New TV What you think ?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

New TV What you think ?

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:50 am

Really thinking hard about this purchase.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889104194
Core I7 2600K @ 4.8 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 | WD Black 1 TB HDD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | Sapphire 4890 1 gig
tsoulier
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: New TV What you think ?

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:13 am

Before you buy any new television, give the folks at US Appliance a call at (877) 628-9913. They sold me a Sony XBR television at a terrific discount.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm not generally a fan of Phillips TVs. They use cheaper panels than Sony or Samsung so the colors aren't as accurate. If you're willing to step down to a smaller size, then you can get a better panel. At 55" everything is going to be very expensive.

In TVs, like everything else, you get what you pay for.
kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:52 pm

It's an LCD so no, wouldn't even consider it.
AbRASiON
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:28 pm

AbRASiON wrote:It's an LCD so no, wouldn't even consider it.

It's LED
Core I7 2600K @ 4.8 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 | WD Black 1 TB HDD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | Sapphire 4890 1 gig
tsoulier
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:10 am

It's an LCD panel with LED back-lighting.

Compared to older fluorescent back-lights, LEDs use significantly less power and take up less space, so your display can be thinner and run cooler. However, some LEDs have trouble with providing a full color spectrum. Advanced televisions with LED back-lights can use local dimming to increase contrast by allowing the dark areas of the image to be very dark.

There is a wide variation in image quality between different LCD televisions. You can see the difference between a cheap Vizio and a more expensive Samsung, Sony or Sharp from halfway across the Buy More.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:35 am

I'd suggest anyone looking for TVs to visit cNet and lookup the TV they're looking at and read a review. Read their breakdown of LCD backlighting technology and LCD vs Plasma. They have a lot of good resources there for HDTV purchases. They're covered in quite a bit of depth and cover a lot of models. They also have nice comparison charts for power usage and what not. It's one of the few things I refer people to cNet for. That and phone purchases.

Looking at US appliance their TV prices don't look all that different from other websites. I'd personally research online and buy from Bestbuy, Walmart, or Sams Club so it's easy to return if you aren't satisfied. Large purchases you are usually better off purchasing locally.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:00 am

tsoulier wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:It's an LCD so no, wouldn't even consider it.

It's LED

That's really the same thing, it's not plasma, it doesn't have phosphor inside it, it's going to have a harsh, grainy image and crappy blacks compared to a modern plasma - movement is meh and nope, no thank you.
AbRASiON
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 am

I also used to feel that a plasma was the only way, but having had both for a few years now, I think LCD (regardless of CCFL or LED backlighting) is miles better than plasma now.

The historic arguments are still true:
  • Plasma will have true blacks in a pitch-black room
  • Plasma has zero ghosting due to pixel response time
  • Plasma has no viewing-angle dependency.

But these days, LCD's are good enough that the following now apply:
  • LCD's are brighter for everyday lighting, and all but the budget models have very good black levels now, even in a (sensibly) dark room.
  • Most LCD's now operate at 100Hz or more, and blur is barely noticeable, especially when the best content still runs at 24 frames/second.
  • LDC viewing angles are generally very good up to at least 50-60 degrees either way. Even if a plasma picture is not angle-dependent, do you really want to watch your plasma from an extremely ridiculous angle?

In short, I am now of the opinion that any decent LCD will be better than a similarly priced plasma. At the super-budget end, all bets are off, but that's what you get in a race to the bottom.
In situations where plasmas are better than LCD's, they're competing with projectors.

Just my 2c.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 am

Chrispy_ wrote:I also used to feel that a plasma was the only way, but having had both for a few years now, I think LCD (regardless of CCFL or LED backlighting) is miles better than plasma now.

^That.

I just bought a new Samsung UN55D7000 to replace my 1080p G10 Panasonic Plasma. In my opinion, there is no comparison, the Samsung crushes the old Panny.

As for where to purchase it, I picked up my Samsung from Amazon Warehouse for $1,150 OTD (got a ridiculous deal on it due to Chase cash back, and an additional 10% off because they didn't include a power cord) - would've been ~$1,250 otherwise).

If you're open to considering refurb/open box stuff I would strongly suggest looking at Amazon Warehouse, SearsOutlet.com, and/or any local big box store's clearance section. They typically come with the manufacturer warranty, so you're usually only missing out on "brand new" packaging garbage. I know I've bought a few Samsung items Open Box/Refurb, and they've all registered for the full warranty online - I've even used a few of them with no problems.

My 2c.
Main: ASRock P67 Extreme4 | i5 2500K @4.2 | 16GB DDR3 1600 (4x4GB) | GTX 660 FTW Sig2 3GB | 500GB EVO SSD | TX650W | Win 7 Pro
Server: Intel BOXDH67CLB3 | G620 @2.6 | 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB) | IGP | 33TB | WHS 2011
HorseIicious
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 am

Bensam123 wrote: Looking at US appliance their TV prices don't look all that different from other websites. I'd personally research online and buy from Bestbuy, Walmart, or Sams Club so it's easy to return if you aren't satisfied. Large purchases you are usually better off purchasing locally.
They deliverd my TV in September for more than $1500 off the current listed price on the web-site. That's why I suggested that you make a phone call after you've selected the model that interests you.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware