cool 'n' quiet is asynchronous after overclocking

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

cool 'n' quiet is asynchronous after overclocking

Postposted on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:47 am

Hello,

after overclocking my AMD Phenom 940 from 3.00 ghz to 3.30 ghz via bios, the cool 'n' quiet function doesn't seem to apply for all cores. CPU-Z just displays core #0 and yes, it goes down to 800 mhz on idle. But to verify I checked all core speeds with AMD Overdrive, there I can see that only core CPU0 and CPU1 are clocking down but CPU2 and CPU3 stay all the same. CPU0 and CPU1 are underclocking asynchronous, so core #0 is underclocking lower and more frquently than coer #1. I made something wrong I guess. :-?

thank you
SRM
Gerbil In Training

Re: cool 'n' quiet is asynchronous after overclocking

Postposted on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 am

SRM wrote:Hello,

after overclocking my AMD Phenom 940 from 3.00 ghz to 3.30 ghz via bios, the cool 'n' quiet function doesn't seem to apply for all cores. CPU-Z just displays core #0 and yes, it goes down to 800 mhz on idle. But to verify I checked all core speeds with AMD Overdrive, there I can see that only core CPU0 and CPU1 are clocking down but CPU2 and CPU3 stay all the same. CPU0 and CPU1 are underclocking asynchronous, so core #0 is underclocking lower and more frquently than coer #1. I made something wrong I guess. :-?

thank you

Have you spotted the issue yet? If you did i'd like to know how you did that :)

If you haven't fixed it, just go into the BIOS and load the default settings.....after that go on youtube and watch a tutorial on how to do it correctly.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:13 am

Arclight wrote:
Have you spotted the issue yet? If you did i'd like to know how you did that :)

If you haven't fixed it, just go into the BIOS and load the default settings.....after that go on youtube and watch a tutorial on how to do it correctly.

Unfortunately not. I overclocked it just by increasing the multiplier (it works for AMD Black Edition CPUs). I already put it back to AUTO, so I would get the default clock. I dis- and enabled the the C'N'Q for both multiplier settings to make sure it would change something. But due to AMD Overdrive CPU Status, the cool 'n' quit issue is still emerging. I can't remember that the C'N'Q underclocked all cores asynchronous before overclocking, but maybe I didn't see it closely enough. I don't really know if it's normal, but I think it was different before overclocking by BIOS.

to summarize:
core0 seems to be underclocking the clock normally
core1 is underclocking, but not as frequent as core0 & not in accord with core0
core2 & core3 are always at full clock, no matter if there is load or not.
SRM
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:36 am

SRM wrote:Unfortunately not. I overclocked it just by increasing the multiplier (it works for AMD Black Edition CPUs). I already put it back to AUTO, so I would get the default clock. I dis- and enabled the the C'N'Q for both multiplier settings to make sure it would change something. But due to AMD Overdrive CPU Status, the cool 'n' quit issue is still emerging. I can't remember that the C'N'Q underclocked all cores asynchronous before overclocking, but maybe I didn't see it closely enough. I don't really know if it's normal, but I think it was different before overclocking by BIOS.

I don't mean to come off as a pr*ck but putting a setting back on AUTO doesn't mean "Load setup defaults". If you haven't done this yet, please try to do it (It's usually found in the"Exit" tab of the bios) and report back if it changes anything @ your issue.
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:41 am

Is it possible there is some kind of load that's making some cores go idle and some remain at full speed or overclocked? I'm not familiar with how AMD's version of Turbo works, but maybe that has something to do with it.
i7-3770K | Asus P8Z77-V LK | 8GB DDR3-1600 | HD5850 | 128GB 840 Pro | Samsung F3 1TB | U2412M | Define R4 | Seasonic 520W M12II | Win7 Pro x64.
frumper15
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 am

frumper15 wrote:Is it possible there is some kind of load that's making some cores go idle and some remain at full speed or overclocked? I'm not familiar with how AMD's version of Turbo works, but maybe that has something to do with it.

Turbo is when the clock speed of a core goes above the stock speed, by using the headroom given by disabling (or rahter underclocking) the other cores. Cool&Quiet underclocks iirc all the cores and brings them back to stock clock if the load requires it, but not above like the Turbo.

Edit:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... quiet.aspx
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 am

Arclight wrote:I don't mean to come off as a pr*ck but putting a setting back on AUTO doesn't mean "Load setup defaults". If you haven't done this yet, please try to do it (It's usually found in the"Exit" tab of the bios) and report back if it changes anything @ your issue.

Ok. I had to press F5 to "load setup defaults" and I safed. No change.mhmm.. Sorry for being a prick last time :(
SRM
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:25 am

SRM wrote:Ok. I had to press F5 to "load setup defaults" and I safed. No change.mhmm.. Sorry for being a prick last time :(

If you click the link, it says:
Cool 'N' Quiet™ 2.0 Technology
[...]
Independent Dynamic Core Technology- Helps users get more efficient performance by dynamically adjusting individual core frequencies as required by utilization needs

I have a Ph II x4 955 and i also have C&Q enabled both in the BIOS plus i have installed the C&Q software version 2.18.03, provided by my mobo's manufacturer....but i never checked the speed of the individual cores with Overdrive. But from what i read above Cool&Quiet does indeed ajust core frequencies individually. My opinion is that your CPU works fine.

For my CPU i get the following voltages:
800 Mhz between 1.0080 and 1.0200V
2100 Mhz between 1.1760 and 1.1880V
3200 Mhz between 13680 and 1.3800V

More than that i can't read from the Cool&Quiet UI....

Edit:
I installed AMD Overdrive version 4.10 and in the CPU status section i noticed that generally the clocks are the same but not always, they differ a bit when they go up or down. But generally when the CPU is under light load they are all at 804Mhz....
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 am

Ok. I just discovered today that I can observe all cores via cpu-z too, by clicking right mouse key. And it shows that actually all cores are underclocking the way you described. :) All clocks are going down to 800 mhz under light load. It's likely that overdrive had a malfunction.
SRM
Gerbil In Training

Return to Processors