Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Very Slow Upload Speeds

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm

For the past couple of days I've been having problems uploading things. I went to speedtest.com yesterday and download speed was normal but when it tried to do the upload speed test it just sat on "connecting" and didn't even complete it. I can sometimes upload things, sometimes not, and it's very slow. For instance, when I try to upload a photo on my phone to Instagram, on out wireless network it sits there forever then fails. But on 3G it uploads very quickly. Does this sound like a problem with my networking equipment, or something on Comcast's end? Any input would be appreciated.

FYI this has been going on for 7+ days.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Very Slow Upload Speeds

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Comcast probably. I would connect your computer strait to the modem, pwr cycle your modem, make sure all the cables are tight, and if it still does it call comcast (because they are going to tell you to do the same thing likely, lol). Sounds like an snr issue.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

churin
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 pm

I had the same issue. The problem symptom disappeared if the router was bypassed. But that does not necessarily mean that the culprit is the router. My experiments for troubleshooting indicated that the facility at Comcast's side BECAME incompatible with my router. Comcast did not admit this so I temporarily switched the router with a backup router of a different brand. Then periodically I tried back the original router to see when Comcast would restore the original state. I had to wait a couple of months before I restored the original router.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 pm

A: What router are you using?

B: Is BitTorrent in play here?

C: Go to your modem's management page (mine's 192.168.100.1 but that's by no means universal) and click on whatever you need to find the various signal levels. The upstream power level should be below 50 dBmV. If it's close to 60, either your modem is shot or you've got a bad connection to the head-end (usually too many splitters in the way).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

churin
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Please note that I presently do not have any upload speed problem. I merely stated my experience with Comcat ISP service because the OP appears to be having the same problem.
BTW: Checking the upstream power level was one of the trouble shooting steps and was found unchanged since I started using the modem, and that was 39.75dBmV. As the OP stated, to measure the upload(& download) speed, I use speedtest.net while any other traffic to and from the Internet stopped.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
C: Go to your modem's management page (mine's 192.168.100.1 but that's by no means universal) and click on whatever you need to find the various signal levels. The upstream power level should be below 50 dBmV. If it's close to 60, either your modem is shot or you've got a bad connection to the head-end (usually too many splitters in the way).

Actually http://192.168.100.1/ -is- universal. it works literally with every known cable modem in existence.

Sources:

1. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h. ... .html#cmip

2. http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wire ... -1-def.htm

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:37 am

Have you tweaked anything on the network stack? If you change the wrong thing then it can break uploads.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Sorry for not responding, didn't set e-mail notice for replies. Working on trying what you guys recommend. Will report back with results.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:35 pm

I just found a very cool networking tester, try this http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ it needs Java and it takes a while to run but it seems to dig in to detail on the connection.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Solution: I got a replacement for my old router (Belkin N750DB wireless dual band N+), and now everything works. Still puzzled why that works, but thanks everybody for voicing in. It gave me some good data when working with Comcast.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:37 am

notfred wrote:
I just found a very cool networking tester, try this http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ it needs Java and it takes a while to run but it seems to dig in to detail on the connection.

I gotta burn that into my memory forever. Great tool!

Thought this part was interesting...:
You are not a Tor exit node for HTTP traffic.

We received UPnP responses from one device:
192.168.0.1: this device provided a valid device description via its UPnP URL. This description, viewable here, contains the following information about this gateway:
Manufacturer: D-Link
Model name: D-Link Router
Model number: DIR-655

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:44 am

Why? The two are not related.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:50 am

Contingency wrote:
Why? The two are not related.

What's not related?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Tor exit node and UPnP are not related.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:39 pm

notfred wrote:
Tor exit node and UPnP are not related.

Yes, I snipped the irrelevant stuff out from the copy/paste. why it was interesting is because that scanner checked if you are a Tor exit node! lol thought it was funny.

And the other thing is how it acquired the make/model/etc from the router you use. Must be broadcasted publicly or via SNMP.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:55 pm

thegleek wrote:
And the other thing is how it acquired the make/model/etc from the router you use. Must be broadcasted publicly or via SNMP.
Just read what it says. The router has UPNP enabled. As the dump text itself notes, the device information is provided (along with services supported, etc) as part of the UPNP discovery process.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:13 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
thegleek wrote:
Just read what it says. The router has UPNP enabled. As the dump text itself notes, the device information is provided (along with services supported, etc) as part of the UPNP discovery process.

Groovy. Networking 101 revisited.