Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

clone
Gerbil Elite

Re: Console vs. gaming PC

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:16 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
neg

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

clone wrote:
oh my god the tears.... and you've had no troubles reading / trolling to serve your own ego, what you have been doing is trying to impose your own standards on others because your singular ego gets easily ruffled whether it be via spelling, grammar or a direct comment you cry by default.

both of your responses have embraced my quotes beautifully, I thank you for that.

as for the blind comments, I use the term blind in hopes he'll stop and figure it out because so far SPOOFE deliberately or not refuses understand the ramifications of his comments and how they work against his position let alone what others have said / are saying..... btw have any of your recent posts had anything to do with console vs gaming PC?... "clown" ... quite a double standard you are pushing.

p.s. because you are likely incapable of letting it go I'll ignore your offtopic, childish / fascist dreck going forward and get back on topic.

Who are you addressing?

@Everyone, I'm sorry for all my poorly typed ideas. Was also drafting at the same time so it wasn't really my main concern. If you guys want I can go back and edit stuff on my lunch break. I'm not a complete idiot. :wink:

clone
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:22 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
Vrock wrote:
You are so confident in the superiority of your platform that you insult and debase people who don't share that ideal. Because hey, if they can't see how superior the PC is to console gaming, then they must be idiots! :roll:.

Its not about being idiots, hey if someone doesn't pick the best retirement plan or get the best job or achieve all he can in life is he an idiot??? I don't think so. I might use the term ignorant and their is nothing wrong with that. The masses are a thing that cannot be changed they will exist and as SPOOFE has pointed out where part of the PC platform in decades gone by. I would argue though that the "MASSES"of old HAD to be more technically inclined to game on the PC in the days of old. This barrier does in and of its self shape the "MASSES" into something a little more... informed? I mean basically the barrier was like a test. Hey if you are this smart, competent, and dedicated... YOU are a PC gamer. Sure some guys who aren't in the double digits with their IQ's probably made it, carried along by smarter people doing things for them but doesn't really change the point of my argument. The Masses of PC gamers have and most likely never will be the same as the console masses. No barrier means any boob with a wallet can game, so your market is neither dedicated or informed on any level beyond how to purchase things. This is how development for the Discerning console mass has informed or otherwise shaped for better/worse the design of games for the past decade. Doesn't mean if you are a console gamer you are ignorant its more the other way around if you are ignorant you are likely a console gamer. So what I'm a console gamer luckily that fact in and of itself doesn't rob me of my intellect and knowledge. Don't worry guys you can play console games and still be smart competent people, actually I would argue more smart people playing consoles could influence that market, issue being that would require smart people to become a much larger share and that isn't really possible. No matter smart people have more money than poor people, pc gamers supposedly average something like 2 or 3 times the number of games of any console consumer from what I heard a while ago. Take that and the fact that every game doesn't have a licensing fee attached to it there is ALLOT more money per consumer in the PC market for publishers and developers. Tapping that means creating smart, creative games and not hindering them with DRM that disrespects the consumer.
TLDR, and may God have mercy on your poor English teacher, whomever he/she is/was.

entropy13
Gerbil

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:08 am

We all know that only those that believe in the Sacred Word of the Holy Apple are the truly enlightened, the pinnacle of human achievement, so this argument is actually pointless. Like comparing which is more sh*tty, a horse's s**t or a bull's s**t.

Long Live the Holy Apple! Hail to Apple the Magnificent! Glory be to our Lord Steve Jobs!
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:37 am

lol, seems I've derailed the thread by way of poor grammar. :wink: 8) I was considering going back and editing it to be more palpable to you guys but the responses are too great :lol:

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:54 pm

or at the least notice how his own comments are working against his position

You don't even know what my position IS. I'll give you a hint: You agreed with it, completely, absolutely, 100%, just a couple posts back.

More trolls. How sad. A couple times there, before the PC Children's Crusade vomited everywhere, it looked like this might be the most fruitful Console vs. PC discussion yet. Oh well. As far as I'm concerned, this topic is already closed.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm

SPOOFE wrote:
More trolls. How sad. A couple times there, before the PC Children's Crusade vomited everywhere, it looked like this might be the most fruitful Console vs. PC discussion yet. Oh well. As far as I'm concerned, this topic is already closed.

A most divine decree! Too bad y'ain't a mod, eh?

<3

/edit: fwiw, I'm totally on-board with your position (I'm platform agnostic). I do like word games, obviously. Denigrate me! Step on my cubes, etc.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:42 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:05 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
@Everyone, I'm sorry for all my poorly typed ideas. Was also drafting at the same time so it wasn't really my main concern. If you guys want I can go back and edit stuff on my lunch break. I'm not a complete idiot. :wink:
With an attention span like that , I'd bet money you're part of the Millenial generation. **** Millenial Generation.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Vrock wrote:
danny e. wrote:
Console gameing is like fast food and PC gaming is like fine dining.
You're such a snob. If you don't like something, it's because you're superior, and everyone else who does like it is a fat idiot, is that it?

Now where have I seen this attitude before? Oh yeah!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/07/12/

I missed this when it went up, but Vrock has a point. The "PC Master Race" types really are kind of grating in that particular way.

And what's super-amusing is that these same people are most likely to be the ones rambling on about RDFs and how inferior OS X is.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:31 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I missed this when it went up, but Vrock has a point. The "PC Master Race" types really are kind of grating in that particular way.

And what's super-amusing is that these same people are most likely to be the ones rambling on about RDFs and how inferior OS X is.

And it's the same people that would get on your nerves with any number of other stupid things that they are elitist about. This whole discussion is exceedingly pointless, and I don't see anyone here being convinced by any of the others' arguments any time soon.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:31 pm

I don't think the point of this thread is to convince anybody of anything; the point of the thread is to blow off steam and make fun of each other. At least, that seems to be what it's been doing the last several pages.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:11 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't think the point of this thread is to convince anybody of anything; the point of the thread is to blow off steam and make fun of each other. At least, that seems to be what it's been doing the last several pages.

Did we kill it? Could it be?

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:50 pm

wow, really? We're still discussing this after I explained it all very clearly? :D

Sometimes you want a whopper.Sometimes you want a steak.
FPS is a steak and fast food places don't serve steak.

Once the Xbox 720 is released next year, then it will help the PC world a little.. with the exception of the dumbed down controls for FPS.
As I see it, FPS is the main thing that gets dumbed down on PC.. there are many games that are much more fun on console. FPS is just not one of them.

What is amusing to me is that those saying consoles are so great keep saying "look at how many people are doing it" as an argument. worst argument ever. McDonalds is very popular. Which was the main point with my other post that I don't care no one got as they stuff their face with fries and big macs.

Things that are most popular will always be the most general, the most bland and the most lame. Cream painted walls, fast food, "prime time tv", welfare, angry birds (really? :roll: ), "pop" music....
----------

Oh, and remember when we used to have Flight Simulators? Can't wait till the console crowd tells me you could do it on a console without dumbing it down.
I remember this one time at band camp where a Boeing 747 was being flown by this pilot using a control with 6 buttons.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Firestarter wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

True until Danny decided that his exquisite simile was buried too deeply in the thread and he wanted to type just to see his name on the screen again.

Litzner
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Obvious Troll thread is obvious.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:42 pm

That's it? That's your first post? If the forums had a +/- system I'd minus you for one of the most tired memes ever. I hope you treat other forums better. ****, son.

Not to mention that this thread isn't actually a thread at all; it started as an off-topic reply to another thread entirely.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:11 pm

can you link the original thread or whatever please, could be an interesting read.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=79460

It's an SBA thread. There's nothing particularly interesting. You could have figured this out for yourself by reading the titles on the 2nd and 3rd post and search the forum for the thread title.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 pm

There was also a link in the 10th message on the first page of this thread.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:04 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Firestarter wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

True until Danny decided that his exquisite simile was buried too deeply in the thread and he wanted to type just to see his name on the screen again.

I grew up in the jungle and even I know :D is spelled "smilie" .
yes, yes... I'm here all day folks.

derFunkenstein wrote:
... he wanted to type just to see his name on the screen again.

derFunkenstein

danny e.

wait, what? :)

I'm just amused by it all and why people care so much about personal tastes of others.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:50 am

My count might be higher but I'm not repeating the same garbage over and over. If I say it once, it's good enough for me. There are attention whores who get unsatisfactory results and repeat nonsense. Thegleek is another that comes to mind. ;)

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:34 pm

I think I'm definitely guilty of using forums to recite my ideologies over and over. I'm sorry.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:59 am

Wow, this thread still going?
michael_d trolled us hard :D

In other news my 3rd Xbox just RROD'ed three hours into Mass Effect 3. Downloading pirate copy for PC now, since I'm not paying for a game twice.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

In other news my 3rd Xbox just RROD'ed three hours into Mass Effect 3. Downloading pirate copy for PC now, since I'm not paying for a game twice.

well that obviously shows that PCs are the death of gaming, as the honest to good developers got screwed out of the money they'd make on selling you the game twice. Remember, each time you pirate a game, a game developer's kitty starves to death!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Oh no, not the kittehs! :cry:
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:

Ok, so let me get this straight. Microsoft sold you a POS piece of hardware. Sad but fair, you bought a game on that hardware, ok well your mistake. Hardware died... Ok well as it was your 3rd RROD I think you knew it was coming. You pirate on the preferred platform, there by not supporting it but only condemning it. Paying for it twice is LEGALLY and MORALLY the right move. Buying it for xbox was your fault and not EA's. At most you could blame Microsoft except there is an old saying, "fool me once, same on you... " You get the idea. Spending 120 dollars to play a game is your own fault... wait it is already discounted down to 40 on amazon and was on sale for 30 in the past week. Now you are just looking silly. Return your copy or craigs list it for better cash and you can probably get the pc version at next to no loss, maybe 5-10 dollars.

End of the day of the two parties who might be at fault in this you reach out and steel from the 3rd party who didn't wrong you in this exchange and you get self righteous about it. Amazing.

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Didn't want to create another thread, so I'll just post this here, since it basically fits the topic.

The reason I think PC's are better for gaming than consoles, IMO....

1. Sound quality. You can add better sound to a PC with a sound card. The only limit is your wallet. Consoles, your stuck with their solution. Yes, there are third-party USB addons out there for consoles, but choice is better with a PC.

2. High-Defness. Consoles, your limited to 1080p, AFAIK. PCs, you could get about twice that, maybe more, again, depending on your wallet.

3. Custom MODs. Shouldn't require any explanation.

4. Load times. With a RAID controller, your wallet is the only limit. Consoles, yes, they have hard drives as well, but your stuck with what they offer.

5. UI(user interface). IMO, the Xbox 360 menu has sucked since they added Wii-styles avatars in the UI. PC, not an issue. Very customizable. Yes, they even offer KDE for M$ Windows.

6. Mouse. IMO, mice are better for FPS games. I can't stand using a console controller for aiming at something. As far as the Wii-mote and Kinect goes, I hope it passes as a fad. Keyboard and mouse are the way to go.

7. Choice of GPU and graphics libraries. With consoles, your stuck with what they offer. Xbox 360(customized DirectX), PS3(OpenGL ES 2.0), Wii(GX, proprietary nintendo thing). PC, you have choices, DirectX, OpenGL, and a few others, even homebrew if you have the skills.
Change sucks

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 pm

moresmarterthanspock wrote:
Didn't want to create another thread, so I'll just post this here, since it basically fits the topic.

The reason I think PC's are better for gaming than consoles, IMO....

1. Sound quality. You can add better sound to a PC with a sound card. The only limit is your wallet. Consoles, your stuck with their solution. Yes, there are third-party USB addons out there for consoles, but choice is better with a PC.

I would dispute this, Really the console audio is determined by the processing on your stereo or TV, its quite a different beast. If you ever connect your PC to REALLY high quality stereo parts you will bypass the card all together and let your receiver handle the processing. So its sort of a mute point. My Computer routes audio via HDMI to my 7.1 polk setup, sounds way the heck better than even the best PC speakers.

2. High-Defness. Consoles, your limited to 1080p, AFAIK. PCs, you could get about twice that, maybe more, again, depending on your wallet.

FYI, consoles going digital out for their video removes allot of display limitations. That being said due in large part of the display limitations are due to weak hardware and software limitations. Most games render at 720p or below. Its sad and I didn't realize this till I had already bought my 60" 1080p plasma. Luckily my PC does 1080p without breaking a sweat, even for BF3.

3. Custom MODs. Shouldn't require any explanation.

While this is changing the rule of thumb is yes PC mods are better if your a gamer on a budget a well modded game can support you for a year or two even today, just look at elder scrolls for a recent example.

4. Load times. With a RAID controller, your wallet is the only limit. Consoles, yes, they have hard drives as well, but your stuck with what they offer.

RAID??? I know what it is but have no idea why people use it anymore except in server applications. RAID will disable trim for SSDs and that is a self defeating proposition. RAID as far as performance goes only really benefits HDD still and that is at a loss of reliability. A SSD, 8 Gb of RAM and a 3 Gb GPU sorta make your point for you but you didn't articulate it the best.

5. UI(user interface). IMO, the Xbox 360 menu has sucked since they added Wii-styles avatars in the UI. PC, not an issue. Very customizable. Yes, they even offer KDE for M$ Windows.

I'll agree with you here, as a multi media hub the flexible and dynamic interface of the PC pared with the mouse and keyboard is best, for couches there are now a number of affordable and functional options.

6. Mouse. IMO, mice are better for FPS games. I can't stand using a console controller for aiming at something. As far as the Wii-mote and Kinect goes, I hope it passes as a fad. Keyboard and mouse are the way to go.

While I love mice they just don't do the couch justice. That being said most games either support or have mods the make them compatible with a xbox controller if you are into that thing.

7. Choice of GPU and graphics libraries. With consoles, your stuck with what they offer. Xbox 360(customized DirectX), PS3(OpenGL ES 2.0), Wii(GX, proprietary nintendo thing). PC, you have choices, DirectX, OpenGL, and a few others, even homebrew if you have the skills.

This is a Major con for many so its a moot point.

On the whole the best thing you can say about PC is does what you want. If you have the coin and or time you can make some insane setups for the living room or office. Its hard to define what a PC is. Most any short falls it suffers are now across all platforms so its not a PC issue.