Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

stevenmitt604
Gerbil In Training

Re: Which SSD to get?

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:08 am

I've recently bought the OCZ vertex 3 drive and it has been great. But have heard that they have problems if you don't keep up with the latest firmware.

Have an older intel one that's been going strong. I think if price wasn't a factor, I'd go with the intel again just for the sheer ease of mind.

beck2448
Gerbil In Training

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Intel 520 is excellent. 240 gb perform better than 120 gb if you can afford it.
I have an OWC Mercury Extreme pro 6g 240 gb. Its the only maker i know that uses the Sandforce 2282 controller instead of 2281. After 4 months no problems and man is it fast. i run Pro Tools and the difference is massive. If you're not a power user any SSD will be fast enough.

DigitalN00b
Gerbil

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Any suggestions for AMD platforms? I have recently tried Patriot's Pyro 120GB Sata III SSD, but have had problems with both sets of drives sent to me as the drive is recognized as 'Drive 0' in BIOS, but windows does not recognize it nor does it appear under My Computer, and keep getting an error that prevents the SSD from updating any firmware. I run my MoBo with AHCI. I have researched the code error and followed the suggestions provided by Patriot, yet nada. I still get the same errors with both drives sent to me.

I am starting to suspect they are just not compatible with AMD rigs.

Any ideas on the gurus end here, or recommend a better Sata III SSD around 120-128 GB for AMD platforms?

Much obliged with your responses,
Best Wishes,

DigitalN00b

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:37 pm

stevenmitt604 wrote:
Have an older intel one that's been going strong. I think if price wasn't a factor, I'd go with the intel again just for the sheer ease of mind.

After experiencing a Vertex 2 failure, this is what I did; Intel 320's in my desktop and laptop, no problems. I'm still hesitant to recommend their 520 series due to the Sandforce controller, but I'd recommend them before any other Sandforce drive- Crucial's M4 and Samsung's 830 are also highly recommended.

DigitalN00b wrote:
Any ideas on the gurus end here, or recommend a better Sata III SSD around 120-128 GB for AMD platforms?

Not sure why you would have problems on an AMD system (different drivers, controller, BIOS, etc.), but given that the Patriot Pyro is a Sandforce 2 drive, I'd recommend checking out the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 I mentioned above, which use different controllers.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:18 am

DigitalN00b wrote:
Any ideas on the gurus end here, or recommend a better Sata III SSD around 120-128 GB for AMD platforms.

Silly question, but did you partition (and format) the drive in disk management (under computer management, type 'compmgmt.msc' into start menu)? It won't show up in My Computer until it's been partitioned.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

beck2448
Gerbil In Training

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 am

Intel 520

Hallucin8
Gerbil

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 am

beck2448 wrote:
Intel 520

I second that thought. Cherryville all the way!

DigitalN00b
Gerbil

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 pm

I've read the reviews on the Intel 520. So far there are very impressive reviews on this SSD, with very little to no technical complaints what-so-ever, however, all the reviews have been based on Intel platforms. I really don't want to repeat the same issues I am facing with the Patriot Pyro which I am getting more and more convinced that Patriot & AMD platforms are like oil & water. Anyone out there have had personal exeperience with this Intel 520 + AMD platforms?
Best Wishes,

DigitalN00b

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 pm

DigitalN00b wrote:
Anyone out there have had personal experience with this Intel 520 + AMD platforms?

Not 520 or Sandforce, but I am running a Plextor M3 128 GB (Marvell 88SS9174 controller) on my 630 X4 + SB830 system and it's doing fine. Both the Plextor M3 and the Corsair Performance Pro outperform the related Crucial M4, and they also outperform the sandforce drives when reading/writing incompressible data (I use my SSD for RAW file processing). I simply don't trust the generic sandforce firmware with my data, and intel's sandforce implementation, while hopefully more reliable, also comes with a substantial price premium.

My picks for fast, reliable and affordable SSDs today would be the Samsung 830, Plextor M3 and Corsair Performance Pro.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

DigitalN00b
Gerbil

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
DigitalN00b wrote:
Any ideas on the gurus end here, or recommend a better Sata III SSD around 120-128 GB for AMD platforms.

Silly question, but did you partition (and format) the drive in disk management (under computer management, type 'compmgmt.msc' into start menu)? It won't show up in My Computer until it's been partitioned.

Yes. I did this from the get go. Finally the SSD appeared after several restarts. I am still facing issues getting its firmware updated and getting an OS to load in it as well. Getting a little tired of trying to get this Patriot SSD to work. If Patriot's assistance becomes fruitless, I am just going to have this drive replaced with something more AMD compatible and friendly. Thanks for your suggestions of the M3, Corsair Performance Pro, the Samsung 830. I still need heavy research regarding those drives working with AMD platforms. This whole incident is cause a clot to form in my grey-mattah :lol:
Best Wishes,

DigitalN00b