dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Vrock wrote:I'm sure it was worth the effort. Now we can all rest in peace knowing this important mystery has finally been solved. :roll:

Understanding why physical phenomena occur is potentially useful. This also sounds like it was mostly a volunteer effort, so it's not like a ton of taxpayer dollars were spent on the analysis.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:How much should one be expected to pay, per foot, for gutters?

http://home.costhelper.com/gutters.html

At first glance, that site looks like a great place to start on things I don't know anything about. Thanks!
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vrock wrote:I'm sure it was worth the effort. Now we can all rest in peace knowing this important mystery has finally been solved. :roll:

Understanding why physical phenomena occur is potentially useful. This also sounds like it was mostly a volunteer effort, so it's not like a ton of taxpayer dollars were spent on the analysis.

Yep. Half of the reason to send stuff into space are the questions you didn't know when you set off.

Think about the different catagories of problems in any project:

Things you know you know
    Things you know you don't know
    Things you don't know you know
    Things you don't know you don't know

Half the reason huge space, military, and pure research projects are so valuable is solving problems under that last category.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9203822/Spitfires-buried-in-Burma-during-war-to-be-returned-to-UK.html

20 Battle of Britain vintage Spitfires found buried in Burma in their original shipping crates. Cleaning cosmoline out of a surplus gun is bad enough; I can only imagine what it takes to do same to a WWII fighter plane.

That was a good read.
Now if they get all 20 of them in flying shape there will be 50% more of them flyable worldwide.
The guy who spent 15 years trying to find them, now that's someone with a purpose.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:15 pm

**** stupid people piss me off. That is all.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:59 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
    Things you know you know
    Things you know you don't know
    Things you don't know you know
    Things you don't know you don't know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk
codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:02 am

So you go through life angry?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:36 am

paulWTAMU wrote:

Oftentimes, yes.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Vrock wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:

Oftentimes, yes.
For somebody with 4000+ posts, one would think that paulWTAMU would have caught on by now. ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:01 pm

yeah but I mostly stay out of R&P these days, and he's not that acerbic on the main forums.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:26 pm

hadn't realized how much my nightcaps were helping me sleep till I had to quit them :? Not a concern about alcohol, just a calorie thing (my weight loss stalled and that seemed a good few hundred calories to ax).

3-4 oz of whiskey or rum or tequila on the rocks every night was apparently really helping me sleep easier :X I know nightcaps in theory don't really do much for your sleep but jeez, I haven't gotten more than 5-6 hours, and it comes hard. This is 10 days in.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 am

Brutal.

I've been using my birthday present to myself to help me get tired enough to sleep well:
http://i.imgur.com/i0QGD.jpg
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

JBI, Ned, Funk, and other interested parties - The trivia contest that those pictures belonged to was this past weekend. This was my teams second year playing. We placed 14th of ~390 teams. For this being only our second year and with virtually no preparation, that is pretty cool.

http://90fmtrivia.org/ - Main Page
http://90fmtrivia.org/TriviaScores2012/trivia.html - Scores
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:43 am

What's worse than going to training for something you'll never use? Webinar training for something you'll never use.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 am

Dizik wrote:What's worse than going to training for something you'll never use? Webinar training for something you'll never use.

Welcome to the government world.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:58 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Dizik wrote:What's worse than going to training for something you'll never use? Webinar training for something you'll never use.

Welcome to the government world.
Pffft...I've been part of the government world for 11 years now.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Webinar and Webex...I hate those.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:52 pm

bathrooms were made for peeing.
train tracks are for trains.
Indiana man urinating on train track electrocuted

http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/04/24/281 ... train.html
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 pm

danny e. wrote:bathrooms were made for peeing.
train tracks are for trains.
Indiana man urinating on train track electrocuted

http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/04/24/281 ... train.html

Bah, he just stepped on the third rail or fell over it. Would have been a much better story if he actually peed on the third rail.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 am

Michael Bay should watch Transformers: Prime, and take notes how to make a Transformers film.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 am

Personell issues at work piss me off. People bring them to me because I'm senior, but I'm also not a manager and have 0 actual authority. It's getting very frustrating. I have some VERY limited authority over a few things, but I can't write someone up or issue a warning or tell them any behavior not directly relating to a call isn't acceptable. I am NOT the big boss, don't ask me to do things only the big boss can do. I'm not even chain of command!
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:Personell issues at work piss me off. People bring them to me because I'm senior, but I'm also not a manager and have 0 actual authority. It's getting very frustrating. I have some VERY limited authority over a few things, but I can't write someone up or issue a warning or tell them any behavior not directly relating to a call isn't acceptable. I am NOT the big boss, don't ask me to do things only the big boss can do. I'm not even chain of command!

On the plus side, people want to bring this information to you, which usually means you look and act trustworthy.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Yeah. But I have to talk with our boss and see about getting people clarified on chains of command and actual authority. I don't want people getting pissed because they think I'm not doing what I should or (in the case of my boss) they think I'm taking away from thier authority and competing with them for any power. My boss is pretty laid back but if I started chewing out coworkers without speaking to her first there'd be hell to pay (and rightly so).
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:Yeah. But I have to talk with our boss and see about getting people clarified on chains of command and actual authority. I don't want people getting pissed because they think I'm not doing what I should or (in the case of my boss) they think I'm taking away from thier authority and competing with them for any power. My boss is pretty laid back but if I started chewing out coworkers without speaking to her first there'd be hell to pay (and rightly so).

That's why there's always two chains of authority in any office situation. The formal pecking order and the behind-the-scenes moral authority. You've bubbled to the top of one of those without trying.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Well, I have a meeting after lunch with her to float some ideas that may resolve some of it in a fairly workable fashion. We'll hope it goes well.

There's only 7 of us, how much behind the scenes can there be? :lol:
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 pm

The true source of quantum mechanics:

Source: http://abstrusegoose.com/455
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 am

i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 am

Sleep Number beds.

Hellaciously over-priced, yet it's the first time I've woken up without back pain since the waterbed went bye-bye (wife was unable to sleep on the bubble).
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:34 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:hadn't realized how much my nightcaps were helping me sleep till I had to quit them :? Not a concern about alcohol, just a calorie thing (my weight loss stalled and that seemed a good few hundred calories to ax).

3-4 oz of whiskey or rum or tequila on the rocks every night was apparently really helping me sleep easier :X I know nightcaps in theory don't really do much for your sleep but jeez, I haven't gotten more than 5-6 hours, and it comes hard. This is 10 days in.

I hadn't been sleeping more than 4-5 hours a night for about 3 weeks. As a skinny guy (140 pounds) take this with a grain of salt, but I didn't start sleeping well until I started getting more exercise. Also, join fight club.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm lifting 3x week (dumbbells and kettlebells) and walking at least 2.25 miles/day 6 days a week (sometimes it's a hike in Palo Duro Canyon, sometimes it's just laps around a city park--I'm keeping it at 15.5 minutes/mile so I'm not running but I'm not lagging either on those). It's helped jump start my weight loss again though, which is nice. See if I can get this next 50 off.

I've also cut soda out after work--no caffine after 5pm :(
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch