Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

new samsung tablet - how to manage files...

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Hello Experts,

I recently (2 days ago) recieved a samsung galaxy tab 10.1 (16GB) from Telus as part of a promotion for bundled internet/TV services. It appears that the models provided by Telus might be gimped compared to the regular galaxy tab devices. I am completely unable to manually access the files on the device. I can see them when it is plugged into the PC, but I can't actually move files onto the tablet. At a basic level, what I want to do is move a large number of pdf files onto the tablet so that i can use it for a lot of my work reference materials (environmental reports, papers etc...).

I've read a couple articles online about changing the USB settings from MTP (syncing state), but I don't have any of those options (not even grayed out). I have an HTC amaze android phone (absolutely awesome phone BTW) and am familiar with mounting android devices as usb disk drive etc.

I've tried to install and work with the Samsung Kies sync software to access the tablet, but that software is an absolute piece of crap. It's hard to believe, but it doesn't have an option to sync (or even locate) files that are not video, music, or contacts(?). There is no way to search out pdf (or other 'non-media' files) with the Kies software, even if you wanted to use it.

So, I'm at a bit of a loss. How to move files onto the tablet? Would rooting the tablet help in some way? Are there easy ways to root this machine? I am unfamiliar with rooting, and don't really want to risk wrecking the tablet somehow.

thanks for any advice,

dave

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Re: new samsung tablet - how to manage files...

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Update: ok that was quick... I was looking at the Kies software and there is an option to *view in explorer*. Now I can move files, but only if Kies is running. My problem is partially solved and I can live with this if I have to.

However, I'm still curious about rooting. The tablet seems a bit 'slow' with juttering steps when you flick between 'windows'. Would rooting improve performance? Anyone have experience with these tablets?

looking forward to any comments.

dave

cfroese
Gerbil

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Have you tried using ES File Explorer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en) to pull files to the tablet rather than trying to push?

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 pm

I was just trying that out. It works, but it is so much easier to select and copy from the PC side.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Install the free File Expert and turn on Wifi Sharing mode. Then you can type the ip address of your phone into your browser and have a file manager interface.

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 am

I'll try that out later today. Sounds interesting.

Dave