Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Good 2.1 set?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Any suggestions? Probably looking to spending under $200.
Network theory sucks.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Good 2.1 set?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:08 pm

People here are fond of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set. I have them, as well as many others here, and they're great.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Deathright
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Looks pretty good, any personal experience with it?
Network theory sucks.

mongoosesRawesome
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:31 pm

A very good sounding set. I own the 4.1 set (now discontinued) and they were incredibly unreliable (the satellite speakers were fine, but the amplifier which controlled them wasn't - inside the subwoofer). They now function as a 2.1 set because the rear speaker amps died.

My main comment is that they are pricey and I expected them to not be so flaky for the money. For 150, I feel like there should be some other options out there that sound at least as good but are more reliable... however I've moved over to headphones mostly, so I don't have any other suggestions.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:34 pm

I've been using my ProMedias for about 6 years, they still work, I still enjoy the sound they produce (they produce excellent sound quality even without wasting $$$ on some dedicated sound card). If they'll ever stop working - I'll just try to buy the same set again.
Last edited by JohnC on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:38 pm

I've had mine for a little over 4 years I think. They're awesome. I've never had any issues with them.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:58 pm

My Harmon-Kardon Soundsticks II aren't bad, but they're pretty bass heavy. You can adjust that on the sub, but anything about the lowest setting gets boomy. I can't say I have them in a great setup though, as their location and input are both sub-optimal. I think they might be a bit more than the ProMedia set, but they also might be easier to find.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:26 pm

ProMedia 2.1s here, bought them about a year ago. Quite possibly the best set of 2.1 computer speakers at this size and pricepoint. Shelf price at Best Buy is about $155 but every now and then they go on sale for around $135.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:39 pm

I have the Bose 2.1 companion set - $180 and they sound great. You can crank the sub, they sound good and they can get somewhat loud.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

credible
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:44 pm

I took a chance on these for 100 bucks, they sound fantastic to my ears and a good price as well.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_535&item_id=030577

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:38 am

Try Acoustic Energy's Aego M. Though not sure how easily available they are in the US.
If we cannot be free, at least we can be cheap! FZ.

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:12 am

$200 for 2.1 computer speakers? Seems like overkill to me unless you have some very specific requirements.

Get yourself some of THESE and put the other $150 to better use.

havanu
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 am

JJCDAD wrote:
$200 for 2.1 computer speakers? Seems like overkill to me unless you have some very specific requirements.

Hahaha. 200$ seems like a good starting point, i'd say. You can buy a good pair of amplified monitors for that amount. Less bass-heavy, more midrange. Later on you can always add an amplified subwoofer and let your soundcard handle the signal output. (Depends on your soundcard outputs/drivers...)
Don't buy computer speakers. They're almost always unbalanced and overpriced.
I7-3770@4ghz, Asus P8H77-M, NVIDIA 980ti GTX, 16 gig DDR3-800 Kingston, 1x Samsung 840 EVO 512gb SSD, 2x 3000GB 7200rpm SATA WD Black, Lite-on Blu-ray 16x DVD+-RW, X-fi Titanium HD, Corsair 550D Obsidian.
Asus Zenbook UX302 with i5 and 256gb SSD.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:44 am

I have the ProMedia 4.1's that I got when they first came out, maybe six years ago, maybe more. My friend got the 2.1's, and they actually sound even better than the 4.1's. If you want to get the best computer speakers possible, the Klipsch 2.1'a should be on your short list. Anything better is going to cost much more in the home theater range. You can certainly do with less, too. Best way to decide is to go to a store and listen.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:10 am

JJCDAD wrote:

Either this is a joke, or you hate music.

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 am

havanu wrote:
JJCDAD wrote:

Hahaha. 200$ seems like a good starting point, i'd say. You can buy a good pair of amplified monitors for that amount. Less bass-heavy, more midrange. Later on you can always add an amplified subwoofer and let your soundcard handle the signal output. (Depends on your soundcard outputs/drivers...)
Don't buy computer speakers. They're almost always unbalanced and overpriced.

I agree with this.

If the OP's primary use for the speaker is near-field music listening, consider the Audioengine 2 speakers. They are fantastic once broken in, and after hearing them they are definitely on my list to replace my Klipsch 2.0's.

AntiSp4wn
Gerbil

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:00 am

Like others have said, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers are phenomenal. I've used them for a couple years and nothing else at that price point comes even close. I got mine off eBay, brand new, for $75 or something and they beat out speakers 2-3x times their cost. Total steal.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:40 am

Yeats wrote:
JJCDAD wrote:

Either this is a joke, or you hate music.

Yeah, you know you're buying some high-quality gear when the manufacturer's own spec page does not even list the -3dB frequency range or THD+N figures.

Had the FTC not shoveled fire and brimstone down the consumer electronics industry's collective pants a few years ago, these would also have a 300W P.M.P.O. rating to match.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 am

ludi wrote:
Yeah, you know you're buying some high-quality gear when the manufacturer's own spec page does not even list the -3dB frequency range or THD+N figures.

The product description that leads off with the sentence:
Cyber Acoustics wrote:
Bombastic and in your face, the CA-3602 is a 2.1 computer speaker system that brings your ears to submission with its thunderous bass performance.
does not exactly inspire confidence either! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BloodSoul
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:09 am

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is the way to go if you want a simple set up that is really powerful/clear.

If you are feeling adventurous, craigslist around and see if you can find anyone that is selling nice speakers for cheap since they are moving. I've come across a lot of steals doing this and it is quite fun.

I've also heard Logitechs z623's are worth mentioning.

r00t61
Gerbil

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 am

I've had my Promedia 2.1s since like 2003.

They still work okay, though the volume knob can be flaky at times, so I try not to touch it (I only use software volume controls; thanks to the improved sound model in Vista/7, I can finally adjust volume on a per-application basis).

I do have a pair of Sennheiser 600s that I also use when I'm really concentrating on listening to something. But truth be told, I avoid wearing the cans because they make me look like a space alien. For what I paid ($100) and for what they're supposed to do (casual listening, the odd game), the Promedias have done their job.

Now, I suppose if cost was not not an overriding concern, I'd get a proper receiver and some good bookshelf speakers. Even an inexpensive set of properly engineered bookshelf speakers will reveal any "Elite Haxor Computer Speaker 76.1 Super-Hyper-Mega Surround" bundles for the (relative) pieces of price-point junk that they are.

AbRASiON

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:11 am

r00t61 wrote:
Now, I suppose if cost was not not an overriding concern, I'd get a proper receiver and some good bookshelf speakers. Even an inexpensive set of properly engineered bookshelf speakers will reveal any "Elite Haxor Computer Speaker 76.1 Super-Hyper-Mega Surround" bundles for the (relative) pieces of price-point junk that they are.

Yep - see my post above, "computer speakers" really are ho hum at the very best.

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 am

The OP didn't list any requirements or intended uses for the speakers. So I posted some highly rated but cheap speakers.

How would you guys respond to a post that read "I need a computer. I want to spend $1000."?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am

I had Promedia 2.1s a few years back. They sounded very good (for PC speakers) but the quality wasn't great, which is why I no longer have them.

I since bought some M-Audio studio reference monitors and I will never go back. The balance is great, and unlike 2.1 systems, I never feel there's a muddy spot in the midrange when the satellites lack the punch but the woofer can't deliver enough accuracy.

They don't go as loud as the Klipsch so they can't be used as your sound system at a large house party, but they go loud enough to be antisocial to the neighbours (at which point I switch to some decent headphones anyway).
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 am

JJCDAD wrote:
The OP didn't list any requirements or intended uses for the speakers. So I posted some highly rated but cheap speakers.

How would you guys respond to a post that read "I need a computer. I want to spend $1000."?

I appreciate the sentiment, but computer speakers don't work that way -- in fact, they're Exhibit A for Sturgeon's Law. If the OP simply wanted to put noise into the room he would have bought something like the CyberAcoustics set already. The fact that he's willing to spend $200 indicates that he is willing to pay what it takes to not only put noise in the room, but do so with a certain amount of fidelity to the source material.

Chrispy_ wrote:
I since bought some M-Audio studio reference monitors and I will never go back. The balance is great, and unlike 2.1 systems, I never feel there's a muddy spot in the midrange when the satellites lack the punch but the woofer can't deliver enough accuracy.

The only M-Audio units in the OP's price range are the AV30s and the AV40s, which have a lower -3dB rolloff at 90Hz and 85Hz, respectively. If using either of those, you haven't eliminated the hole; you've simply shifted it down to the entire lower bass range. Tolerable for certain types of production work where it is critical to hear the entire midrange accurately, not necessarily tolerable for general listening. Even a relatively cheap 2.1 system will go down to at least 45Hz, the ProMedias are rated all the way down to 31Hz which is excellent for a subwoofer that size.

Deathright
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:10 am

Sorry guys for not being more specific in my inquiry. They are mainly going to be used for playing music and games. If I am going to use non-pc speakers what exactly will that entail? If I seem a bit dim it is because I am. I really have no idea when it comes to sound quality.
Last edited by Deathright on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Network theory sucks.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:56 am

Deathright wrote:
Sorry guys for not being more specific in my inquiry. They are mainly going to be used for playing music and games. If I am going to use non-pc speakers what exactly will that entail? If I seem a bit dim it is because I am. I really have no idea when it come to sound quality.

Even the "non-PC" speakers noted here have their own internal amplifiers, so there's no real difference from your PC's POV.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:38 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Deathright wrote:
Sorry guys for not being more specific in my inquiry. They are mainly going to be used for playing music and games. If I am going to use non-pc speakers what exactly will that entail? If I seem a bit dim it is because I am. I really have no idea when it come to sound quality.

Even the "non-PC" speakers noted here have their own internal amplifiers, so there's no real difference from your PC's POV.

And from a sound quality point of view, they're actually designed for listening to music. So if playing music is a major use of this system, getting non-PC speakers can make a lot of sense.

There used to be a problem with most non-PC speakers lacking the magnetic shielding to prevent them from messing up your display. But unless you're an "old school" die-hard CRT fan this is a non-issue today (LCDs aren't susceptible to magnetic interference).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 am

Ludi wrote:
The only M-Audio units in the OP's price range are the AV30s and the AV40s, which have a lower -3dB rolloff at 90Hz and 85Hz, respectively.

Ah fair enough. My Klipsh were about £200 and I found M-Audi BX5's were selling for £175 a few months back. Are the Klipsch overpriced here, or is the M-Audio overpriced in the US?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.