Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Bent socket 2011 pins and CPU damage?

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 am

So much sociopathic fraud! I feel right at home!

Arclight - Please sell me something via the Bargain Basement. I'll pay via Paypal. After I receive the item, I will claim it was broken, then substitute a poorly remarked broken fake version. Then I'll dispute the charges via Paypal and get a refund. Finally, if you beg just so and pay shipping, I'll send you the broken remarked device.

It's TOTALLY fair, right?

I've taken things to a farther extreme to illustrate the point, but why in Gord's name would the mobo vendor be on the hook for pins YOU BENT? They are liable because the products they resell aren't invulnerable??
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 am

Forge wrote:
So much sociopathic fraud! I feel right at home!

Arclight - Please sell me something via the Bargain Basement. I'll pay via Paypal. After I receive the item, I will claim it was broken, then substitute a poorly remarked broken fake version. Then I'll dispute the charges via Paypal and get a refund. Finally, if you beg just so and pay shipping, I'll send you the broken remarked device.

It's TOTALLY fair, right?

I've taken things to a farther extreme to illustrate the point, but why in Gord's name would the mobo vendor be on the hook for pins YOU BENT? They are liable because the products they resell aren't invulnerable??

1. I got your extreme sistuation but it does not apply. I said it's stated in the warranty that the product, the package and accesories must be in good shape and vendible upon return. You said you would return me a fake, i never said that, you're misreading my posts. If you read my posts again you will see i said the product must be returned in good shape, with all accesories...bla bla bla. So your point is mute, i never said what you implied.

2. The vendor is liable for defects, period. Ofc that in the warranty and in the law that regulates it, there are stipulated general situations in which the warranty is void. For eg. if the product has been broken (physically), exposed to heat and melted, exposed to dust, electrostatic current etc. But i effing bet a million dollars it doesn't say motherboard bent pins. If upon visual inspection the retailer doesn't notice it, or if he does and can't prove i, the customer, caused it he is obligated to replace/repair it. It's not my fault if the law allows me to bend it to my will, matter of fact that's what all of us should do. I'm tired of being villified, i won't post anything else in this thread. I feel like i'm the only mofo that experienced the ugly part of reality.
Last edited by Arclight on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

thegtproject
Gerbil

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 am

Arclight wrote:
Is he an evil guy standing in a chair rubbing his cat and making plans for world domination?

I would prefer it. :) Hell, I'd like anyone better if this applied. MWAHAHHAHAAA
game: Win8,i7 3930k 6core,G.Skill 32 GB quad chan, GTX 680,raid0 Vertex 3 240 GB,2 bluray
game2: win7,q6600,4gb,MSI Frozr 7850
Web: Arch, Intel Atom D2700, 4 GB,60 gb SSD
Storage: Arch,ZFS, Pentium E5200 24 TB, 8 GB ram
VMhost: i5 2400, 16 GB ram, 14 vms

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 am

Arclight wrote:
Deanjo wrote:
Arclight wrote:
Wooowwwww

People get away with murder, other fraud institution of millions of dollars and none see a day in prison and you guys can't take advantage of warranty for something you paid. Am i being punked?

Warranties cover manufacturer defects, not defective morals. But way to go admitting you are a liar and sacrificing your integrity.

Somehow i doubt your actions belie your belifes. But as there is no evidence you can bring forth i can draw no conclusion.

Some of us are man enough to admit when we screwed up.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:19 am

If the pins on the socket are bent, it is not in resaleable condition (other than as an "as-is" item or scrap).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 am

Arclight wrote:
it's stated in the warranty that the product, the package and accesories must be in good shape and vandable upon return.

i never said that, you're misreading my posts. If you read my posts again you will see i said the product must be returned in good shape, with all accesories...bla bla bla.

It's not my fault if the law allows me to bend it to my will, matter of fact that's what all of us should do.

I think you prove my point for me. If you bent the pins, it WAS sellable, and now is not. That's pretty much the definition of damaged.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Double post
Last edited by cynan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Well, I was more or less up front with the retailer. They authorized the RMA, but then upon inspection, decided to decline it and are sending the motherboard back. I guess I can't really blame them, but it just means more $$ and time without a working motherboard. Anyway, I'll get out the magnifying glass and soldering tools and see what I can do myself when I get it back. I don't relish the thought of sending it out again to the manufacturer for repair. Even if they can fix it for a marginal fee, it could mean being without the computer for weeks. So it goes.

Welch wrote:
Odd, I've built/replaced about 4 Intel systems (1155 and 775) in the past month and never realized that bending the pins in the socket was that easy

BTW, socket 775 didn't have pins. They were on the CPU. This last Intel build I've done was a socket 775.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:29 pm

cynan wrote:
Well, I was more or less up front with the retailer. They authorized the RMA, but then upon inspection, decided to decline it and are sending the motherboard back. I guess I can't really blame them, but it just means more $$ and time without a working motherboard. Anyway, I'll get out the magnifying glass and soldering tools and see what I can do myself when I get it back. I don't relish the thought of sending it out again to the manufacturer for repair. Even if they can fix it for a marginal fee, it could mean being without the computer for weeks. So it goes.

Welch wrote:
Odd, I've built/replaced about 4 Intel systems (1155 and 775) in the past month and never realized that bending the pins in the socket was that easy

BTW, socket 775 didn't have pins. They were on the CPU. This last Intel build I've done was a socket 775.

Actually not. LGA775 was the first gen of LGA setups, with pins on the socket and lands on the CPU. It's worth noting that Intel still used pins on the CPU and hole-style sockets for mobile setups, at least through the Core 2 days. I have no idea if the mobile Core i357 setups are LGA or pinned, since all the ones I've seen up close had the CPU soldered directly to the mobo.

The last Intel CPUs with 'proper' pins on the CPU were the socket 478 guys, latter day P4s. I actually had a review setup from Intel due to some miscommunication for the first generation of LGA P4s, the Preshott debacle.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Woops. You're right. I could have sworn that last build I did had the pins on the CPU. I guess not. It must have been my lucky day is I got through that build bent-pin free.

I guess it serves me right to attempt to assemble a computer on April fools.

LafInBob
Gerbil

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:38 pm

P5-133XL wrote:
You are trying to rationalize your behavior which implies you know that it is wrong. The fact that you are lying to the retailer, also indicates you know that faking it is wrong. I am absolutely positive that if you were on the receiving end and someone else stuck you with this you'd be yelling bloody murder. So why are you arguing with me about the wrongness?

At what monetary point does wrongness no longer matter? Is a lie to save yourself $1 any different than a lie to save yourself $1000 or even a million? The fact that a retailer doesn't absorb the cost of a return doesn't matter for someone does be it the manufacturer or even another customer in a price increase.

I'm very pleased to see that you, JAE and JBI have the same beliefs and values that I was taught! I hope and believe that many of the other TR regulars (I don't come close to qualifying here) agree with the thought process that the 3 of you have outlined very nicely in this thread.
GA-EP45-UD3R, E8500, NZXT Tempest, MSI N260 OC (216 cores), Core Contact Freezer
Corsair HX520, 4GB Mushkin DDR2 800, WD AALS 640 GB, Vista Home Premium 64 bit

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 pm

To everyone reading this thread, Please note that ArcLight did not actually commit the potential fraud that we were discussing! At the worst, he merely encouraged and defended fraud while in the most optimistic view, this was just an abstract discussion on ethics.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 pm

An update if anyone cares:

Apparently the motherboard manufacturer's policy for a damaged/bent pin CPU socket is to replace the board for a flat $50 fee (plus shipping of course). This seems quite reasonable given I would be out about 5-6x that amount if forced to buy a new board. I wonder of all motherboard manufacturers have a similar policy? Probably better off paying this amount than trying to fix myself. Only problem is having to wait. Wait for the retailer to send my reject board back and then wait again for the service. At this rate I'll be lucky to have the computer up and running by summer.

I haven't been without a proper desktop PC at home for years; my old one was repurposed weeks ago now. What if I start going through withdrawals? :o Maybe this will teach me to be so hasty.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:03 pm

That's a very reasonable policy.

I did a very quick scan through this thread and I don't see where you ever said which vendor you'd bought from? Who is offering this $50 option?
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 pm

I bought the board from Newegg. The motherboard is an Asrock X79 Extreme6. This board seemed to be tops for value per dollar for X79 boards. Plus it reputedly OCs pretty well too.

Asrock is offering the $50 swap-out option. I still have to ship the old board back and warranty on the new board is only 90 days. But I still think it's reasonable considering the alternative.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
That's a very reasonable policy.

I did a very quick scan through this thread and I don't see where you ever said which vendor you'd bought from? Who is offering this $50 option?

Yup, honest and fair. You will find that most vendors will help you out even if it is (or potentially) your fault. It is when you try to screw the system that you will usually get shot down hard by a knowledgeable support/service rep. If you are honest, more times then not, a rep will go the extra mile just because of a persons honesty.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:04 pm

The plot thickens... Incrementally.

Got my unsuccessful RMA back from the Newegg. I spent an hour trying to re-align the socket pins back into their correct orientation. When I got everything aligned as best as I could (a couple of the pins looked a bit mangled, but they seemed to be in the correct orientation to make proper contact), I re-assembled and was able to get the motherboard to post. Huzzah! I was able to get into the bios and everything seemed to be working. I did get some weird video flickering for a while but this went away after re-seating the video card. The next thing I did was try to install DIMMs in all 4 memory channels. However, no matter which individual DIMMs/ram timings/voltage I tried, I could not get the motherboard to post with a DIMM in either of the the 4th channel's slots. While 3 memory channels is probably adequate, I didn't go the X79 route for nothing...

So, after contacting the motherboard manufacturer, I was informed that a damaged CPU socket might cause one of the memory channels to malfunction. I suppose that might make sense as the memmory controller is on the CPU. However, I've read a couple of forum posts where people with Asrock X79 boards have been having difficulty getting all channels to function - so I'm not so sure. Anyway, I've requested an RMA and will have to pay the service fee as I was up front about the potential socket damage.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the bent socket pins could have likely caused the malfunctioning memory channel?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:59 pm

For CPUs with on-die memory controllers, most of the pins that aren't power/ground are memory controller signals. So yeah, bent pins are quite likely to cause the RAM to malfunction.

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:07 pm

cynan wrote:
An update if anyone cares:

Apparently the motherboard manufacturer's policy for a damaged/bent pin CPU socket is to replace the board for a flat $50 fee (plus shipping of course). This seems quite reasonable given I would be out about 5-6x that amount if forced to buy a new board. I wonder of all motherboard manufacturers have a similar policy? Probably better off paying this amount than trying to fix myself. Only problem is having to wait. Wait for the retailer to send my reject board back and then wait again for the service. At this rate I'll be lucky to have the computer up and running by summer.

I haven't been without a proper desktop PC at home for years; my old one was repurposed weeks ago now. What if I start going through withdrawals? :o Maybe this will teach me to be so hasty.

I agree, that really is a pretty nice policy.

As for the wait, doesn't Asus have some sort of advance rma thing? I wonder if it that applies here?
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:17 pm

cynan wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the bent socket pins could have likely caused the malfunctioning memory channel?
Well, sure, if the pins aren't making contact with the lands on the CPU, you could easily have that problem. And if they're contacting a different one than they're supposed to, you run the risk of permanently damaging both the motherboard and the CPU. A few of the pins aren't connected, and some of the pins are just grounds which might not matter under all situations, but the signal and power pins are kind of important,

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Well at least it seems reasonable to assume your processor wasn't damaged throughout this affair, although i'm a bit surprised you risked putting it in there after you tweaked the bent pins - we're you more than a little concerned you would end up with an unusable motherboard and a fried processor? I would say it's time to send in the board, accept the $50 "penalty" and be thankful it isn't a $500 to $1k cost to replace the mobo and processor instead.
Hope your new board comes back problem free and you can get on with what seems like a nice build
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Its not really rocket science, there is little risk IMO to bending pens back. Unless you manage to bend them to the point that they touch multiple contacts on the CPU. In all honesty, you probably bent the majority of the pins back just fine and only that 4th channel was not making contact very well or at all. You could probably look up a "diagram" of the CPU to determine which contact is for what. Just like with the socket 775 chips, you could completely cover and bridge some contacts in order to force a higher memory clock. The information on what each contact does is available online, I'd imagine this should be nothing new for yours. You could then determine which contacts need to be working for the 4th memory channel and then double check the pin associated with it on the board.

However... if the board was damaged in the first place for that memory channel as your search for that board suggested, then your SOL and should just RMA it to ASRock.... An entire memory channel not working being a common issue!!? Exactly why I don't buy ASRock stuff, too many stories like that.

@TDIdriver - Its an ASRock mobo, not Asus :P
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I ended of sending it in to Asrock. My multimeter doesn't really have fine enough contacts to try and start testing circuit continuity between the CPU socket and DIMM slots. I'm not sure I could actually get at the traces anyway. All in all, I just didn't want to risk going further down the rabbit hole and risk damaging something further at this point. I realize I was taking a small risk as it was with the the 3930k. I was more than a bit concerned when I started getting the erratic video flickering (that went away)...

$50 dollars for a swap out to a new OEM board is a pretty nice policy. Although as I'm in Canada, by the time I pay for shipping to CA and the money order for the USD funds, it's more like $100. So it goes.

As far as Asrock quality is concerned, they've seemed to be stepping up their game in the past year or two. Specifically with their extensive X79 lineup. Their new X79 Extreme11 board pretty much puts to shame feature-wise anything offered by any other manufacturer at the moment, including ASUS, etc. I did read in a couple of the Asrock forums hosted on various tech sites that a few people were having issues with getting all of the memory channels to work with the particular Asrock model I have, but I have no idea if this is limited to Asrock boards, or is mostly attributable to user error, or is a representative sample of Asrock boards in general. Out of all the X79 boards at Newegg, the Asrock X79 extreme6 (the one I have) in both the sound card and sound card-free flavors seems to be of the more problem-free of X79 boards... But again, the representatitiveness of the sample is questionable.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 pm

cynan wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I ended of sending it in to Asrock. My multimeter doesn't really have fine enough contacts to try and start testing circuit continuity between the CPU socket and DIMM slots. I'm not sure I could actually get at the traces anyway.

Even if you could, that doesn't really tell you whether it would still make sufficient contact with the pads on the underside of the CPU. Furthermore, once you get up into the frequencies used in DDR3 memory interfaces simple DC continuity is only half of the story; the signal traces also need to maintain a constant AC impedance along their entire length, at the bus frequency. This is something a $50 multimeter just isn't going to tell you; equipment capable of analyzing this sort of thing can easily cost thousands of dollars.

cynan wrote:
As far as Asrock quality is concerned, they've seemed to be stepping up their game in the past year or two.

Good to know. I bought an Asrock board recently (haven't tried using it yet though), when I killed one of my trusty old Asus Socket AM2+ boards.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Got the replacement motherboard installed. Finally. However, now I'm still having a strange video issue that I noticed on the old motherboard as well (skip to last paragraph).

Installing Windows 7 on a pair of SSDs in RAID 0 on X79 was fun, but finally got it. (One of the issues was that X79 uses a different RAID utility - RSTe, instead of RST. Apparently RSTe has a bug: The utility would tell me that my max RAID 0 array size was smaller than it actually was. It took me a while to figure out that I could override this manually and set the array size to what it should be...)

I'm a bit disappointed that the Asrock board won't seem to handle anything faster than DDR-1600 with all 8 DIMM slots populated. I've been through all the bios settings, and adjusted VTT and VCCSA (voltages for memory controller) to no avail. It's not the ram; I can boot with only 1 DIMM in each channel no problem (4 DIMMS total) at DDR-2100 and others with the same ram have been having success with the X79 platform. I was hoping for DDR-1866. Oh well.

I'm still having a strange video flickering issue that I've never seen, nor heard of before. I will occasionally get mild to severe (so bad that I can't see what's on the screen) flickering when booting. This happens from post, while in UEFI bios, while Windows is starting. It does not always start at POST. Usually, it's when I'm browsing around in the bios, the display will just start to go crazy. The strange things is that as soon as the OS video driver loads, the problem seems to go away. I've yet to encounter this issue in Windows, either in 2D or 3D rendering mode. It's almost as if the video driver at the bios level is incompatible with my video card... But that doesn't make sense?

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Have you checked to see if there's a newer BIOS version than the one in your mobo?

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

The bios is the latest one offered (v1.2) However, the first board I had had an older bios version that did the same thing.

Do you think it is worth trying to RMA the video card? I am reluctant to do this as I've yet to have an issue with it once I get into Windows. The card is a Gigabyte HD 7970. I have an old HD 4850 lying around that does not seem to exhibit this issue when I swap it in.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:22 pm

It could be a weird incompatibility between the monitor and the video mode the BIOS is using... have another monitor you can try temporarily?

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It could be a weird incompatibility between the monitor and the video mode the BIOS is using... have another monitor you can try temporarily?

If if were a compatibility issue between the bios mode and the monitor, would the issue not occur with the HD 4850? I can't seem to get the flickering when I have the HD 4850 installed in the same slot, using the same DVI cable, same monitor.

I suppose its not a big deal, but it can sure make fine tuning bios settings a real pain. My concern is that it may be an indication that there is something wrong with the video card that may suddenly crop up elsewhere (ie in Windows). But I suppose I have a while on the warranty yet. Beyond that, it's just a really peculiar phenomenon that I've never encountered before and I'm curious to know what's going on.