Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Jive
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Apple & Valve collaboration?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/13/app ... irm-valve/

Not sure what this is about, but perhaps something to do with the rumored steam console? iOS based with a steam delivery platform? I cant think of a reason why Apple would want to do this since they have their own content delivery system through the App Store. Thoughts?
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Apple & Valve collaboration?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:33 pm

It might make it easier for games to get ported to OS X, and games are one thing people cite for not making the switch. Plus, they can talk Valve into dropping any ideas about Linux support they might have, which is good for Apple and MS.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Plus, they can talk Valve into dropping any ideas about Linux support they might have, which is good for Apple and MS.

That'd suck but iirc Valve has actually confirmed they've never planned or worked on a Linux client.

/edit: actually, from March 30, 2012: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3OTY

Gabe Newell of Valve, the company behind Steam and the Source Engine, has allegedly sent over a message to Phoronix.

As mentioned on Twitter yesterday afternoon, he allegedly sent over an email. I expressed caution as he's not the one I normally deal with regarding Linux gaming matters, so I'm still waiting on official confirmation, but here's his email below.

We are running into a bunch of performance issues in Linux drivers (e.g. 50 millisecond draw calls because the driver is compiling a shader).

We'd like to hire someone to work on these performance issues. If you know of anyone we should be talking to, I'd appreciate getting connected with them.

Gabe Newell
Valve, Bellevue
Anyone up for this work?

Update: I've now been able to attain independent confirmation with Valve (here). This isn't an April Fools' Joke or anything else. They're in need of more Linux folks; will try to get more information to share after the first of the month, since many Phoronix Forums users remain unconvinced about any Valve Linux interests.

An April Fools joke?

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:56 pm

I've long wondered why Apple doesn't have a console, other than the fact that they seem smarter than Microsoft in the trying to be all things to all people camp.

But seriously, I think it's only a matter of time before something Apple TV-like sprouts a Kinect-like sensor and some serious gaming abilities.

ImSpartacus
Gerbil

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Buub wrote:
I've long wondered why Apple doesn't have a console, other than the fact that they seem smarter than Microsoft in the trying to be all things to all people camp.

But seriously, I think it's only a matter of time before something Apple TV-like sprouts a Kinect-like sensor and some serious gaming abilities.

Consoles are low-margin slugfests. Apple doesn't do low-margin.

There are other reasons, but that's the biggie.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 pm

ImSpartacus wrote:
Apple doesn't do low-margin.

Yeah, they kinda do, and they'll have to do so even more as they move ever-further out of the niche/upscale market and into the mainstream.

I don't see Valve and Apple collaborating on hardware. Valve have said they'd rather contract it out entirely, and I don't see Apple compromising what they no doubt feel is one of their main advantages (industrial design, aesthetics, etc) to appease a software company with no hardware track record. They already collaborate on software in some sense, and they may or may not do that to a higher degree in future...

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:09 pm

ImSpartacus wrote:
Buub wrote:

Consoles are low-margin slugfests. Apple doesn't do low-margin.

There are other reasons, but that's the biggie.

It's not about the console anymore. The console has become a portal to the Internet that sits between it and your television. I've booked more hours on Netflix and Hulu, by a long shot, on my XBox 360 than I have playing games. Combine that with iTunes music, television, and movie rentals and sales, and an Apple console makes a lot more sense, even if just as an Apple TV with more capabilities.

Combine the above with Siri's vastly superior voice recognition over XBox Kinect's really lame voice recognition, and the fact that apparently Apple has some patents floating around on their own face and gesture recognition technology, and they may already have an "Apple Kinect" in the labs.

Top it off with how the iPhone and iPad are becoming really powerful gaming devices, and I think it just becomes natural.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:23 am

Steam integration with the rumored Apple Television. One could hope.

I would love to see a native Steam client for my MBP. Its hardware is more than capable to run any game to date just need the OSX ports.

Any Apple/Valve collaboration would be good for both companies and for the Apple user base. I hope it does come to fruition. (Maybe it will force EA's hand to give up on Origin)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am

tanker27 wrote:
I would love to see a native Steam client for my MBP. Its hardware is more than capable to run any game to date just need the OSX ports.

As opposed to what? All of Valve's stuff is already available on Steam for Mac. Your post looks like something out of 2007.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:09 am

tanker27 wrote:

Any Apple/Valve collaboration would be good for both companies and for the Apple user base. I hope it does come to fruition. (Maybe it will force EA's hand to give up on Origin)

Yeah bro, its been said, but Steam already has a Mac Client and all Valve's games have been ported with no additional cost if you already owned the PC version.

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/

Jive
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 am

tanker27 wrote:
Maybe it will force EA's hand to give up on Origin

This is something i would love to see in a heartbeat, however i don't think it will ever come to fruition.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:02 am

Jive wrote:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/13/apple-ceo-tim-cook-visits-headquarters-of-video-game-firm-valve/

Not sure what this is about, but perhaps something to do with the rumored steam console? iOS based with a steam delivery platform? I cant think of a reason why Apple would want to do this since they have their own content delivery system through the App Store. Thoughts?

Makes little to no sense, most of the steam library is not available on any mac OS.

entropy13
Gerbil

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 am

My post from the Saturday Shortbread (April 14):

Valve finally sees the Holy Light? Are they accepting true enlightenment from the Holy Apple? Are they going to be faithful to the Sacred Word?
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:45 am

it just wasn't unfunny enough on the shortbread that you have to bring the brutal unfunny in here?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 am

Corrado wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Yeah bro, its been said, but Steam already has a Mac Client and all Valve's games have been ported with no additional cost if you already owned the PC version.

Likewise, I am confuse. Steam is OSX-native. Source-engine games should now all be OSX-native. It's the other 98-99% of the catalog that's lagging, and there's a solid wave of conversion happening, at Valve's urging.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:12 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
As opposed to what? All of Valve's stuff is already available on Steam for Mac. Your post looks like something out of 2007.

Corrado wrote:

Pay no attention to my comments.....lack of coffee makes me a dumbass and not thinking clearly.

:D
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!