Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vermont is a "control state" but it really isn't that bad. No Blue Law days/hours restrictions beyond no alcohol after midnight (if you need to make a beer or booze run after midnight, I impugn your planning skills) and stores are reasonably well-distributed both in geography and products. Groceries/C-stores/anyone else can sell beer & wine up to 16%; anything beyond that has to be purchased in a liquor store.

Given the prevalence of shift work (and flex time), hour restrictions have always seemed rather silly to me.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Given the prevalence of shift work (and flex time), hour restrictions have always seemed rather silly to me.

And they might be to some point but we don't have Sunday restrictions or 3.2% rules or anything like that. That said, the bar not 2 miles down the road from me is popular with the 3rd shift at the IBM plant 4 miles in the other direction. At 8AM it's packed and hopping, 7 days/week.

EDIT: Bars & liquor stores can sell at 8AM. Retailers can start at 6AM.

EDIT2: And yes, US liquor law has essentially been ossified since 15 December 1933.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:21 pm

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 am

Captain Ned wrote:
EDIT2: And yes, US liquor law has essentially been ossified since 15 December 1933.

Yeah, the only substantial changes that come to mind are legalization of homebrewing at the federal level back in the '70s (and at the state level in a few Bible Belt holdouts since then), and states raising their legal drinking age to 21 (which IIRC was indirectly driven by changes to federal highway funding rules, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

graphicslite
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 am

Just drinking water :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:26 am

just brew it! wrote:
and states raising their legal drinking age to 21 (which IIRC was indirectly driven by changes to federal highway funding rules, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

We can thank then-SecTrans Elizabeth Dole & the Reagan Administration for that one. Raise your drinking age to 21 by sometime in 1984 or lose 10% of your federal highway funding. The change wasn't exactly indirectly driven.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Ethyriel wrote:
I'm glad we don't have much to compete with here in Tucson, besides a rather young beer scene. Though my local brew pub is meeting a lot of resistance about expanding into neighboring pads in the location they operate their brewery. Some of that must be because they're bordering the UA campus, because a couple other brew pubs in town are much larger.

I went to Nimbus (both locations) last time I was out there. Seemed decent.

If you're out here again, make sure to get to 1702. It's my regular haunt, and the selection is amazing. Plus they're starting to have some of their own beers trickle out from time to time which have so far been excellent (a citra hopped IPA and an imperial porter with mescal so far). Nimbus is ok, but none of their beers are anything exceptional, and they don't seem very interested in pushing the envelope. Thunder Canyon is about the same, but they have some pretty good special editions. Barrio tries so hard to make everyone think they're a badass brewery, but then neuter everything to make it accessible.

We just had Borderlands open a few months ago, but they have some serious QC issues. Dragoon is a little brewery opened up by an ex-brewer from Nimbus who got sick of their crap, and wanted to make some adventurous beers. We should be seeing their first batches in a couple weeks, and most of us out here are really excited about that.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:32 pm

alternating between jack daniel's honey whiskey and rum and coke. Liqour store had bacardi for 10 bucsk a 5th on sale, and the JD honeyed stuff for 15 a fith. I'd gone to find stuff from the liqour under 30/bottel thread but didn't see much of what got reccome3nded. So I tried old hands :D at those prices, cheaps buzz
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:52 pm

graphicslite wrote:
Just drinking water :)

Welcome! Water can often be quite amazing. People who have natural sand-filtered springs and whatnot out in the sticks usually treat them as treasures.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Water is a backer. Or a chaser.

edit: 1/2 a bottle of whiskey down. 1/3 a bottle of rum mixed with coke. in between is a gallon or two of water. I'm stll feeling it pretty good. Very drunk, not going for a hike or road cruising tonight. But man it feels good. had bacon, whiskey, and listened to blues. then moved onto hair rock and rum& coke.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 pm

I had some Shenanigans and Ale Epeteois earlier on the way home from work. Now that I'm done moving all my furniture back after an A/C replacement and addition earlier in the week, and taking advantage of the moved furniture to tie all my cables, I think I need more beer. Good thing I have a Rare VOS in the fridge.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:42 am

Who would have thought that what you are drinking RIGHT NOW would lead you back to visiting the TR forums!!! I'm drinking Svedka vodka and Cran-Raspberry (Ocean Spray). About 10 drinks in, nice and strong :)!. Also listening to Glitch Mob - Animus Vox on Pandora! Have a kick ass weekend guys. Christ, my grammar Nazi is still active while I'm drinking, any instructions on how to turn it off :O?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Welch wrote:
Who would have thought that what you are drinking RIGHT NOW would lead you back to visiting the TR forums!!! I'm drinking Svedka vodka and Cran-Raspberry (Ocean Spray). About 10 drinks in, nice and strong :)!. Also listening to Glitch Mob - Animus Vox on Pandora! Have a kick ass weekend guys. Christ, my grammar Nazi is still active while I'm drinking, any instructions on how to turn it off :O?
Kudos on listening to the Glitch Mob. I only recently discovered them and have been listening to Drink the Sea like crazy.

I'm actually trying to not be a total fatty, so my in-take of soda has decreased drastically while my water in-take has inversely increased. Unfortunately that means that I'm currently drinking water at work. The water here isn't so good, despite going through a Brita filter. :-?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:10 pm

I've been working on a case of Sweetwater 420.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:32 pm

A bit of Laphroaig for lower back pain. It helped some.

Getting older is when your aches don't go away after a couple days. :(
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm just finishing the bitter dregs of a Sam Adams Coastal Wheat. Ick!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Flying Dog Garde Dog

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Oy, it's been awhile, but I need to escape the hell of this paper I didn't realize how much I screwed up until the last minute.

Right now I'm enjoying a bottle of Lumberyard Fireside Ale. It's no Firestone Walker anniversary ale, but it's close. Much better than the Great Divide 18th Anniversary I had last night, which was just poorly done. Recently I've also had Oomegang Art of Darkness which is absolutely amazing; Stillwater Existent which is almost as good and a very unique balance of toastiness, wild yeasts, and I think nugget hops; Mission Dark Seas which I really enjoyed, but not as much as Ale Epeteios; and Maui La Perouse White which is a surprisingly tasty white, one of my favorites in fact.

I've also had a couple brews from small local breweries, to varying success. The Oak Creek Citra Pale Ale was tasty and fresh, but was mildly infected. Dragoon's first two beers, an IPA and session ale were good enough to excite the hell out of me for our new brewery. But unfortunately, after hearing horrible things about the first few months of Borderlands, I finally tried one of their beers. Their vanilla porter was absolutely horrendous, tasting like nasty, medicinal vanilla extract without any beer flavors, much less porter, whatsoever.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Flying Dog Garde Dog

How would you say a biere de garde compares to a saison or Belgian pale strong? This is the first I've heard of the style.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:02 am

Ethyriel wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Flying Dog Garde Dog
How would you say a biere de garde compares to a saison or Belgian pale strong? This is the first I've heard of the style.

I'd say your procrastination is not healthy. Lets just say that based on my college experience, I know what I'm talking about.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:09 am

Captain Ned wrote:
I'd say your procrastination is not healthy. Lets just say that based on my college experience, I know what I'm talking about.

Well, I actually didn't procrastinate for once. I was about 80% done when I realized that I was totally untrue to the guy I was trying to defend, and was just regurgitating the same old misconceptions. In my defense, there are a ton of misconceptions on this topic. Luckily I was able to get an extension, so this Abacus might be in my immediate future.

Also, it took me a solid minute to realize you weren't talking about biere de garde, and I wasn't just entirely lost. My mind is officially fried. I think I do need that Abacus.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:03 am

Ethyriel wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Flying Dog Garde Dog

Well, they should be a bit darker, sweeter, and stronger than a Saison... they also tend to have toasty/caramel flavors that you wouldn't normally find in a Golden Strong, and aren't (usually) that strong.

That said, the Flying Dog really seems to be more of a Saison to me; I wonder if they really wanted to make a Saison but decided to call it a Bier de Garde just because they couldn't come up with a clever name involving dogs? :lol:

Here's what the Beer Judge Certification Program has to say about the style... (and Saison is right above it if you want to compare the descriptions).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 01, 2012 1:45 am

Man, that biere de garde sounds delicious, I'll have to seek a proper one out.

I had more La Perouse and Existent, and I also had a bottle of De Dolle Bos Keun tonight. That Bos Keun is awesome. It's a 10% pale that's brewed with cane sugar, and judging from the carbonation level and nature, it must use some champagne yeast. It almost tastes more like a desert wine, like a muscatel, than a beer, but you get some of golding hops coming through to remind you what you're drinking. Honestly, the review from Hustleworth says it all. That's a great great beer that just makes me wish I had some ham and placek to go with it, so it must have hit the Easter thing on the head.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 01, 2012 2:20 am

Mmm... De Dolle...

A few months ago I unearthed a few old (10+ years) bottles of De Dolle Stille Nacht in the back of a cabinet. They get drier and more tart with age, but don't seem to ever go bad AFAICT! :D

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 am

They just recently sold out of the Stille Nacht from this last Christmas, but for some reason I never did get a bottle. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Local, organic Syrah

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Glenfiddich.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

1313andrewx
Gerbil In Training

Fri May 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Tang Strawberry Flavor

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Hopworks IPA... woohoo!!