Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Why do most women not care about HD

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 am

Has anyone else noticed that he majority of women do not give a crap if they watch there stupid shows in SD when its available in HD?
I am constantly putting the hd channel on for them and pointing out how much better it looks but they do not seem to care.
And by stupid shows i mean house wives of whatever and so on,I can be asleep for 30 minutes and if my wife put one of those shows on with those rich women arguing and yelling at each other it wakes me up instantly....and thats with me snoring:)Wife still asks how do you know.
My answer is simple how can any man sleep with women arguing in my dreams.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:57 am

Well these shows are so stupid that you don't need better video. Imho sending that BS in HD is just a glorious waste of bandwidth. And watching them kills your brain cells. Get your poor wife another hobby!
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 am

vargis14 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that he majority of women do not give a crap if they watch there stupid shows in SD when its available in HD?
I am constantly putting the hd channel on for them and pointing out how much better it looks but they do not seem to care.
And by stupid shows i mean house wives of whatever and so on,I can be asleep for 30 minutes and if my wife put one of those shows on with those rich women arguing and yelling at each other it wakes me up instantly....and thats with me snoring:)Wife still asks how do you know.
My answer is simple how can any man sleep with women arguing in my dreams.

I don't think it's limited just to women. If the content is interesting to the viewer he will try to watch it any way he can.

The problem you face is rather that she likes and watches shows that you don't find intesting. But hey, what the [f] do i know?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 am

Arclight wrote:
The problem you face is rather that she likes and watches shows that you don't find intesting. But hey, what the [f] do i know?

Which means I can crank the Netflix data rate to its bare minimum so as not to run into the Comcast cap.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 am

Man this thread is just full of fail.

My wife likes HD, but it has more to do with the shape of the image than the clarity, though she doesn't mind stretching 4:3 content. That also makes me bonkers.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 am

Why do some nerds insist on gender stereotyping? :roll:
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:24 am

bthylafh wrote:
Why do some nerds insist on gender stereotyping? :roll:

Probably for the same reason that some gender insists on nerd stereotyping. ;)

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:58 am

She probably cares, she just doesn't know it. Let her watch one episode in HD and then, immediately after, the next episode in SD. :D
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

Anarchist
Gerbil

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 am

... and why do most men care about HD?

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 am

Why do people have HD, then watch Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu on it? So they can better see the compression artifacts?

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 am

I just can't see paying extra for HD. Also, my TV is too old to properly support it. I guess my nerd score is lower as a result. I appreciate watching HD sports at friend's houses, but that's about it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 am

liquidsquid wrote:
Why do people have HD, then watch Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu on it? So they can better see the compression artifacts?

Because the 100+ hours of HD content on the TiVo aren't what they want to watch right now.

Nothing irks me more than to come downstairs and find the TV on Netflix instead of chewing through their TiVo backlog. Don't even ask what happens when the TiVo wants both tuners to record something that won't be watched for 6 months or so.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 am

Anarchist wrote:

My guess is the most people don't. Either you have some kind of interest and knowledge, from which perspective you will probably always care that the image could be so much better. Or you don't, and you just take it for what it is...
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 am

Every time I go to my mom's house she is watching channel 8. I explain to her that channel 808 has the same shows but in HD. It just never penetrates her brain or something because she still just watches channel 8. She has a nice new 46" Sony lcd tv.

I shouldn't care one way or another, but I do. It's much like that feeling when I watch people Google "www.website.com" instead of just typing it into the address bar. GGGGAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:03 am

From my experience, I know about 3-6 people who'd care about it when the option's available. I don't think it's a women thing.

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 am

FubbHead wrote:
Anarchist wrote:

My guess is the most people don't. Either you have some kind of interest and knowledge, from which perspective you will probably always care that the image could be so much better. Or you don't, and you just take it for what it is...

Among the people I know, it's about 50/50. I think many people care more about the TV being large and thin than about the actual image quality.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am

I don't feel I am stereotypi g ,in my exspereince I have yet to see a male watch a tv show in Sd when he knows it's running simultaneously in hd. As for the women and girls I know it seems the sound is
More interesting then a pretty picture to them and they just don't care. Well at least I am not forced to watch it thank goodness I thInk I would shoot the tv after prolonged exsposure:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:30 am

Yeats wrote:
I think many people care more about the TV being large and thin than about the actual image quality.

Isn't it much more important to have a large screen than an HD picture? I would rather watch a SD movie on a projector than 4K-HD movie on a 24" screen. That having been said, image quality is a nice thing to have. I prefer to watch movies on Blu-Ray if possible.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:36 am

liquidsquid wrote:

I only have a 720p TV, so my experience may be different, but if everything is working correctly, there are WAY less compression artifacts via Netflix than my Comcast "HD" service. Netflix is so much clearer than the TV shows.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 am

Best thing I remember reading in the Calvin & Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book was Watterson's comment that good writing will save mediocre art more often than good art will save mediocre writing, but if a deadline forced him to run with a sub-par script, he would go for broke on the illustration. Similarly, there's a reason xkcd has a global fan base, and it isn't the stunning artistic quality of Randall Munroe's stick figures.

Shorter: if the TV show is worth watching, it's worth watching because it piques your interest. Sure, HD, 3D, sixty inches, and all of the other stuff is a nice value-add; and since I'm an A/V nerd, if I'm part of the audience then I'm going to flip on the stereo system and check for the correct output resolution and zoom to the correct aspect ratio. But otherwise, if someone else is trying to do their version of relaxing and doesn't find enough value-add to go looking for those features, stop bothering them during their show.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 am

Yeah, I don't think it's a woman thing. If anything it's just more of a habit thing. I think I find my mom watching the HD more than my dad.

I finally got my parents to default their choices to the HD channels at their house. Instead of 12, my dad now watches 2012!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

entropy13
Gerbil

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:23 am

The channels that would truly be even better "experience"-wise would be sports games. Makes you see a punch, a touchdown, a homerun, a buzzer-beater 3pointer, a long-range goal, a superb rally, a hole-in-one, etc. even better.
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Yeats wrote:
I think many people care more about the TV being large and thin than about the actual image quality.

Isn't it much more important to have a large screen than an HD picture? I would rather watch a SD movie on a projector than 4K-HD movie on a 24" screen. That having been said, image quality is a nice thing to have. I prefer to watch movies on Blu-Ray if possible.

That's kind of extreme, you are comparing very large vs very small. A more appropriate comparison would be would you rather watch a 4k HD movie on a 52" LCD or SD on a projector?

I'm perfectly fine with a good DVD on my Oppo player, my TV is only 32".

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
liquidsquid wrote:

I only have a 720p TV, so my experience may be different, but if everything is working correctly, there are WAY less compression artifacts via Netflix than my Comcast "HD" service. Netflix is so much clearer than the TV shows.

It probably depends on the ISP, I know with my small-town wireless ISP (who is likely doing little-to-no network management) Netflix in it's top HD mode is pretty clear and devoid of artifacts on my 1080p TV. A year ago when I lived in town the "HD" cable was horrifically overcompressed.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Yeats wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Yeats wrote:

That's kind of extreme, you are comparing very large vs very small. A more appropriate comparison would be would you rather watch a 4k HD movie on a 52" LCD or SD on a projector?

I'm perfectly fine with a good DVD on my Oppo player, my TV is only 32".

It's true in general though. I watched a movie in 1080P at a friend's house on his 40-something inch television and found it not to be a good viewing experience because I'm used to an 8-foot screen at home.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:44 pm

My wife couldn't even tell the difference between stretched NTSC and 720p. I was dumbfounded. Then hockey season rolled around and her beloved Red Wings were on in both formats, so when I switched the game to HD she went "oooooohhhhh.....". HD ever since. Hockey really sucks in low-def.

Me, if it's between a massive Baywatch wardrobe malfunction on in low-def and a blue baboon ass on in HD, I'll be watching the baboon. The real one.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:04 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
It's true in general though. I watched a movie in 1080P at a friend's house on his 40-something inch television and found it not to be a good viewing experience because I'm used to an 8-foot screen at home.

8)

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:07 pm

sluggo wrote:
Hockey really sucks in low-def.

I think the NHL really missed the boat in the USA with not being HD-ready early on. I'm only a casual fan, but I've heard for years that the games are great in person, but suck on TV because it's hard to follow the damn puck in SD. As soon as HD got decent consumer market acceptance, the NHL should have been there with mega HD cams at every game.

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I think the problem with hockey went beyond definition. The puck is small. You're right that made it easy to lose in SD. However, the puck also moves fast through most of the game. Early HD sets, LCD's in particular, tended to have lots of pixel and lag, so the puck almost disappeared. Combined with the fact that it often is obscured by a player or the near edge of the rink, and the game did not work on older tv's. I will say this, though: Sluggo's wife is right -- Go Wings!
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Cuhulin wrote:
I think the problem with hockey went beyond definition. The puck is small. You're right that made it easy to lose in SD. However, the puck also moves fast through most of the game. Early HD sets, LCD's in particular, tended to have lots of pixel and lag, so the puck almost disappeared. Combined with the fact that it often is obscured by a player or the near edge of the rink, and the game did not work on older tv's. I will say this, though: Sluggo's wife is right -- Go Wings!

That's why they had that experiment with the blue and red streaks. Great comedy material for Canadian outlets on how non-Canadians can't follow the puck/action. :lol:

What happened to that experiment?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.