Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

JustBrewIt!!!!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Holy crapin crap. is justbrewit.net your website, JBI? If so, i just dled your beer worksheet. I have some questions about it, so hit me up if this really is your website.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: JustBrewIt!!!!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:51 pm

It appears to be him. At least his name is Mike and he likes folding and open source software.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 pm

That's his site.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Yup, that's me. Whatcha need to know?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:10 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
Holy crapin crap. is justbrewit.net your website, JBI? If so, i just dled your beer worksheet. I have some questions about it, so hit me up if this really is your website.

Are you President of his fan club now?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:57 pm

first off i want to know if you know how cool this spreadsheet is...

second: PPG = gravity units(right?)
third: boil points?
fourth: af/bf?

fifth: arclight, yeah i am. ;)

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:58 pm

thegleek wrote:

yessir, baller spreadsheet :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:09 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
first off i want to know if you know how cool this spreadsheet is...

Thanks! It was originally developed for my own use, but after a few people asked for it I just posted it on the web site.

second: PPG = gravity units(right?)

Yeah. For each source of fermentable sugar, enter the points per pound per gallon of wort. (For mashed grains enter the theoretical max; this automatically gets scaled back by your mash efficiency, which you must also enter up above.)

third: boil points?

That's part of an internal intermediate calculation; don't enter anything here, let the spreadsheet calculate it. Wort gravity affects hop extraction, so the spreadsheet needs to track which sources of sugar are boiled with the hops and which are not. Sugar from all your mashed/steeped grains is assumed to be boiled, plus any malt extract and other sugars where you've entered a "Y" in the "Boiled?" column.

fourth: af/bf?

AF stands for "age factor"; it is a rough approximation of how much bitterness hops lose per year (assuming they're stored frozen). You can adjust this if you like; the value that's in there ( 0.8 ) is a compromise value which (IIRC) was derived from data in Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beers" book. This is used to automatically adjust your estimated IBUs based on the numbers you enter in the "Age" column of the Hops section.

BF is calculated from the Boil Points. Let the spreadsheet fill this in. (It is another input to the IBU estimation calculation.)

You may have run across references to various methods of hop IBU calculation (Tinseth, Rager, etc.); the calculation used in this spreadsheet is essentially Tinseth's formula, modified to take age of the hops into account.

Given the proliferation of online brewing calculators and smartphone brewing apps, this spreadsheet is becoming a bit of an anachronism in that it doesn't automatically fill in the gravity points or color of the various malts for you; you must look those numbers up and enter them manually. I (and a few other people I know) still use it because it's simple to use and works quite well once you understand it.

Caveat: The color calculation tends to be a bit off (it tells you the beer will be darker than it really will be) for darker beers; I'd take the color numbers it spits out with a grain of salt for anything higher than around 20 SRM. Fixing this has been on my "to do" list for years... :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Seems cool if you don't want to drop $27.95 for software that pretty much does all that (and more).

I use BeerSmith2 for most/all those calculations on JBI's spreadsheet.. I just want to know the advantages/disadvantages of each. Thanks!

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:19 am

I just like how its all in the spreadsheet but enough of its manual that you still need to use your noggin. Seems like when things are too automated, you lose touch with what you're doing. I have a BCS 460 for controlling fermentation, but that's all I use it for, temperature control. Some people use it for a complete brewing setup, which I think takes a lot of the love out of it. Besides, people overlook how important the fermentation process is. I've had enough bad fermentations to drive home the importance of knowing your yeast and giving it what it wants.