Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: The most amazing movie scene in film history

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 am

trackerben wrote:
The new Battleship has an amazing climax where the USS Missouri closely maneuvers and fights like a man 'o war from the age of fighting sail. After running flank to cross the enem y's T at the tip of the peninsula, the battlewagon drops anchor and spins her hull around to quickly slave the fixed guns broadside to the enemy for a crushing salvo. Really cool skillfest and even slightly believable tactics.

Umm, the Mighty Mo (BB-63) has no fixed guns, at least in the non-stupid-movie world.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:58 am

Captain Ned wrote:
trackerben wrote:
The new Battleship has an amazing climax where the USS Missouri closely maneuvers and fights like a man 'o war from the age of fighting sail. After running flank to cross the enem y's T at the tip of the peninsula, the battlewagon drops anchor and spins her hull around to quickly slave the fixed guns broadside to the enemy for a crushing salvo. Really cool skillfest and even slightly believable tactics.

Umm, the Mighty Mo (BB-63) has no fixed guns, at least in the non-stupid-movie world.

It's called artistic license. But clearly i agree with you that the scene is nothing but unplausible, just like the fact that a 21st century human warship could dent, let alone destroy, an intergalactic battle ship. But tastes are tastes if he likes it.....who am i to judge. It's a movie after all and i feel like i'm rooting for the bear, um i mean aliens, forgot on whose side i was.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:52 am

Given that this is about film history I though I throw a couple of oldies in here:

Battleship Potemkin the Odessa Steps scene. I'm cutting this quite a lot of slack given that it's A) a propaganda film and B) over 85 years old. However I understand many film buffs regard it as very influential and it was good enough to get recycled in various other movies including the Untouchables.

The Wages of Fear. I can't actually put my finger on a particular scene so maybe it doesn't deserver to be in here but it's a film that's stuck with me even though its been at least 20+ years since I last saw it. I suppose if I had to pick a single scene the one I remember best is where the hero slowly runs over his friend in a truck.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Vayate
Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 am

The fight scene in IP Man between Donny Yen and 10 other guys. One of the most visceral martial arts scenes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67JEGYJGRjw
i7 920 / ASUS P6T / 6GB Crucial DDR3/ XFX GTX 285 / Xonar D2X / Dell 2408WFP/ WD Caviar Black 1TB /Win 7 Home Premium 64

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 am

Arclight wrote:
It's called artistic license. But clearly i agree with you that the scene is nothing but unplausible, just like the fact that a 21st century human warship could dent, let alone destroy, an intergalactic battle ship.

In a deleted scene, Jeff Goldblum sneaks onboard the alien ship and uploads a virus with his Macbook.

trackerben

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:14 am

Captain Ned wrote:

That's right. But in this movie, the guns were deliberately traversed and locked off-target for a Hollywood reason. Apparently the aliens behave like power mad police but with a by-the-book mindset. Initially they would shoot back only when fired upon, and then only at the perpetrating earth ship, but when they do it's with annihilating political correctness. Their counter-attack would begin by auto-engaging first those earth weapons which deliberately aimed at them by design. Thus the hero played ROE games with the aliens until he got the BB's turrets "naturally" trained on target by pure seamanship.

Yes it all sounds unbelievable, but then so was USS Stark and INS Hanit and today's crazy circus with Somalia's pirates.

trackerben

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 am

Arclight wrote:
It's a movie after all and i feel like i'm rooting for the bear, um i mean aliens, forgot on whose side i was.

Is that the one where the Colonel asks, "..., how does it feel to betray your own race?"

I would not vote anything in that CGI-fest for this thread. The one scene that looked authentic was only so because it had the "hero" flying a dragon and looking for all the world like the ancient Astaroth, and that's just not ok-o.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:07 am

The gun/fights from Equilibrium.

Anarchist
Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:58 am

I can think of 2 ...

1) the LA fly-over scene in Blade Runner
2) azumi fighting entire village of gangsters in Azumi

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 pm

trackerben wrote:
aliens

Is this a Michael Bay movie or something?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

trackerben

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:36 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
trackerben wrote:
aliens

It's by James Cameron, and it's intense fun all the way.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

trackerben wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
trackerben wrote:
aliens

And from whom do you think Michael Bay learned his trade?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
trackerben wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Is this [aliens] a Michael Bay movie or something?

Yeah, it's a shame how much crap they're responsible for. It almost makes one think Hollywood should just get them together out in the Nevada desert somewhere and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Yeah, it's a shame how much crap they're responsible for. It almost makes one think Hollywood should just get them together out in the Nevada desert somewhere and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :wink:

And absolutely fitting. I think the background radiation at the Nevada Test Site is back down to ambient these days.

trackerben

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

You mean Bay learned things under Cameron? That would explain a lot.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 pm

clearly they both learned that when you're stuck for a plot after 3 minutes of hard work you just whip out your aliens and move on.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 pm

trackerben wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
You mean Bay learned things under Cameron? That would explain a lot.

Under? Probably not (never did the research). From? Without a freaking doubt.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm not a huge Cameron fan, but putting him in the same group as Bay is completely unfair. All of Cameron's movies are watchable and many are enjoyable and a few are good. A few of Bay's films are watchable, one or two are enjoyable, and none are good.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:50 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I'm not a huge Cameron fan, but putting him in the same group as Bay is completely unfair. All of Cameron's movies are watchable and many are enjoyable and a few are good. A few of Bay's films are watchable, one or two are enjoyable, and none are good.

You miss the progression, or digression. I'm not impugning Cameron. Instead, I'm calling Bay out for using Cameron's ideas and techniques to tell 1/4 the story Cameron did with 1/16th the skill.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Ever since Titanic, I can't abide Cameron. I don't know enough about it to know whether he was involved with the script, though I may have when it was first shown, and assume at his level he could have gotten the cheap smears/class warfare crap out of it if he had wanted. Instead, the heroism of some was not merely undermined by being left out, but they were besmirched as a group. Reprehensible. And I think he even went on television promoting the flick and pushing the fictional line, though my memory is sketchy about such a relatively minor matter at this point.

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:43 am

The scene that really struck me when I first saw it was the last bit of Dr. Strangelove, where Captain Kong (Slim Pickens) rides the nuke. I think I was just 13 at the time, and it was the first time I can remember seeing a movie without the happy ending. Very bleak and scary feeling back then, as the cold war was still being waged. I love the movie, but that scene still manages to give me the chills.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
clearly they both learned that when you're stuck for a plot after 3 minutes of hard work you just whip out your aliens, make liberal use of CG, and try to outdo your last film explosion.

Fixed. 8)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:54 am

Clearly. :lol: 8)

dpaus
Gerbil

Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 am

For sheer impact/sec, I'd nominate the assasination scene from the original "Day of the Jackal" - where he pulls the trigger, we hear the gun fire, and de Gaulle leans forward to kiss the soldier's cheeks, and we see the bullet stike the pavement where is head was. I remember the entire audience gasping

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 06, 2012 10:16 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 06, 2012 11:24 am

clone wrote:
their was a scene in the 2nd Matrix where Neo fights 1000 agent Smiths, while I thought little of Matrix 2 or 3 for that matter the scene started out so humbly with just 1 or 2 agent Smiths and kept building and building to almost a crescendo, I remember as it built up I just started to smile as it scaled up with more and more Agent Smiths.

That was where the 2nd Matrix movie really lost me. That fight just seemed silly to me. For example, the use of bowling pin sounds when he knocked a bunch of Smiths over seemed like something from 1960s Batman.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

clone
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 07, 2012 12:53 pm

neg

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 07, 2012 12:59 pm

The most amazing scene in movie history, IMO, was the diarrhea bathroom scene from Dumb & Dumber. :D
Change sucks

trackerben

Mon May 07, 2012 2:06 pm

clone wrote:
nothing personal TrackerBen but Battleship is garbage, that you mentioned tactics in the same context as a bag of popcorn like that kinda makes me weep a little for humanity, the comfort I take from the comment is in the knowledge that it won't be long until you realize what you said.

No problem. I never said Battleship was a great movie, only that the last scene amazingly saw a WWII battlewagon perform an 18th century maneuver in order to take advantage of the aliens' dumb rules of engaement.

Otherwise a realistic naval engagement would have seen missile and counter-missile warfare overseen and managed by naval AWACS,with manned squadrons playing chicken and decoy runs around the aliens' sensor horizon. It would have been Sea and airspace contest centered on carrier strike groups, with Aegis ships and attack subs dashing down approach channels swept by ASW and CAP, launching wave after massed wave of SLBMs and ALCMs and Harpoons distributed and timed to arrive from most points of the compass, perhaps with a few land-based ICBMs thrown in to stretch the aliens' defenses. But this would be boring cinematically.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 am

neg