Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Seagate 1TB Platter Drives

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Wanted a second opinion from my fellow Gerbils...

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/P ... T1000DM003

For $100 bucks it sounds all grand... but according to the 1, 2 and 3 star reviews (taken with a grain of salt) it would almost seem that these drives are made a lot cheaper than the previous generation drives. Issues with PCB, SATA ports being flimsy, drive failing prematurely... Anyone had experiences with this or similar series drives? Also the warranty has been dropped to 1 year with these. I know that Seagate and WD both came out and said they were dropping their 5 year warranties to 2 years... but 1 year? Come on, have a little more faith in your own products than that!

Trying to find healthy mix of storage and performance for a customer who is all about her photos. 1TB would serve her very well, although something smaller in say the old 750gb range. I've had decent luck with the older style Seagate 1TB drives, which have come off as being very reliable, but the 2tb drives were horrible.

If this was you, would you give it a go? I've been happy with over 6 systems built on the F1A75-M boards that lots of customer reviews claimed were totally unstable. I'm starting to think that people are getting paid to flame other companies, that or morons who cause the issues don't realize that they are the problem :P.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Seagate 1TB Platter Drives

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Educate her on backup's if the pictures are so important.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Ahaha, they are important... enough that her laptop that recently died had a HDD failure and all of her pictures were lost. The drive wont even read from another system, throws 3 red flags on SMART. Short of sending it in for data recovery, she isn't getting those back.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Keep in mind too, that in regards to negative reviews, people who have a failure are generally more likely to make noise about it than people who receive a working part.

As far as backups go, cloud backup services are great for standalone users.

If Seagate doesn't have faith enough in the product to offer more than a 1 year warranty, would you have faith enough in it to sell to a client?

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Is this going to be a boot drive? Is there a 2nd drive in the system for backups? This seems like it would make a good primary drive and then get a backup drive that doesn't necessarily have to be any kind of fast, just large. I don't personally care about warranties, I just make sure to have a backup scheme in place.