Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
PBR??

So you do have some hipster in you. :wink:

It's what I drank in college 3 decades ago. So it's not a hipster thing... it's nostalgia! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It's what I drank in college 3 decades ago. So it's not a hipster thing... it's nostalgia! :lol:

Ah. For me that would be Old Milwaukee, Schlitz, or Strohs. It all depended on whatever was cheapest at the distributor that week. Way back when such things mattered I was the House Kegmaster for the three years I lived in the house. My sole duty was to keep us on tap at all times and to keep the lines clean. Non-party weeks meant 1-2 kegs/week. Party weeks meant 30-50 kegs/week. The non-party load was easy, as I just drove down to the distributor and put the new keg in the passenger seat. Party times were a PITA as our tap room was below grade and moving that many kegs downstairs was an "all hands on deck" project.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Ah. For me that would be Old Milwaukee, Schlitz, or Strohs. It all depended on whatever was cheapest at the distributor that week.

To me it was IceHouse or Busch Ice..

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Busch, because it was $8/case and college students are poor.

todd
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
PBR??

So you do have some hipster in you. :wink:

My dad drank pbr.
Kept 4 coolers in the back of his truck, and kept a case and ice in each one, 24/7. He had 4 sons, maybe there is a correlation.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:10 am

Couldn't tell much difference in flavor between out of the fridge, ootf over ice, and room temperature over ice. ooc I diluted some 3:1, 2:1 and 1:1 whiskey to cold filtered water. The flavor didn't change much; maybe the smokiness from the JD came out but it really just became less curiously viscous which was off-putting because the mouthfeel is a big appeal of this. Even neat it has very little overt alcohol and it's just plain tasty. Smooth in the mouth, easily sippable, not sickeningly sweet (could be a TOUCH more oaky whiskey though, iyam), not burny, delicious... a delectably dangerous distillation.

In my near future (aka when I get a good rum): Dark n Stormies.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 pm

Tonight was Affligem tripel, fresh cask dry hopped copper cone, and Smoke Jumper. I've also had Hoptimum and Deviant Dale's that I've been totally unhappy with over the last couple days. And at home I've been on a sixer of Ruthless Rye that I'm really loving that kind of aged woody (aged wood, not aged in wood) character of, and an Ommegang Dubbel that's always an excellent value.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:50 am

Ethyriel wrote:
And at home I've been on a sixer of Ruthless Rye that I'm really loving that kind of aged woody (aged wood, not aged in wood) character of

I've been enjoying this one as well; it seems to be one of those beers that you either love or hate. I'm pretty sure that "woody" character (I would describe it as "resiny") comes from the hops they use in it, probably the Chinook. It's amazing how much of a flavor and aroma difference there is between different hop strains!

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Yeah, I was having trouble figuring out if it was the hops or rye, it's a really distinct taste that I haven't gotten anywhere else. Do you know anything that puts chinook on display?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Ethyriel wrote:
Yeah, I was having trouble figuring out if it was the hops or rye, it's a really distinct taste that I haven't gotten anywhere else. Do you know anything that puts chinook on display?

Not off the top of my head. I'd describe them as grapefruity like Cascades, but also with a resiny/piney character. Conventional wisdom used to be that they were a bit too in-your-face to use as a flavor or aroma hop (so they were used primarily as a bittering hop), but that seems to have gone out the window with the rise in popularity of in-your-face IPAs, Double IPAs, etc.!

Could also be those "experimental" hops they claim to be using, and the rye may be a contributing factor as well.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 pm

I've donwed half a bottle of tennessee honey in the last 2 hours. It's not ery strong stuff-35% ABV i think?? but for worknight, that'senough. Also drinking sprite. Have a 3 hour training and I have do people's weekly reviews tomorrow. Gotta drink a lot of water.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 am

Cheap Scotch and cheap beer.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:35 am

just brew it! wrote:
Could also be those "experimental" hops they claim to be using, and the rye may be a contributing factor as well.

It could be the experimental hops, I suppose, but I paid a lot more attention last night, and I'm pretty sure it's the rye. But the hops match up to that rye flavor really well. They sit right next to each other all along their flavor profiles, not really blending together, but playing off each other in a very interesting way. I'm loving this growing rye trend.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:30 am

I started with St Feullien Blonde, and finished with 5oz of Jewbelation 15. Both were awesome, but the Odell's Shenanigans was really something special. It had the butterscotch malts of a barley wine, and the brettanomyces of a good sour on top. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. I sampled it before I had anything else, but drank it after the St Feullien, and somehow I think even a pale Belgian strong ruined it to some degree. The sample was up there with Saboteur as far as unique, yeasty bears go, but it didn't do much for me once I got the full tulip. I'll definitely be leading with it next time.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Killian's Irish Red

mnecaise
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:07 pm

Maui dark rum. The EDA software made me do it.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:40 am

I'm out of IPA *sad*

Having some red wine, though... it's ok

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:35 pm

mnecaise wrote:

And can you define what EDA is? Electronic Design Automation?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:41 pm

thegleek wrote:
mnecaise wrote:

That's what I would assume.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute here. Heading off in about a half hour to a 50th B-Day party for one of the other local beer geeks... seeya on the other side! :D

mnecaise
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:21 pm

thegleek wrote:
mnecaise wrote:

Sorry, Yes that's it. OrCAD Schematic Capture, P-Spice and PCB layout, specifically. New job, have to hit the books, relearn all my forgotten electrical engineering skills and learn to use the tools. Long nights. Feel like I'm back at university except the stakes are a bit higher.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:37 pm

hmm. between lunch and now I'm at 1/2 a bottle of whiskey. Not too much at any one time but a nice mild buzz. Ate a huge lunch, then came home and started sipping.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:39 pm

mnecaise wrote:
Sorry, Yes that's it. OrCAD Schematic Capture, P-Spice and PCB layout, specifically. New job, have to hit the books, relearn all my forgotten electrical engineering skills and learn to use the tools. Long nights. Feel like I'm back at university except the stakes are a bit higher.

Congratz on the new job, and welcome back to the hell that is hardware engineering.

I remember using those... except it wasn't OrCAD back then. Mine made me drink vodka.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Dogfish Head 60 Minute here.

Just picked up a bottle of their 75 Minute (some kinda aged with maple syrup limited edition). it's in the fridge now, will drink it within a week.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:28 am

thegleek wrote:
Just picked up a bottle of their 75 Minute (some kinda aged with maple syrup limited edition). it's in the fridge now, will drink it within a week.

I just saw that at my beer joint, along with a few other interesting things like a Big Sky Olde Bluehair barleywine and Mogollon Skunk Ape double black IPA. Let us know how it is, it's probably going to go fast out here.

I just picked up a bottle of Stillwater Of Love and Regret that I'm looking forward to. It was probably a horrible buy at $5.49 for an 11.2 oz of a 2 year old saison, but it's the first time I've seen it, and probably the last considering it was a one off.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:46 am

Ethyriel wrote:
thegleek wrote:

I just saw that at my beer joint, along with a few other interesting things like a Big Sky Olde Bluehair barleywine and Mogollon Skunk Ape double black IPA. Let us know how it is, it's probably going to go fast out here.

Shoulda picked up a bottle of that DFH! But yeah, once I drink it - I'll be sure to post it here.

Ethyriel wrote:
I just picked up a bottle of Stillwater Of Love and Regret that I'm looking forward to. It was probably a horrible buy at $5.49 for an 11.2 oz of a 2 year old saison, but it's the first time I've seen it, and probably the last considering it was a one off.

Oh man. Too bad beer can't be easily traded. I would -die- for so many beers that can't be distributed in Michigan.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:00 am

mnecaise wrote:

I'm in a similar situation -- been spending the past few weeks learning how to use Quartus II to do some FPGA work.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

thegleek wrote:
Ethyriel wrote:

Oh man. Too bad beer can't be easily traded. I would -die- for so many beers that can't be distributed in Michigan.

Do I sense a beer swap coming on?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Ethyriel wrote:
thegleek wrote:
Ethyriel wrote:

I'm sure I can find an old black 1977 Pontiac Firebird TransAm with the Screaming Chicken on the hood.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Ethyriel wrote:
thegleek wrote:

I'm sure I can find an old black 1977 Pontiac Firebird TransAm with the Screaming Chicken on the hood.

Excellent, I'll call in a few meth labs to throw the 5-0 off our scent.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Ethyriel wrote:
Excellent, I'll call in a few meth labs to throw the 5-0 off our scent.

Wrong reference. In mine, the Frog was quite cute at the time.