Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tribes: Ascend

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:12 pm

It calls you! Anyone want to meet up and hurt people you know?

In-game name is Forge64
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Tribes: Ascend

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:15 am

I played for about 4 hours on Sunday and came to the realization that Tribes isn't for me anymore, though it's really cool that the game is F2P. I may give Tribes Universe a shot if and when it comes out.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 am

Ascend is only Tribesy as far as the movement and some weapons work. Alot of the game isn't very Tribes at all. It's still better then T:V, but not nearly as good as T1/2

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:47 am

Yeah, it's no tribes 2, but I still like it better than most shooters I've played in the last five years. I'm getting classes unlocked pretty regularly, and finding my niche again. They've been making good progress with adding things each patch, I have hopes that it will get more like T2 as release approaches.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:52 am

I do too... I played the beta when I got an invite a few weeks ago for roughly 20 hours. I stopped when I hadn't unlocked a new class. Physics based weapons ARE fun, but that only goes so far when you only have two to play with and one is a hitscan.

There are some keys on page 3:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12 ... ent-page-3

I don't know if any of them aren't taken yet.

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:49 am

Heeeeeelllp!

Downloaded it and fired it up last night. Was a little concerned that my name was already taken, but then realized it had been taken by me all those months ago when I signed up for closed beta, and never downloaded it. :)

GBCrush

if you want to add me.

I loved it. Once I got it running, I went through the tutorial and instally blew past the first skiing one. Did a little target practice, trying to get a hold of how I wanted my bindings and it immediately felt like tribes. Whatever Hi-Rez did, they did well, and it instantly felt closer to T1/T2 than T:V did, that's for sure.

I also came to the quick realization that I'm having trouble getting around. I'm like the old guy who used to work out, and wants to pick up weight lifting as much as where he left off 10 years ago, or running just as far in the same time he managed a decade ago. Infact, gods, it was 10 years ago (or more) since I've played my last game of T2, wasn't it?

So, I know how to ski, I *know* I will ski better with more practice and regular usage, but my (virtual) body is screaming at me to go faster, more efficient, now. Can I get your help please? :)

Here's where I am:
- I've got my space bar mapped for jump/ski
- I've got my RMB mapped for jetpack

I'm pretty sure this is how I had things mapped out for Tribes 2. But when I go down a slope and come up to a little rise, I notice I get a nice shallow rise in the arc of flight. I did switch back to RMB being jump/jet pack a bit, and I seemed to be taking a more expected, higher arc. I guess that's why it's set that way.

But then, you know, if I want a small boost of jet to help me speed down the hill, or glide across a flat surface, I cant hit RMB anymore. if I do, instead of skiing faster I take off...which would be disasterous halfway down a hill. :D At least, this is what I remember doing in previous games, using small bursts of jet as a speed enhancer and not just a -rocket-to-the-sky maneuver.

am I making any sense? what are your bindings like, and how do you do it?

(p.s. I tried mapping R button to jump/jet and then using the RMB to just keep applying jet after I had done that, but damn if I remember to use it like that in the heat of a furball. :S)
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:48 am

Forge I saw you on last night. I had some issues with the client and had to DL again and getting it up and running took some time. I'll be on a bit over the next few days hopefully. I'll get at you next time I'm on though.

Crush: I have all the key bindings defaulted. I didn't really play any tribes before this one so I'm not opposed to the way it's set up.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 am

Do we need to discuss putting together a TR tribe in this thread?

You know, something with a little more permanence than the news topic?

Also, DancinJack, do I look for you on TA under "DancinJack" ? :)
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:10 am

gbcrush wrote:
Also, DancinJack, do I look for you on TA under "DancinJack" ? :)

Aye. I should be on tonight to play some. Don't know what time though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:46 am

DancinJack wrote:
Forge I saw you on last night. I had some issues with the client and had to DL again and getting it up and running took some time. I'll be on a bit over the next few days hopefully. I'll get at you next time I'm on though.

Crush: I have all the key bindings defaulted. I didn't really play any tribes before this one so I'm not opposed to the way it's set up.

I saw you, jumped in and out of games a few times since you showed as 'in lobby' the whole time. Sorry to hear you had troubles, I'll be around to play this weekend, off and on.

I try to play at least one winning match a day, to get the 1200XP First Win bonus. It's worth it, even if you don't have time to sit and play for hours.

Vivaldi
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:31 am

Looks like someone took my suggestion! Thanks for starting the thread.

My player name in T:A is V1V4LD1.

The names I've collected so far from this thread are: Forge64, GBCrush, and DancinJack. Please feel free to friend me, although you won't see me online until mid-next week as I'm traveling.

As soon as I get back (from traveling), I will friend your accounts. I typically play evenings.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 am

I like the idea, but we should devide ourselves in regions. I mean even if i add all you guys but 70% of you live in America the ping alone would deter me from playing with ya'll.

I myself play in Europe.

I will edit later with my exact region and player name. I think it's Arclight1st but i'm a lil sick now, i played T:A pretty much exclusively for the last few days.

Um i made a mistake myself and i'd like to warn people who are only now starting to play, i unlocked all classes instead of investing in a single one so i can unlock weapons, weapon and armour upgrades.

Personally i like the heavies more but i find myself routinely destroyed in open field combat by the soldier, raider and sometimes (to my shame) even by the engi if he surprises me while i use the moratar on the enemy base. Last night i finally unlocked the bute and it faires a little better than the jugger in open field but i still get out manouvered by a decent mid or light weight class. If they screw up and use the energy too fast i can dish the punishment, otherwise i'm screwed.

Any advice on mid air spinfusor shots? I can't reliably pull them off....and those that can rule the field.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:29 am

I've been playing with morphine, and we seem to do fine on UK servers. He pings 50-60, I ping 100-120. It's manageable in a game like Tribes.

Heavies + open field = don't do that. I kill you there for a reason.

Midair spinfusor : that's years of practice you're seeing. Those guys didn't just pick up the game, they just started playing Ascend.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 am

Forge wrote:
I've been playing with morphine, and we seem to do fine on UK servers. He pings 50-60, I ping 100-120. It's manageable in a game like Tribes.

Heavies + open field = don't do that. I kill you there for a reason.

Midair spinfusor : that's years of practice you're seeing. Those guys didn't just pick up the game, they just started playing Ascend.

My region is Europe: Amsterdam
Nickname: Arclight1st (add me if you can)

Atm i'm experiencing a problem, i was playing, the match ended but then i got booted in the lobby with no real explination on screen. I can't acess the main menu, the /quit command doesn't work.....Did the servers crash or something? Nvm, the menu appeared again after a few minutes.....weird.

Question: If i refer someone, do they get something in return? Can we refer eachother if we get xp?
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Just started today. Name is monsterbreath. I was starting to forget how fun Tribes is.

If you go heavy you need to stay near the base or get to the enemy base quickly.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Arclight wrote:
Atm i'm experiencing a problem, i was playing, the match ended but then i got booted in the lobby with no real explination on screen. I can't acess the main menu, the /quit command doesn't work.....Did the servers crash or something? Nvm, the menu appeared again after a few minutes.....weird.

Question: If i refer someone, do they get something in return? Can we refer eachother if we get xp?

Server crashed, yeah. Happens sometimes, and the client doesn't handle it as gracefully as I'd like. It's getting better, though.

Referrers get XP/GP/etc bonuses when the referred person hits level 6. No other bonuses at this time. The referred gets a great game, and you automatically added to their friend list. Mutual referrals are not possible, since you have to be registered to refer.

I *have* heard that some folks are chain-referring. They refer guy, guy plays to level 6, stops using login. Gets new referral from original account, repeat. I'd imagine this will be locked out soon.

Vivaldi
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:11 pm

The preview of the Custom Servers looks very, very cool. Instant respawns, unlimited vehicles, adjustable limits, etc.

One thing I'd like to see is multi-team deathmatches and/or dominations. Similar to Unreal Tournament GOTY (1999) where you could join matches and pick Red, Blue, Green, or Yellow.

On a separate note, has anyone noticed that, post-beta, the game feels a bit different, slower, or less smooth? I feel like the physics / mechanics have shifted, but I can't put my finger on it.

I'll be playing tonight a bit if anyone wants to come find me. :D

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:53 pm

They feel laggier to me, but otherwise the same.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

Vivaldi
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:29 pm

I warn you, the newbies are out in full force. I played for several hours last night, and I found it difficult to find a game where people were in-sync and coordinated with one another, let alone weren't llama-grabbing.

I can't wait for Custom Servers / Ranked matches. 8)

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:04 am

David wrote:
Just started today. Name is monsterbreath. I was starting to forget how fun Tribes is.

If you go heavy you need to stay near the base or get to the enemy base quickly.

I played with you yesterday night i think. But i was having a hard time getting hitmarkers, my ping was like 130ish ms on the server of your choosing. Otherwise it was fun, gg.
Last edited by Arclight on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:51 am

Arclight wrote:
David wrote:

I played with you yesterday night i think. But i was having a hard time getting hirmarkers, my ping was like 130ish ms on the server of your choosing. Otherwise it was fun, gg.

Yep, it was fun. You kicked ass the first game. The second game seemed to be laggier. I was having some trouble, too.

How do you like the Technician? Noticed you playing that the second game.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 pm

David wrote:
Yep, it was fun. You kicked ass the first game. The second game seemed to be laggier. I was having some trouble, too.

How do you like the Technician? Noticed you playing that the second game.

Well tehnician is pretty fun, if your generator is well protected....if not it's a nightmare. Overall it's the class i enjoy the most, after soldier.

Vivaldi
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Being tech can be a nightmare if you don't have at least one heavy watching your back in the gen room.

Frequently, I'll switch temporarily to the tech class, quickly repair everything, drop as many turrets as I can in the *most* nefarious, annoying spots available, then switch back to PF or a Heavy immediately. 8)

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 am

OK, first I need to get back into this. My first few days with T:A were a blast, and I can definitely feel how poor my tribes skills have gotten over several years of not playing. :)

Too many things to do, too many games to play, but I really shouldn't be spinfusor shy. :)

Second, there's this, which I'm stoked about.

Tribes Ascend Benchmarks. It's not often you see T:A being used as a bench mark, let alone using it to bench mark such a variety of GPUs. Awesome.

I'm going to have to try that FPS console command just to see where I stand. I've been running a dual core proc with a 5850 and T:A is pretty damn smooth.

Which leads me to point number #3. I know I really should stop thinking of "Free to play connect to online services" games as "thin clients" because they're not, but I'm still shocked to hear that T:A is more demanding than Mass Effect 3, which in my mind should be a much heftier game. Oh well. :)

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 am

Becoming very annoyed at the multitude of Autos in the game (and more being added). Game is becoming less Tribes and more Halo/CoD with every update. I'm playing this for something different, not the same old BS.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 am

What do you guys think about the new weapons for the Raider class?

OP or ballanced?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am

Everyone was screaming that the Plasma was OP the other day, but after seeing it used, it looks like most folks have calmed down. It seems to do damage similar to the medium/large spinfusors, with a larger blast radius and a slower projectile speed.

Not OP, just different.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I just found the greatest video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urfADUE2 ... ure=b-vrec

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:48 am

Major update yesterday. What do you guys think of the changes and new weapons (or as they call them, variants)?

Also, idk if you guys experienced this, but some of my unlocks have been lost...Like the last upgrade of the Thrust for Pth or the Egocentric perks i just unlocked a few days ago.......Anyone else lost something?