Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Has my laptop been infected with SecuROM?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:28 pm

So I purchased Grand Theft Auto Collector's Edition PC, which contains GTA1, GTA London 1969, and GTA 2. As usual, I copied those CDs into Nero image files (.NRG), because I just have a habit of playing from mounted images. I plan to play the game in DOSBOX and GLide Wrapper.

Turned out the GTA Collector's Edition is protected by SecuROM.

It seems my laptop has been infected by disgusting SecuROM. In panic, I search the internet, and found tips to remove SecuROM manually (this and this). It says that first we must deleted Securom\ folder in C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data.

I have searched every Application Data\ folder in each user. And yes, I always enable "Show hidden files" on Windows Explorer. Yet, I didn't find the Securom\ folder.

Also, I have ran TrashReg, and it failed to find anything suspicious.

However, when using regedit, I found a registry entry named SecuROM in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software.

PS: I'm using Windows XP SP2 on Lenovo B460 laptop.

So has my laptop been infected with SecuROM? And how could I remove the disgusting thing? Help!

Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: Has my laptop been infected with SecuROM?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Also, I have checked Windows Services, yet I didn't see SecuROM User Access Service (UAService), nor did I find uaservice7.exe in C:\Windows\System32 folder. But still, there are SecuROM registry entries in my registry. What happens?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 pm

So did you install the game and then uninstall it?

Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:10 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
So did you install the game and then uninstall it?

Well, all the searches above was done before I uninstalled the game, and yet I did not find the relevant files.

Besides, uninstalling the game will not remove SecuROM anyway, what differences does it make?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 pm

There's a uninstaller that you can run to remove securom.
The name is removal_tool.zip it's at https://support.securom.com/removaltool.html.

Only run it once if it finds securom otherwise the uninstaller installs securom on your system.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:10 am

Thanks folks! I used the remover, and it seems to work. There is no longer SecuROM entries on my registry.

Well, as for the game itself, I eventually found my original GTA 1 CD, and got rid myself of the collector edition. Now I have the GTA I'm already familiar with - the one with GTAFX.EXE in GTADOS folder. Tested it with DOSBOX ykhwong built.

I'm using September 2011 built (20110922.7z), because the latest built crashes when loading state (IIRC because Taewoong uses Visual Studio C compiler). The 20110922 built can save and load state in Grand Theft Auto without crashing, but after loading state, the textures become corrupted that my car looks like a piece of sidewalk, building roof look llike mosaic of cars, etc, etc, and sometimes it's bad enough that it hampers gameplay.

Too bad. The reason I didn't finish GTA1 on the first place is because it cannot save a game during a mission - which could take hours. This game really screams for a save game feature.

I'll try tinkering with it again next weekend. Maybe the texture corruption happens because I'm using "dynamic" values for every parameter (automatic CPU cycle, changing DOSBOX output from Direct3D to OpenGL back and forth, etc). I'll try to run DOSBOX traditionally, with a conf file where everything is set statically, and try save and load state with GTA.

But otherwise, everything is fine. I'm using it with nGLide wrapper, setting max FSAA, etc, and the graphic looks great. Too bad there the save and load state doesn't work well with GTA 1.