Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

DAC / Headphone amp

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:14 pm

I received a set of Sennheiser HD558 headphones for Christmas and had been running them off my Logitech Z-5500's headphone out, but I recently repurposed those speakers for the HTPC so I'm back to the onboard audio. It sounds so bad in comparison that I can't listen to music on my computer anymore. I want to get an external DAC/headphone amp with a volume knob and preferably a 6.3mm headphone jack. Price is a pretty big consideration but I don't mind spending around $100. I've been looking at the FiiO stuff and various other amps within and far exceeding my price range. The Creative X-Fi HD looks interesting as well. Anyone have any suggestions?
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: DAC / Headphone amp

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:36 pm

It's $150 and comes only with 3.5mm jacks, but I've been running one of these for 3 years or so and it never fails to please. It's got an onboard DAC so that conversion happens far away from the EMI/RFI zone in the case. The crossfeed circuit really helps long-term listening and does eliminate that old 'hole in the head" feeling one gets with traditional headphone rigs. Plus, you can power it from USB or from battery. Add this adapter and you're ready to rock. Yes, the inline ones are cheaper, but the extra strain on the 3.5mm jack will not be a Good Thing long-term.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:38 pm

The FiiO E17 looks quite good ... I'm considering getting one as I finding myself listening to music at work more often.

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:22 pm

Seriously considering the FiiO E10 now. It's relatively cheap and has pretty good reviews. Meanwhile the Creative X-fi HD can't do 44.1KHz without resampling :roll:.
Captain Ned wrote:
Add this adapter and you're ready to rock. Yes, the inline ones are cheaper, but the extra strain on the 3.5mm jack will not be a Good Thing long-term.
I've been meaning to pick one of those up but haven't found one locally and haven't got around to ordering one online.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW