Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

My WASD Keyboard

Tue May 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Heya fellow mechanical keyboard aficionados :D. I recently got my WASD keyboard (cherry MX brown), it's working great, and I wanted to post a picture for anyone else interested. For those not aware, you can get away with pretty much any customization to the keys imaginable as well as your choice of cherry mx switch. I chose to be boring, and high contrast but...meh, I like it so to each his own (also, sticking with one color nets a slight discount).

Speaking of which, I wish prices were lower, but all the keyboards are assembled here in the USA (I think the keycaps are also) so that probably has something to do with it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: My WASD Keyboard

Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Looks pretty similar to the Rosewill RK-9000 series (except for your choice of keycap color).

I had never looked at their web site before; the degree of customization they allow is really cool! If I ever need to replace my Rosewill I will definitely keep them in mind.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Yeah, I've read the OEM for the internals is costar which, if I remember correctly, is what the Rosewill mechanicals use. At the very least, WASD keyboards use costar stabilizers. I've never had to repair one, but versus the regular cherry stabilizers the costar ones look a lot easier to replace. People say there's less of a squishy feel with the costar stabilizers as well.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed May 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard of them before this, and now I'm very tempted.
just brew it! wrote:
I had never looked at their web site before; the degree of customization they allow is really cool! If I ever need to replace my Rosewill I will definitely keep them in mind.
Yes, I wasted too much time last night fooling around with it. The customization interface is pretty clunky, even by web app standards, but for a keyboard geek the end result is pretty addictive.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed May 02, 2012 2:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Looks pretty similar to the Rosewill RK-9000 series (except for your choice of keycap color).

Is the connector similar to the old or the new cheaped out Rosewill?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed May 02, 2012 3:01 pm

Looks like the old/good non-removable style.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed May 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Love my Model M. Stands the test of time and the keys are all legible.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Ryhadar wrote:
Yeah, I've read the OEM for the internals is costar which, if I remember correctly, is what the Rosewill mechanicals use. At the very least, WASD keyboards use costar stabilizers. I've never had to repair one, but versus the regular cherry stabilizers the costar ones look a lot easier to replace. People say there's less of a squishy feel with the costar stabilizers as well.

iirc, WASD's current line are rebranded US versions of the Costar Sydney and the Rosewills are rebranded Filco Majestouch units.

Did you get any of their o-ring dampener doodads?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Jambe wrote:
iirc, WASD's current line are rebranded US versions of the Costar Sydney and the Rosewills are rebranded Filco Majestouch units.

Do you know if the new and (not) improved Rosewill mirrors a change in the Filco design, or is it something Rosewill went and did on their own? I wish I'd looked more closely at the PCB to see if there was a Filco logo when I had it opened up the other night...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 03, 2012 2:23 pm

I've really enjoyed my Unicomp keyboard, which is basically a Model M, which Unicomp bought the rights from IBM. I have the USB version. :) I've even spilled soda on it, and the drain holes in the bottom did what they were designed for. It's also heavy, so I can use it as a weapon. :)
Change sucks

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Jambe wrote:
Ryhadar wrote:

Did you get any of their o-ring dampener doodads?

Nah, I didn't get the o-ring dampeners although I try not to bottom out so it probably wouldn't make much different for me. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Filco used costar as their OEM?

Also, I'm really liking browns and I'm also really starting to get annoyed by blues. Which is bad because my CM quickfire rapid has cherry mx blue keys. I'm gonna give it another month to see if the "wow" factor doesn't start to wear off on the browns like the did the blues.
Last edited by Ryhadar on Thu May 03, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2012 2:57 pm

ordskiweicz wrote:
Love my Model M. Stands the test of time and the keys are all legible.

My WASD keyboard should be similar in that regard. All the keys are laser etched, so there's no ink or dye that will rub off.

It's also the other reason I got the white keys. I think black + laser etched makes the writing on the keys look very dirty/ugly. Trouble is, it'll be pretty easy to tell when my white keys are actually dirty. :lol:

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 03, 2012 6:27 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Do you know if the new and (not) improved Rosewill mirrors a change in the Filco design, or is it something Rosewill went and did on their own? I wish I'd looked more closely at the PCB to see if there was a Filco logo when I had it opened up the other night...

I have no idea but if I had to guess I'd say the new configurations are Rosewill-specific mods to Costar reference units because those industry-centric OEMs tend to make pretty robust/non-frilly products...

Ryhadar wrote:
Nah, I didn't get the o-ring dampeners although I try not to bottom out so it probably wouldn't make much different for me. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Filco used costar as their OEM?

I believe Filco does use Costar, although I have no idea how it's set up (whether they get their designs produced or whether they use Costar references). There's a forum (geekhack) dedicated to keyboards with a lot of info and several active company reps.