 bucks, and ifts smaller and takes up less storage space....

hmmmmmm.
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am

Yeah.. I've got an app for my Playbook that allows me to use it as a mouse and keyboard for my HTPC. Tablets are great <3
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:02 am

Philldoe wrote:
Yeah.. I've got an app for my Playbook that allows me to use it as a mouse and keyboard for my HTPC. Tablets are great <3

which app is that? I've got the playbook too.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:15 am

Arvald wrote:
Philldoe wrote:

which app is that? I've got the playbook too.

It's recently been submitted to App World. Once it's there I'll post a link to it. The dev goes by MaxxJag on crackberry.com

Until this came about I had been using aVNC which wasn't bad but wasn't the easiest thing in the world to use. Splashtop seems to have hit it big with the Playbook userbase but I didn't feel like shelling out more cash for another VNC style client knowing the Touchpad app was around the corner.

Also... http://crackberry.com/first-look-blackberry-wireless-media-server-using-dlna
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 am

drfish wrote:
I have spent a LOT of time researching the perfect HTPC keyboard/mouse and my conclusion so far is that they all suck in some way. Luckily I'm happy with my combination of a Microsoft Arc keyboard and a Logitech M570 trackball for couch use. However, today I noticed the Logitech K400 for $35 in an email from NewEgg... I had never seen it before but it looks like it has a lot of potential, good size, good range/solid connectivity (I trust Logitech above all others there) and a great price. If I was still in the market I'd snap one up in a second even though I prefer a scroll wheel to multi-touch scrolling... Hmmm... Maybe I "need" one for the photo booth computer... Maybe one is in my shopping cart right now...

Logitech Unifying receiver = win (nothing else even comes close)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:41 am

Bluetooth should be even more convenient than the Logitech nano receiver. That way, I wouldn't have to use a USB port.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 am

I've got the Logitech DiNovo Mini which I like but due to its small size, you're not going to set any speed records for typing or mousing. When I purchased the DiNovo a few months ago ($100 on Amazon) I was looking for something like that K400 and I definetly didnt see it so it must be relatively new. Maybe because I was looking for bluetooth? Jeez, for $40 you cant beat it as long as it functions properly.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 am

I hope it doesn't have the same godawful input lag as the K350. I love this keyboard, but sometimes I really want to chuck it out the window!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 pm

drfish wrote:
Edit: Ordered :oops:
Care to post a follow-up in this thread when you've got it in your hands? Looks like a fair number of people would be interested in an informal review.

moriz
Gerbil XP

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:13 pm

i've had that keyboard for a while now.

usage wise, it is decent, but not great. it's maximum operating distance is 15 feet, and not an inch more it seems. the keys are surprisingly stiff AND mushy at the same time, meaning that they take a bit of force to press down, but have no feedback whatsoever. it also means that the keyboard cannot be used comfortably on the knees, because each keypress will throw it off balance. fortunately, the touch pad is large and responsive.

all in all, it is good for what you pay for, but there are probably better products out there.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:56 am

I've got to agree with moriz nearly across the board. Sadly the state of affairs for this sort of thing means I think its probably still the best option out there - especially considering its price and PERFECT connectivity (gleek is completely right).

Its super responsive and never missed a keystroke, mouse click, or cursor subtlety (multi-touch scrolling worked natively). I think you can type with it on your lap but its certainly not ideal... Its a little on the light side weight wise but I can understand how heft could be seen as a negative for its intended use. Overall I'd give it a 7/10 with the comment that even with that score it would be my first choice of any single device on the market designed to fill that niche (but I would expect a lot better from the keyboard if it cost much more). I like it more than that score would typically reflect.

FWIW I would give my combination of an Arc keyboard and M570 an 8/10... ...maybe a 9/10 if the price of the two devices wasn't double the cost of the K400...

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:49 pm

drfish wrote:
- especially considering its price and PERFECT connectivity (gleek is completely right).

Man... I should put that in my signature line! haha :P

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Interesting concept, this unifying receiver:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6126?pcid=6072

But why would this be better then a bluetooth recevier? Then you can use all sorts of periphrials besides just mice and keyboards? (Like wireless headphones and synching BT devices wirelessly, etc.) Range?

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:49 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Interesting concept, this unifying receiver: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6126?pcid=6072

But why would this be better then a bluetooth recevier? Then you can use all sorts of periphrials besides just mice and keyboards? (Like wireless headphones and synching BT devices wirelessly, etc.) Range?

Well, easy. For one, 90%+ of all mice/keyboards STILL are on the USB technology. What the unifying receiver does is makes it possible to use more then ONE device with one USB port used up.

It's mind-blowingly jawesome! It makes bluetooth look like a blonde girl starting at an orange juice can for 20 minutes because it said "Concentrate" on it...

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Well, it's better in that it doesn't have that annoying Bluetooth capability to mix and match the peripherals of your choice, and instead locks you into using only Logitech equipment. Of course that's better for Logitech, and not necessarily for you, but that's not what you were asking, right?

RhysAndrews
Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 pm

I've got a K400. It's fantastic for its price, and exactly what I needed for my HTPC Rig. Get it!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 pm

I wasn't considering Bluetooth in my statement. It was strictly a comment on Logitech's vs. everyone else's in house RF implementation.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:39 pm

In my living room i Use a MK-300,picked it up at staples for a whole 23$:)Now looking it up on Amazon....1st and only site i looked for price and specs.The dang thing is 67$ I guess i happened onto a good deal.I grabbed just for a HTPC. It has a few flaws,Range Is not very good about 7-9 ft but it has a 3-4 ft long usb connection cable so the receiver can be placed closer to you in some sneaky way,The multimedia functions are plain and simple but do work and its you basic rubber dome type keyboard so it can miss some inputs if your lite on your fingers.
Pros The mouse works fantastic,read on any surface and is very accurate, 1200 dpi so it has enough dpi to be fast and accurate.The only other pro is the batteries last a long time.But most of all price @ 23$ when i bought it 2 or more years ago I feel it was a great investment.It does its job....But at 67$ i would never rec it to anyone for that price.

I Really like the look of the K400 this post was started with,After reading some reviews on it.The main thing that grabs my attention is the nifty button on the left side of the keyboard that allows you to hold it like a game controller thus making the touchpad in my eyes much more useful and more comfortable to use.With a going price for around 35$ i want to get one just to try it out.I think it would put the MK-300 Into Mothballs for emergencies or possibly work.

In my Bedroom i am using a 2-3 year old Dell wireless keytboard...run of the mill keyboard multimedia keyboard.Its much heavier then the MK300 but has a better key feel with less mistypes.The mouse totally is rubbish, so i picked up a microsoft 4 button wireless mobile mouse 4000 Tracks great on anything thanks to its super bright blue laser or diode it will work like a flashlight its so bright:)....At the cost of battery life which is not very good at about 3 months,Even though i use it almost every day it might get 3 hrs of use a week.Heck just selecting what i am going to watch then it sits until i change movie/program.Range 6-8 feet perhaps a bit farther but luckily its close enough to me its not a factor.Just might get a second MK400 if i like the 1st one i get.

Now I love my 5pound mechanical Razer Black Widow Ultimate with its matching Imperator mouse that beautifly plugs into the right side of the keyboards USB port.So i never had to take the wire tie off the cord.So its almost like having a wireless mouse that rules the roost.I cant believe i have been building computers and gaming since the 90s and i used a junk keyboard all those years,these new mechanical boards awesome i can't say enough good things about them.Its just really nice to be able to know the key you barely touched registered since you have the tactile feedback and a nice quiet click.You can finesse type i would call it:)not having to pound the keys to be positively sure it registered.That includes all mech keyboards with MX switches,not just my 130$ razer.....i realize i am paying more for backlighting a proper cable bundle and a reputation.
I highly recommend hopping onto the mechanical keyboard train as soon as possible :lol: Anyone who has not tried the newer keyboards are missing out.But i don't rec a mech keyboard for a home theater Pc they are just too heavy and mine feels like it could stop a 9mm bullet.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:03 pm

thegleek wrote:
FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Interesting concept, this unifying receiver: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6126?pcid=6072

Well, easy. For one, 90%+ of all mice/keyboards STILL are on the USB technology. What the unifying receiver does is makes it possible to use more then ONE device with one USB port used up.

It's mind-blowingly jawesome! It makes bluetooth look like a blonde girl starting at an orange juice can for 20 minutes because it said "Concentrate" on it...

That does not address my statement, LOL. Many computers have BT built in or you can use a (single) USB adapter for many periphrials.
I prefer not being as limited in my wireless devices :)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 am

just FYI, we just purchased a K400 last week to replace our K360 & microsoft wireless mouse. And let me say it was so worth it!

I wasn't aware that "mousepads for pc's" in general can do the same gestures that the apple's have (2 finger up/down/left/right swipes). So cool!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:16 am

Yeah, this thing was my first taste of multitouch on the the PC as well.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:25 am

I'm a little late to the party, but I have this keyboard for HTPC use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823176018

Operating distance is awesome, battery life is crazy good (owned it for at least 2 years now and have only changed the batteries once), and the trackball is easy to use and very intuitive. This keyboard has been dropped, kicked, and stepped on (mostly by our cats) and it still works great. If it ever broke, I'd buy another one no question.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 am

Ryhadar wrote:
I'm a little late to the party, but I have this keyboard for HTPC use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823176018

Operating distance is awesome, battery life is crazy good (owned it for at least 2 years now and have only changed the batteries once), and the trackball is easy to use and very intuitive. This keyboard has been dropped, kicked, and stepped on (mostly by our cats) and it still works great. If it ever broke, I'd buy another one no question.

I bought that one for my sister. I liked the form factor and I love the trackball on it and ones similar. However I found the connection to be fairly unreliable but "good enough" I guess.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:53 am

Missed this thread the first time around but the "keyboard" part of my 3yo Microsoft wireless kit checked out of life a month ago, and not long after I found this little gem lurking by a friend's HTPC. Sale made within 30 seconds of use -- I and a mutual third friend each picked one up for our own HTPC projects.

This thing is exactly what you need for a mix of XBMC and light Internet browsing from the couch. Feels a little cheap and flexible, but for a reasonable $40 and given the excellent response times and wireless range, I'm not complaining. Doesn't ship with any install media, and on Windows7 it just went straight to Windows Update and pulled down the drivers it needed, no fuss at all. Verah nahce.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 am

I bought two of these for $25 each last month when Staples had them on sale......of course, Best Buy had them on sale last week for a day or two at $19.99, and I missed going there to pick up some more.

The unifying receiver alone is worth that much to me.