Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

My New Dell Workstation T-7500 gives electric shock

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:34 am

Just bought Dell T-7500 Workstation.

When installation technician came to Install the workstation, he got an electric shock when he touched the Start Button.
He also got shock when he touched Front Panel.
No shock when touching rest of the Chassis.
He called Dell Support & tried to troubleshoot by taking out various wires etc but did not help.
I touched the same places & I also got shock.
We checked everything possible including connecting to various outlets but it didn't solve the problem.
Installation subcontractor said that they are not supposed to troubleshoot anything on new system, just install it & they made notes & left.

I called my sales guy & it was weekend so he said he will take care of it on Monday.

Here are my concerns :

(1) Why does that happen ? Although it is a mild shock & it won't kill you but might damage other parts of workstation ?

(2) Is this common for workstations ?

(3) What should I do ? Of course Dell will try to troubleshoot again but should I let them do that OR ask for a New System ?

(4) WHat would happen if I continue using it till the new system arrives ?

Thank You

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: My New Dell Workstation T-7500 gives electric shock

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:10 am

No shock from the rest of the chassis (especially metal bits around the back) but shock from front panel and start button means a bad system. Unplug it and wait for the RMA.

If the metal on the back was giving a shock then I'd say a house miswire with floating ground, but that's not the situation here.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:35 am

No, this is not normal. Are you absolutely certain it is not just static electricity?

I am very puzzled that you are getting a shock from the front panel but not the rest of the chassis.

There are two possibilities here, neither of which 100% fits the evidence:

1) Your electrical outlets are not properly grounded. But if this was the issue, it would tend to cause you to get a shock from touching other parts of the case, not just the front panel.

2) Defective power supply in the computer, which is causing the power supply rails to sit way above chassis ground potential. But this would've fried the system's components already, or at least prevented the system from even booting up.

Either way, it's potentially dangerous to you and your equipment, and needs to be corrected.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 am

(EDIT - Darn - JBI beat me to it.)

was it a buzz or a snap?

If it is a buzz then it was ac and likely the power supply is bad and quite dangerous, unplug it and leave it unplugged.

if it was a snap then it was more likely static buildup which would mean the case is or that part was not properly grounded to the rest of the case causing static build-up or a large difference in potential.
I have seen cases where poorly selected materials causes large difference in potential giving a the customer a nice snap every once in a while esp. in the winter time.
In some cases a snap can mean a wiring fault where the third prong in the wall socket is not properly connected. This is more common in houses built before the 80's.
Last edited by Aranarth on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 am

Stop going to work with your Furrys outfits on :P and pick up your feet.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:47 am

LOL!
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Dell called me back & gave me two choices.

They said that they will change motherboard or power supply or both to make it work.

OR

They will pick up this system first & then give me a new one which would take 4 to 6 weeks because it is manufactured in another country.

I told them that I need this system for my business & would like to keep it untill the new one arrives. I also told them that I will not hold them responsible if something goes wrong & I lose my data OR for any bodily harm.

Support guy said that he will talk to management & let me know.

After using other Dell systems for 9 years & knowing their tactics, I am pretty sure that they are going to give me the same system back after they repaire it.

(1) What should I do if they insist on returning the current system back before they give me the new one ?

(2) Also how would I know whether the new system is not a totally new but it is the same one that I have & they just repaired it & gave me back ? If that happens, what can I do ?

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Dude, do you gotta get a Dell? No other options? Wouldn't each workstation have a unique serial number to ID it so you know if you were given your old system back? Good luck...and stay grounded.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Neutronbeam wrote:
Dude, do you gotta get a Dell? No other options? Wouldn't each workstation have a unique serial number to ID it so you know if you were given your old system back? Good luck...and stay grounded.

Yes, they have a paper sticker that says " Service Tag ##### " & it can easily be removed & stick another one with a new number.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:17 am

dan99t wrote:
(1) What should I do if they insist on returning the current system back before they give me the new one ?

(2) Also how would I know whether the new system is not a totally new but it is the same one that I have & they just repaired it & gave me back ? If that happens, what can I do ?

(1) If they won't give you the satisfaction, and assuming you are in the United States, send out a hardcopy letter to Dell and CC it to the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the FCC, explaining in two paragraphs or less that you are receiving repeated electric shocks from the front panel, but not the chassis, of a system that is connected to properly grounded 120V residential outlet, and that you would like this system replaced immediately, as you believe it may be emitting harmful electric potential and EMI/RFI due to a faulty or unapproved design. No threats, no ego, and no fifteen paragraphs of angst and frustration -- just a few brief, plain statements describing the problem and the desired resolution. Send all three copies to the appropriate complaint addresses using certified mail with a signature-required option.

This bit of performance art will cost you about ten bucks, but it sounds like you have a legitimate cause of action -- and if you don't have a replacement system on your doorstep in four days, there isn't much else that will do the trick.

(2) If it comes to that, why would you care, so long as it works correctly?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration