Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Dede
Gerbil
Topic Author

Will any of these Dos' work in Windows ME?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:09 am

Hello!
Will either Dos 6.0, or 6.2, or 5.0 work in Windows ME?

I'd like to get either Dos 6.0 or 6.2 but if I can't, I'd settle for Dos 5.0.

If one of them works, where could I get it?

Thanks,
Dede

boing
Gerbil XP

Re: Will any of these Dos' work in Windows ME?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:41 am

May I ask what the purpose is? There is a free option available, FreeDOS which you can get from: www.freedos.org

Another option if its games you want to be able to run, is to use DOSBox: www.dosbox.com

srg86
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm afraid you've kinda got it the wrong way around. MS-DOS is an operating system in its self, in fact Windows ME runs on top of MS-DOS 8. If you're looking to build yourself an old machine for running old DOS software, I wouldn't recommend Windows ME any way, Windows 98SE (MS-DOS 7.1) would be better as you can dump down into DOS mode.

On the other hand, if you are building a dedicated DOS gaming machine, just put DOS 6.22 onto that. You should be able to get at least some kind of DOS from ebay.

Your mileage with FreeDOS may vary, I'm not really a fan of it. Otherwise as the other posters suggested, you could run the games in DOSBox.

srg
Intel Core i7 4790K, Z97, 16GB RAM, 128GB m4 SSD, 480GB M500 SSD, 500GB WD Vel, Intel HD4600, Corsair HX650, Fedora x64.
Thinkpad T460p, Intel Core i5 6440HQ, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel HD 530 IGP, Fedora x64, Win 10 x64.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Yeah, some idea of what you're actually trying to DO with this system would be helpful. We may be able to suggest a better way.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dede
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thanks fellas: my replys to you three, are below.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:10 pm

boing:

"Talks a mica!" (Note: My Swedish spelling is very bad as you can tell. I hope you can figure it out! )

Your help is great ! A very big thanks!

Sure,you may ask: I want one of the DOS I mentioned, to try and recover my unintentional deletion of Opera bookmarks when I reinstalled Opera 10.50 over the previous version. I forgot to set the bookmark aside.

I understand,from what I read, anyone of those versions work well in recovering deleted files.

Dede

srg86:

I learned some good things from you, thank you very much for your appreciated help!

As you know,by my questions, I am a novice gerbil.

Dede

just brew it!

I do appreciate your help very much, thanks!

As you may have noticed, my answer to your question is in my reply to boing.

Dede

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:13 pm

I've been lurking your threads for awhile now, and you seem to have a...strange attachment to Windows ME.

I am super curious as to why.

boing
Gerbil XP

Re: Thanks fellas: my replys to you three, are below.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Dede wrote:
boing:

"Talks a mica!" (Note: My Swedish spelling is very bad as you can tell. I hope you can figure it out! )
LOL it took me a while and I had to say it out loud to myself before understanding. You're welcome. :)

Though if you're trying to recover a deleted file, I believe your best bet is to try out Hiren's Boot CD. You download the iso file and burn it. Preferably on a whole different computer than the one you want to recover files off.

Then you put the CD into your computer and try out any or all of the free undelete tools available on that CD. You can download it legally from here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

if you don't know how to burn an iso file, try googleizing: how to burn an iso file

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Be aware the all modern software runs tons of background writes to HDD, so it's advisable to power down the PC as soon as you realize you deleted something important, maybe even hard shutdown, not the regular start->shutdown. Burn the recovery tools/browse the web from another PC to avoid overwriting critical data.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Madman wrote:
Be aware the all modern software runs tons of background writes to HDD, so it's advisable to power down the PC as soon as you realize you deleted something important, maybe even hard shutdown, not the regular start->shutdown. Burn the recovery tools/browse the web from another PC to avoid overwriting critical data.

And exactly what "modern" software would be running on WinME?

To Dede: If you're just looking for old DOS-style deleted files (first character changed to ~) DOS 6.22 is all you need.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:49 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Madman wrote:

And exactly what "modern" software would be running on WinME?

To Dede: If you're just looking for old DOS-style deleted files (first character changed to ~) DOS 6.22 is all you need.

But DOS <= 6.22 can't read the VFAT long file names in Win9x/ME, so really, good luck.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Thanks fellas: my replys to you three, are below.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:25 am

boing wrote:
Dede wrote:
boing:

LOL it took me a while and I had to say it out loud to myself before understanding. You're welcome. :)
LoL did the same here, phonetics works quite well once you actually just think what it says.

srg86
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 am

Flying Fox wrote:
But DOS <= 6.22 can't read the VFAT long file names in Win9x/ME, so really, good luck.

It's even worse than that, DOS 6.22 can't read FAT32 volumes at all, so the drive wouldn't be accessible to it (Assuming he's using FAT32, but this is Me so it should). Then there is the VFAT issues. Though DOS 6.22 does have an undelete, it won't be any use here.

If he was using something more modern, I'd recommend FreeUndelete from here: http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

but for Me hmmm There is this: http://www.scanwith.com/download/Undelete_Plus.htm but you may have to pay for the fill version. Other than that, I'm not sure.
Intel Core i7 4790K, Z97, 16GB RAM, 128GB m4 SSD, 480GB M500 SSD, 500GB WD Vel, Intel HD4600, Corsair HX650, Fedora x64.
Thinkpad T460p, Intel Core i5 6440HQ, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel HD 530 IGP, Fedora x64, Win 10 x64.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:29 am

Doesn't WinME have undelete already? If not, maybe try to snag a copy from Win98?

http://free-backup.info/using-the-undel ... 5-dos.html

I know ME's big thing was "no more DOS" but it's still around. Perhaps on bootup pop into DOS?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chdos.htm

I have a copy of ME but never used/installed it just on the general principle of it. So I don't know from firsthand experience.

Dede
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:08 pm

EsotericLord wrote:
I've been lurking your threads for awhile now, and you seem to have a...strange attachment to Windows ME.

I am super curious as to why.

Well, I want to build a PC and have not decided on what I want. I have not found the time to finish my selections and post it here to see what you folks think of it.

Dede

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

No, in DOS a deleted filename has its first character changed to lowercase sigma, σ, and IIRC the first entry for the file in FAT is nulled out.

Maybe FreeDOS has an undelete utility that can speak VFAT and FAT32.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

ShadowTiger
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:07 pm

FYI i am not 100% sure it will help you out in this case, but I will plug this one anyways. Everyone should have this on their HDD in my opinion.

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

Dede
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi folks,

I am terribly sorry I did not answer before now. I had trouble with my PC and when I got it going again, I had forgotten my questions! I just reviewed my notes and saw I had not answered you all.

Again. I am sorry for my forgetfulness!

I certainly appreciate your help!

Sincerely,
Dede