Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Silvermist
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

disable client side rendering

Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 am

If I set up a print server workstation on a P-2-P network with several printers installed as "sharable", with Client-Side Rendering disabled, do I need to install "Additional drivers" for the various clients which might use the shared printers?

Do the client workstations need to know about a specific print driver?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: disable client side rendering

Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 am

I'm pretty sure you still need to make the appropriate printer drivers available to the workstations, whether CSR is enabled or not.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 03, 2012 2:19 pm

You only need to install additional drivers if you have other computers that are not on the same version of Windows or bit type. If you have XP, 2000, or 32-bit Vista/7 clients, you'll need drivers for them, and that is where you would install them.

You can disable client side rendering by turning it off in the drivers on the host workstation. The rest of the clients will pick up the setting when the printer is installed.

Silvermist
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2012 3:06 am

Thank you for your speedy responses. I am disappointed but not surprised that the Printer Driver situation is still a major muddle. It is just another of the "great Microsoft design scandals".

My clients, lawyers, are puzzled by the Printer data interface design (or lack of). They see that a file of any type can be transferred to a USB memory stick, a folder on a NAS device or a hard drive, from any manufacturer, using the built-in Microsoft software. So, why can't a document file - PDF, DOC, DOCX - be transferred to any printer whether it is connected on a USB port, on an LPT port or on a Netork.

What a shambles. I see that there is a slow emergance of a device called the "Cloud-ready printer"

Thank you again.