Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: .Midi Improvments?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Dr. Coconut wrote:
I tried opening it in Anvil Studio, but when I do, it crashes.I probobly just Didn't configure the sound-font or the synthesizer correctly. If someone could give me a walk through on how to do it, that would be helpful.

Not familiar with Anvil Studio, and after reading up, I at least know what it does...but I couldn't tell you how to use it with Anvil. I'll dick around with it some when I get some free time at home (probably tomorrow night) and I'll post back what i find.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Dr. Coconut
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I've been playing around with FluidSynth a bit lately. I'm using Linux, but apparently there's a Windows port of it available? Sounds pretty good to me...

Edit: And I :lol:ed at "broken trumpet in a microwave"!

I tried getting fluid synth installed on windows, but it was so confusing, I couldn't figure it out.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:40 am

Dr. Coconut wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I've been playing around with FluidSynth a bit lately. I'm using Linux, but apparently there's a Windows port of it available? Sounds pretty good to me...

I tried getting fluid synth installed on windows, but it was so confusing, I couldn't figure it out.

Sorry to hear that. It's not exactly straightforward to use even on its native platform, so that doesn't come as a complete surprise.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dr. Coconut
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Dr. Coconut wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Sorry to hear that. It's not exactly straightforward to use even on its native platform, so that doesn't come as a complete surprise.

It looked like you had to install it using prompt commands, which I don't know how to use.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:18 pm

No time like the present to learn?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dr. Coconut
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
No time like the present to learn?

I guess you're right.

Dr. Coconut
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Unfortunately, the Bassmidi site is down, and I'm not sure where to get the download. Anybody know where I can?

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Seems to be working for me.

http://us.un4seen.com/files/bass24.zip

If your DNS is funky, that resolves to
http://204.62.14.46/files/bass24.zip

Or is this not what you're looking for?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:06 pm

All this midi talk makes me wish I had a Roland MT-32 back when I played Ultima VII and Ultima VII part 2 on my parents 386DX. We had a sound blaster, but the midi played back with very basic FM Synthesis. I played Ultima VII part 2 recently using exult with the sound pack with music recorded from a real Roland MT-32. The difference is night and day. The music just blew me away, with full orchestra, and synthesized back-up choir vocals. The MT-32 was released in 1987, and most Sierra games were able to use it back then. It didn't use samples. It synthesized everything in real-time with an Intel C8095-90 Control CPU and a Burr-Brown PCM54 DAC. Pretty impressive for it's time, and it still sounds more convincing than the SoundBlaster AWE32 which came out in 1994, which used wavetable samples loaded in on-board ram located on the soundcard. This is one of those things that makes me sad that digital audio playback came along in games, because there was more art and technical magic that went into the old games that relied on MIDI playback.
Change sucks

Dr. Coconut
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Seems to be working for me.

http://us.un4seen.com/files/bass24.zip

If your DNS is funky, that resolves to
http://204.62.14.46/files/bass24.zip

Or is this not what you're looking for?

I'm afraid it's not. I meant the Mudlord site. The link you gave me looks like it's just the source.

FakeAlGore
Gerbil

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:25 pm

He moved it and didn't provide a redirect.

http://www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/

Dr. Coconut
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:21 pm

FakeAlGore wrote:
He moved it and didn't provide a redirect.

http://www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/

Just what I was looking for! Thanks. Anyways, here's to hoping it works better on this computer then my other one.