Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author

HELP!...I hate outlook

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:12 pm

I am transitioning the company I work for off of GoDaddy email and to another provider. All of the accounts were set up for pop3 and now they will be imap. When I try to add the new account in outlook it does not go into the "personal folders" but into another pst with the account name on it. I know there is a way to make the transition simple but I cannot remember as it has been 5+ years since I really worked with configuring outlook.

I do have a backup of everyones mail so if I have to wipe each one and start over I can easily. However, I tried that with mine and it did not get rid of the two different folders.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: HELP!...I hate outlook

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:06 pm

I think Export+Import would work, not sure if you can skip Export and do that directly off the old .pst though. It should be done on the new mailbox data file I believe.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks for the reply Fox.

I did do an export of the old .pst and then an import when I set up the mail account. This put all of my mail into the new imap account just fine. After a little more digging I found out that when you have an imap account in Outlook it does not go to the normal "personal folders" but to the new folder where the imap account is. I just put the inbox of the imap account as the default folder when opening outlook and it seems to be fine for what I am going to need. I didn't know this mainly because this is the first job I have had that used outlook without an exchange server.

Once I get everything moved over I am hoping that people will either not care about the two folders or will use the web based as I find it much easier than using outlook. In fact I have never been a fan of outlook.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:32 am

DrkSide wrote:
In fact I have never been a fan of outlook.

Ever used Lotus Notes?
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:44 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
DrkSide wrote:

Ever used Lotus Notes?

Yes. And I hate myself more everyday I use it.

no51
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
DrkSide wrote:

Ever used Lotus Notes?

My company is going to migrate to lotus notes for some odd reason. I dread that day.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:46 am

no51 wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:
DrkSide wrote:

Ever used Lotus Notes?

My company is going to migrate to lotus notes for some odd reason. I dread that day.

You should plan on leaving your company before that happens! :P

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:14 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Ever used Lotus Notes?

Dear god, yes. At one company I worked at for about 4 years we used Lotus Notes exclusively. I had always thought Outlook was somewhat of a decent product but contained plenty of bloat. Boy was I shown the light after using Lotus Notes 6.0 -> 8.1 by the time I left. It's no wonder Outlook is the gold standard for email, Lotus is the most bloat filled and half baked email client I have ever seen, I'd load Thunderbird or use web based mail before I'd willingly install Notes on anything.

Word for the wise: If your company is planning to migrate to Lotus, run the opposite direction as quickly as possible.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 am

I'm afraid that Outlook sucks hardcore as an IMAP client, so you're approximately doomed anyway. So far as I can tell this suckage is a deliberate effort to make you switch to using Exchange instead, because there's no reason for Outlook to be this bad after supporting IMAP for so many years.

We're transitioning to Zimbra client and server here, and it's not bad.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 am

bthylafh wrote:
We're transitioning to Zimbra client and server here, and it's not bad.

I've been happy with our Zimbra email server. My biggest complaint has been the lack of a good HA feature. Here's a link to the feature request in Bugzilla if you want to vote for it. (https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11423)

DrkSide
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 am

bthylafh wrote:
I'm afraid that Outlook sucks hardcore as an IMAP client.

This is what I am finding out the hard way. We have used GoDaddy email since I have worked here and it has been set up for years. The problem is 1) it is slow to send and receive 2) it blocks some emails from some of my vendors with no explanation as to why. I have talked with Godaddy about these problems but no help on either one.

Since we only have 7 employees with email and also need a document solution with real time collaboration we are going with Google Apps. It is free, fast, and the documents allow real time multi user updates.

I have used lotus notes, once......and only once. It was awful.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:41 pm

You'd THINK that after 2 decades of crappy enterprise/corporate email server/client solutions... Some company would RISE to the top and do something about this mess!

#1 enterprise solution used by ALL companies across the globe: Microsoft Exchange/Outlook. sucks.
#2 enterprise solution used by MOST companies across the globe: IBM Lotus Notes. really sucks.

SO... no #3? why not? wtf mate, it can't be THAT hard to make something far superior over those 2. geez. money is knocking at your doors developers! :P