Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Random Horizontal Lines

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:36 am

I built some new systems for a client, below are the specs and I'm having some odd issues with 2 of them... Due to the nature of "Everything is itegrated" it really could be ANYTHING :| Was hoping something in the specs would raise a red flag to someone.

AMD A8-3850
8GB of Corsair XMS3 - 1600 @ 1333 (2 x 4GB)
Corsair CX600 V2 Builder Series (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139028)
Asus F1A75-M (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131768)

The hard drives are two totally different sizes/brands and this issue isn't related to them at all, i'm sure about that. The odd thing is that if I have the windows minimized I don't see it at all... its only when I have windows that occupy the majority of the screen. This issue also is intermitent, but seems to get worse with time the longer the system is on. If the system is shut down and then restarted, things seem to work great for quite some time. It can be a few hours or a few days or maybe even week before the issue slowly starts to creep back up.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that I doubt that its the APU, just very rare to see something like that go out. I'm leaning towards the PSU as it could be dishing out dirty power. Or the ram, which is being used for the video as its intergrated and shared. Or last but not least, the motherboard. After all everything goes through it, whats not to say that it is failing somewhere and making these other parts look bad :P.

I have updated the drivers for all 4 of these systems (only 2 seem to show these signs). The machines are identical with the exception of the hard drives. I also flashed the BIOS on 2 of these machines, 1 thats having the issue and 1 thats not. Otherwise the other 2 have also been flashed, just not to the VERY latest BIOS revision.

I'm considering testing the PSU, but the system seems VERY stable with the exception of the lines, and testing a PSU isn't the easiest, especially if I wont have any load on it out of the box. Any suggestions or red flags raised from the info I've posted?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Random Horizontal Lines

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:13 am

Do the lines move around, or are they fixed in specific locations? If you take a screenshot and view the file on another system, are the lines still there? Have you checked the CPU temperatures?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:05 am

They move around, but they are almost always in the same general areas and some appear to be the same lines that almost flickering at times.

The first thing I thought to check was the temps, these APU's actually run VERY cool, all 4 of them started out within the first few minutes after putting them together at 105*F or so. After about the first hour of being used the thermal paste settled in and they hit down in the low 90's. The ones effected down are VERY VERY cool, mostly because one entire wall of this room in the office is pretty much a big window. It is currently -45*F outside right now and as you can imagine that puts off some pretty chilling drafts, the entire room was probably 66. So heat isn't an issue.

I'll have to get back to you on taking a screenshot... but its not a specific file. The behavior today was much more obvious when I maximized an IE or Firefox screen while browsing. While typing this original post I did it from the machine that had the issues, so the website that I'm on doesn't even matter that much. I can also not have anything open on the screen and it will show sometimes.

On the other machine that has similar issues, it felt to me like the more I moved the mouse the more sporadic the lines got. This re-enforces me feeling that it may be a PSU... electrical noise/interference.

BTW, I tried both DVI and VGA port on the machines (one uses just VGA, the other uses VGA and DVI for a dual screen setup). All 3 monitors are different brands (Acer's and Dell's) and different sizes and even Aspect Ratio. So I've got a wide variety of test setups lol. I'm wondering if it is the PSU, I did see some bad reviews for these CX600's, but I decided to put my faith in Corsair anyhow as I've yet to be burned by them. Anyway I can test this PSU... perhaps test one of the molex connectors with that multimeter I got for Christmas 8) ? ***Is that even possible to test it in system, safely?***

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 am

Welch wrote:
I'll have to get back to you on taking a screenshot... but its not a specific file.

That's not why I suggested checking a screenshot. If the screenshot looks OK on another system, that narrows it down to the output side of the GPU, or something even further downstream (cables/monitors), and indicates that it is *not* the RAM or anything involved in actually rendering the image. If the screenshot has the same artifacts, then this indicates that the data in the framebuffer is getting corrupted.

I'm still curious as to whether the lines "dance" around on the screen once they appear, or are stationary?

Welch wrote:
On the other machine that has similar issues, it felt to me like the more I moved the mouse the more sporadic the lines got. This re-enforces me feeling that it may be a PSU... electrical noise/interference.

I don't think I would jump to that conclusion just yet. It is highly doubtful that just moving the mouse would affect the load being placed on the PSU enough to cause an issue unless the PSU is already so far gone that the system would be horribly unstable.

Welch wrote:
BTW, I tried both DVI and VGA port on the machines (one uses just VGA, the other uses VGA and DVI for a dual screen setup). All 3 monitors are different brands (Acer's and Dell's) and different sizes and even Aspect Ratio. So I've got a wide variety of test setups lol. I'm wondering if it is the PSU, I did see some bad reviews for these CX600's, but I decided to put my faith in Corsair anyhow as I've yet to be burned by them. Anyway I can test this PSU... perhaps test one of the molex connectors with that multimeter I got for Christmas 8) ? ***Is that even possible to test it in system, safely?***

Checking the voltage at a Molex connector should be fine, as long as you are careful not to short the rail you're testing to ground or to the other rail. Note that a multimeter can only tell you whether the voltage is within spec on average, it doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the power (noise on the rails).

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 am

As strange as it may be, may I suggest checking the power/surge protector strip. I ran into a similar problem once and had a heck of a time ID'ing the problem by swapping things out till I figured out that I was plugging everything into the same power strip. I replaced the strip and no more video problems.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:52 am

P5-133XL wrote:
As strange as it may be, may I suggest checking the power/surge protector strip. I ran into a similar problem once and had a heck of a time ID'ing the problem by swapping things out till I figured out that I was plugging everything into the same power strip. I replaced the strip and no more video problems.

I could maybe see a grounding issue (or ground loop) causing a problem for analog VGA, but DVI should be relatively immune.

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:31 am

Is the monitor running at 60hz? Is the room your in lit using florescent? Just a shot in the dark..
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 pm

I came across this with an IGP recently. It looked like a memory fault (reminded me of what pushing memory clocks on a GPU look like) so I just turned it off, reseated the RAM, then reseated the PSU cables for good measure and rebooted.

The problem hasn't come back yet, but graphical glitches for an IGP would point to RAM in the first instance.
Also, check that the BIOS is running the RAM at the correct SPD values. "Auto" can sometimes run RAM modules above spec.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
P5-133XL wrote:

I could maybe see a grounding issue (or ground loop) causing a problem for analog VGA, but DVI should be relatively immune.
The problem doesn't have to be on the computer side being transferred via cable to the monitor. Are you are plugging your all the monitors into the same strip? A bad strip can cause power issues directly in the monitor's electronics. Swapping out the monitor may or may not help for some may handle power problems better than others. So you end up with a very frustrating diagnostic problem.

I'm not saying that that is the problem or even likely. Rather that after enough diagnostic frustration it is worth checking even unlikely potential causes. Besides it is typically easy to check for most people have a spare strip. Even if they don't, they are inexpensive, and a spare will eventually find a use so it won't go to waste.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:47 am

Oh no Brew, I got what you meant by taking a picture to test it out. I will have to wait until the issue presents itself again to try that out.

I'm going to check out the power strips because that office is a NIGHTMARE when it comes to cabling from the guy who was there before me. The office lady who buys stuff for them has often purchased cheap items instead of running those tech purchases past me. About 6 months ago she purchased a bunch of cheapo Belkin (IIRC) power strips. I believe every last plug on the strips are filled too. These ones are also not on UPS' like the majority of the office. This will be my first check since they need to have them on UPS anyhow.

And as someone stated, with it being IGP, memory is another likely setting that could be a problem. When I had manually set them to 1600 (from auto) the machine didn't like it after awhile. I set it back to auto and it read as though it were 1333. The A8-3850 supports DDR3 1866 MHz, so im not quite sure why 1600 wouldn't work... or perhaps it being set to auto now is causing the issue as it should be ran at 1600. If set to auto it should have ran 1600 because of what its reading from SPD, unless Corsair simply "overclocked" a previous DRAM stick that was clocked lowered but the SPD still reads 1333. Hmmm, lots of possibilities I'll try out the UPS first to rule out dirty electricity at the wall.

Thanks for all of the help guys :)

optex
Gerbil

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Windows 7 x86 and x64-based PC
AMD A8-3850 APU
Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H
Mushkin 1600 Memory 8GB

Hi.
I seem to be having the same problem with a horizontal flashing line at very top of screen.
Never noticed it in XP. When I started to use Win7, it showed up.
First i thought it was from overclocking, so I put everything back to standard.
It would show up again hours or days in later.
Tried different video outputs, no change. Updated bios, a number of times.
Then updated amd video driver.
I thought it went away.
Now after weeks of nothing, it's back.
Rebooted. It's gone , but for how long?
Got ticked off, did a search, alas, other people have similar problems.
After reading comments about memory, I do remember the memory would default back to 1333 instead of 1600.
I manually changed speed to correct 1600 from Muskin specs. I hope Muskin does not play the fake specs game.
I will have to try at 1333 next time, just in case.
The way i'm thinking is, there is some program, that I'm using, that when it starts, it screws up something from there after.
I just don't know if it is a windows process or an app. The next time I notice it, I'm going to check the application event viewer,
in computer. Maybe a missbehaving game or video app screws up the video memory.
Will keep my eyes peeled for any news and get back. :evil:

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Welcome to the forums Optex. Glad (and scared) to hear that someone else has the save issue I'm having with the same/similar system setup. Almost no doubt in my mind that its memory related now as well, something to do with timings/refresh. It also will go away for days or weeks at times. I'm glad to know your using a Gigabyte variant of the A75 chipset, at least partially rules out the possibility of it all being Asus' fault. You are also using Mushkin, and I'm using Corsair, so that is another difference, so its not specifically a Corsair XMS3 issue either... hmmm.

I did finally get the user to take a screenshot of the issue as it was happening and NOTHING showed up on the images that were taken as you suggested trying Brew. I also have installed a 1250 APC UPS for the monitors AND the tower to make sure that covered those basis, still occurred.

I suppose one way to check for other issues like PSU power problems would be to install a dedicated graphics card... My other thought was maybe the PSU is putting out not so stable electricity to the IGP causing the image problem. And the last explanation I can think of is that there are tons of cables underneath that desk and they all (for 2 computers) run through a single small drilled hole in the desk, and then are all over beneath the desk. I'm curious if poor shielding on these video cables is a possibility and something is causing interference, something similar to what you'd have if you ran phone/internet lines close to conduit in a false ceiling.

Optex, please keep me updated on your situation :), thanks for posting.

optex
Gerbil

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:08 am

Hi Welch.
The next day, I right clicked on desktop, and clicked on AMD VISION Engine Control Center.
It said there was a software update available.
Installed AMD Catalyst 12.1. Rebooted and so far, so good.
Tried to trigger fault, by playing video games, video players, screen savers, picture and video editing programs.
Still ok.
Hoping it all comes down to minor bugs in driver software, being fixed. :lol:

bryanl
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:24 am

a horizontal flashing line at the top of the screen is usually an overscan issue

I've got a Samsung 24" monitor as a second on a laptop via HDMI->DVI that gets weird artifacts occasionally. Horizontal lines and sometimes, depending upon background, strings of yellow dots. I've found if I hit the button to switch to analog (i.e. VGA) which then switches back as there is no analog signal, the artifacts go away. That's a reset of some sort in the monitor, I guess. I wonder if it is related to the mess that GRUB2 makes during boot sometimes.

Then there's the underscan problem on a Vizio TV with one version of Ubuntu and not another. In many respects, with so many parts and pieces and protocols all having to work together it is amazing it works at all.
Bryan

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Optex, before the update you did... had you been able to trigger the fault by playing video games and other graphics intensive programs each and every time, or was it dumb luck? I've been very good about keeping drivers up to date, especially when building a system. I'm the guy who instantly starts playing Frisbee with the disks that manufacturers send with their goods, they are completely useless the week they ship their products to the retailers.

If going into those types of programs always triggered it before and aren't now then I'll give this a try. I would have probably updated regardless, but I'd like to document and pinpoint my problem/solution to determine what the cause was. Also, could you please tell me what version of the Catalyst drivers you were using before (can find that in the event viewer or device manager) and what version was recently installed. I'd like to compare the release notes between these versions to see if there are any changes that could logically cause there to be a problem or fix. Thanks again Optex :)

Edit: Here is a link to the AMD APU 38xx driver update page. On the top of each driver versions page you'll see text saying "Release Notes", that gives you the entire release notes on that particular driver. Ignore the truncated notes at the bottom of each drivers main page as it ONLY outlines video game performance and stability fixes, not general problems.

optex
Gerbil

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Welch and Bryanl.
The lines, usually one or two, would be at the very top right, or at tops of windows, further down. Randomized broken flickering white and black lines, more solid on the right.
Original driver was 8.86 from disc. Upgraded from site to, 11.12 to try and fix lines, in early Jan. Thought was fixed, then happened again on Jan 29.
I had lost my patience after one day, trying to get the lines happening again. Did not see lines. That's when I updated drivers from 11.12 to 12.1
I really don't want to uninstall and put the old drivers back to verify, as I could be waiting weeks to confirm.
I have three other dedicated hard drives, that I use separately in a bay. Win7 64b with driver 8.86 for paying bills, Win7 32b 8.86 driver for watching video files,
and Winxp for Games, as well as my workhorse ssd win7 64b 12.1driver. Tried today, being on each of the four drives for a couple of hours. No lines.
Is this a wild goose chase or what?
I am happy for now. Couple of theories. Random Neutron from space, or the old favorite, blame it on Windows, this time, say, Windows Silverlight. :roll:
Definitely not heat, as I installed heatsink on top of original southbridge heatsink and changed APU heat sink to cooler master, with push pull fans. Idle system temp 36C, Apu 12C.
Anyway, below is what I copied, from web page of another forum, Whirlpool Forums Addict.
They seem stumped as well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
figarow
For the past few weeks I have noticed a couple of horizontal flickering white lines at the very top of browser, email & folder windows. The flicker occurs in the browser randomly or when I switch between tabs, with the folder windows it happens when I hover the mouse on those title bars. This computer is only about 4 months old, could it be the video card or monitor causing these problems? Maybe the monitor cable?

AMD A8 3850 (on board video)
ASRock A75M-HVS
OCZ Vertex 2 – 60GB
Seagate Green 1TB SATA
Avexir 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 – PC3-12800
LG DVD
Thermaltake V4
Windows 7 64bit

SpaceOne
Then I'm pretty sure it isn't the monitor.
Have you tried upgrading the video card drivers?

figarow
No I have not. I did however change the video cable, which I thought had fixed the problem, because that day it didn't do it, but sadly it's doing it again, this time the lines are not just at the top but randomly at any point of the screen.
Could be my imagination but seems to only start doing it after the computer has been on for some time? Maybe after it is getting hot.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:53 am

Wow, they are having the EXACT same issue we are... I'm not crazy :D (Well still sorta)!!!

If you look at their specs we all 3 have something in common... We all have 3850's, and we all have different motherboards/brands but with the same A75 chipset. Other specs don't seem to match. I'm starting to think that we may have a bad batch of APUs from AMD or bad batch of Chipsets from them.... hmmm.

Can you please use CPU-Z and let me know the exact CUPID for your APU? I'm curious to see if its a specific stepping or if they were released in a certain time frame. Also from CPU-Z could you tell me what your's manufacture or in service date was? If ours look to match fairly closely I may contact the post from the other forums. Thanks again Optex, this does seem like a wild goose chase :|.

optex
Gerbil

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi Welch.
This is all the info I could get. No idea how to retrieve manufacturer date.
APU
Using CORE TEMP, CPUID is (0x300F10)
Using CPU-Z, Family (F) Model (1) Stepping (0)
Ext.Family (12) Ext.Model (1) Rev (LN1-B0) Brand ID (21)
Chipset (AMD ID1705) rev (00)
Southbridge (AMD A75) rev (11)

Found something similar about flickering horizontal line on AMD-A8-3510MX APU ( http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-D ... td-p/82913 )
Seems, if they updated catalyst software at AMD site, and not windows update , problem went away.
I have gone back to overclocked mode 3406MHz, x26, 131MHz. Still no flickering lines to speak of, using catalyst ver 12.1. Only have a twitching eye, from looking at top of screen all the time. :roll:
This maybe my last post, unless it comes back. Still think it's the software driver.
Thanx

I remember seeing an old cartoon picture of a guy who brings his computer into a service center.
He asks the tecky if he thinks it's a hardware or software problem.
The tecky shakes the case. It makes a rattling sound and out falls some loose screws.
It's a hardware problem! :)

optex
Gerbil

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:02 am

Sorry about the shortened address. Write click it on properties to get the full address.
See ya

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am

Well Optex, from the looks of it the manual update seemed to fix it. I've not received any reports about screen flicker since I ran that AMD official update in place of the Asus one. Looks like the motherboard manufacturers are getting some bad code in there for them all to have the same problem. Or they are all based off of an older build.

optex
Gerbil

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Super, great, we all lived happily ever after. :lol:

optex
Gerbil

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Knew I shouldn't have made fun of it, in the last post. Karmas got me now. :(
It's back again!
I had computer on for a couple of days. Last night was using Orbit downloader with IE9 to download some flash videos.
Then dislay flashed and message popped up,"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
This happened a couple of times, then blue screen of death, with a note about display driver not working correctly.
I rebooted. Everything normal, until I played a video in Gom, and Windows player.
The flashing white and black line was back! At least it wasn't showing on the desktop this time.
Rebooted, restarted same video. It's gone. Hasn't shown up since.
Well,
all I can say is driver is better than before,
but still needs some working on from AMD\ATI.
Ever heard this one?
" By the time they get all the bugs out, product will be obsolete." :cry:

costy
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:52 pm

I have the same issue, also getting bsod's.

Mobo/Laptop: Asus F1A75-V PRO
BIOS: 2201
CPU: AMD A8-3870K
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
HDD: OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-90G
Chipset: AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3)

Replace ram with below. Still flickering and bsod's
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX

Replaced Mobo and HDD with same models. Still flickering and bsod's

Replaced PSU. Still flickering and bsod's

Installed win 8 consumer preview. Still flickering and NO bsod's.
Windows drivers still flicker.
Updated to latest drivers. Still flickering.

Out of options except replacing the apu. Has anyone resolved this permanently?

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:21 pm

optex wrote:
Then dislay flashed and message popped up,"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I don't have any of the hardware you guys do, but maybe thats only a red herring....?

I have had that issue about driver recovery before on Radeon 5770's in my old Athlon II X4 640 system (erm, AMD 790X chipset on mobo IIRC). Followed by desktop graphical corruption and occasionally a blue screen of either:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

Re-boot and all would be right with the PC again until the next random driver crash and screen corruption. I spent an age troubleshooting the causes, looked at the Graphics card's first (I appreciate you can't do that, but I dont think the problem lies with your IGP), then looked at the mobo's physical health itself (caps and the like, all slots soldered on and the like), then RAM - And thats where I stopped.

All I could conclude was that my CPU didn't like running the RAM at the speed and timings I had told it too, or the RAM itself was faulty. I only suggest you look at the latter first because when I relaxed timings and clocked the DDR2 down from (its rated) 1066 to 800 the crashing would hardly ever show up (it literally went from being daily to once every few months). Eventually, I got fed up and replaced all 4 DIMM's and the problem never, ever come back so one of the 4 sticks must have been faulty.

May not work for you, but the memory controller in your A8 and the 640 Athlon I had are near identical (In short, I think it's awful) so it's worth a shot?
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Did you try update the video drivers from AMD..... not from Asus. That was the fix for me, and we are talking about over 6 machines I have out at customers. Only 3 of them exhibited the issue, and installing AMD's APU drivers 12.2 fixed the issue, no more complaints.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

My mom was having an issue with random yellow lines in the middle of a brand new HP laptop with a e-350.
The yellow lines would appear middle on the left just a little above the start menu, went away on it's own though.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

costy
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:43 am

I have tried the amd drivers, last one was amd_catalyst_win8_consumer_preview_[rc10], newest I could find and still the same issue.

I have tried amd 12-2 and 12-3 when it was windows 7 and same issues. I gave up on the asus drivers a long time ago.

I have tried 2 different monitors, 2 dvi cables, 1 hdmi and 1 dvi to hdmi. All have the same issue.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:16 pm

So the only thing you haven't really changed out is the motherboard? Since another poster had this same issue with a gigabyte board and not asus, i can only assume that this is a chipset related issue, and im wondering if its hardware related not just software. Ive got multiple systems out with the E-350 and none of them show this issue at all, only the APUs. Ive also got an A6 out there that is having the same or similar issue. So either its chipset related or a bad batch of processors. Maybe there will be a class action :O. Shall we start one lol.

costy
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:54 am

Last week i replaced mobo/hdd/ram/psu, only thing left is the apu. Even tried new os in windows 8.

PC was horrible this morning with the flicker.

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm just an outsider in this (don't have the same hardware), but it one common denominator I'm noticing with each of you is the DDR3 1600 ram. I've had some experience with IGPs, albeit Intels, and one thing I noticed is that some of them really don't like when you run the ram "out of spec". One case I remember in particular was with a G41 board I have that, although it "supported" ddr2 1066 and the ram was rated for such, the display would go all wonky if I tried anything much over ddr2 900. Also that ddr2 1066 ram only went up to 800 in the SPD.

This may have nothing to do with y'alls problem, but does running the memory at straight default settings make any difference?
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T