Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

What I would like to see in a Linux distro

Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Ok, I'm not a programmer, but if I ever learn programming, I'll work on this, but I wouldn't be able to do it alone. What I would like to see in a Linux distro, is more of a build-your-own kit, not as complicated as doing Linux from Scratch.

You start with a network installation disk. And begin to choose things from the ground up. Choose what kind of kernel you want, click next. Choose what kind of file system you want to use and click next. Choose the sound system you want to use in your custom build(Alsa, PulseAudio(PA pisses me off), OSS, Jack, etc...) click next. Choose your desktop(Unity pisses me off), click next. Choose your security method(SELinux, AppArmor) click next. Choose a whole bunch of other thing, and when your done, it downloads all of the sources from the respositories, compiles everything from source, installs it on your system, reboot, and you have one helluva custom distro. :) I don't know if this is possible, and updates would be a pain in the butt, but if this were possible, I would like to see it.
Change sucks

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: What I would like to see in a Linux distro

Fri May 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Sounds to me like you want Gentoo or Arch.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2012 8:00 pm

I'll give arch a try. I tried Gentoo a few years ago, and tried to build something from the ground up with a very basic Gentoo install, but it was too complicated.
Change sucks

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri May 04, 2012 9:45 pm

It's also not too difficult to start from a base Debian (or Ubuntu Server) install, and add the packages you want ala carte.

I suspect playing mix-n-match with the audio stack will be somewhat problematic regardless of whether you use a repository or compile from source.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegtproject
Gerbil

Fri May 04, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm hoping I am reading between the lines well enough to assume you don't mean to have a GUI with little option boxes to do all the work for you....

Otherwise, what you've just described is Arch linux.

The best definition of Arch Linux: "Linux with a nice package manager" - You make it act like and do what you want.

Want a nice and easy desktop?

// after base and minimal install...
# pacman -Syu xorg-server xorg-xinit xf86-video-nvidia(or ati) svga-dri xf86-video-vesa
# pacman -Syu xfce4 gamin

Modify two files:

[b]/etc/rc.conf[/b]
daemons=(... dbus ...)

[b]/etc/skel/.xinitrc[/b]
add exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

Create a user account and set password:

# useradd b00bmaster
# passwd b00bmaster

Log out of root and log in with b00bmaster. Tada, nice minimal desktop!

Want a web browser?

$ su -
(enter root pw)
# pacman -Syu chromium
or
# pacman -Syu firefox
or
# pacman -Syu opera

Want a nice simple X text editor?

# pacman -Syu leafpad

This was all from memory so just ask if something isn't working, but I believe this is perfect. Easy peasy.

I use nothing but Arch.
game: Win8,i7 3930k 6core,G.Skill 32 GB quad chan, GTX 680,raid0 Vertex 3 240 GB,2 bluray
game2: win7,q6600,4gb,MSI Frozr 7850
Web: Arch, Intel Atom D2700, 4 GB,60 gb SSD
Storage: Arch,ZFS, Pentium E5200 24 TB, 8 GB ram
VMhost: i5 2400, 16 GB ram, 14 vms

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 04, 2012 11:00 pm

As others have said, Arch. Grab Virtualbox and start here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 04, 2012 11:35 pm

thegtproject wrote:
I'm hoping I am reading between the lines well enough to assume you don't mean to have a GUI with little option boxes to do all the work for you....

Otherwise, what you've just described is Arch linux.

The best definition of Arch Linux: "Linux with a nice package manager" - You make it act like and do what you want.

Want a nice and easy desktop?

// after base and minimal install...
# pacman -Syu xorg-server xorg-xinit xf86-video-nvidia(or ati) svga-dri xf86-video-vesa
# pacman -Syu xfce4 gamin

Modify two files:

[b]/etc/rc.conf[/b]
daemons=(... dbus ...)

[b]/etc/skel/.xinitrc[/b]
add exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

Create a user account and set password:

# useradd b00bmaster
# passwd b00bmaster

Log out of root and log in with b00bmaster. Tada, nice minimal desktop!

Want a web browser?

$ su -
(enter root pw)
# pacman -Syu chromium
or
# pacman -Syu firefox
or
# pacman -Syu opera

Want a nice simple X text editor?

# pacman -Syu leafpad

This was all from memory so just ask if something isn't working, but I believe this is perfect. Easy peasy.

I use nothing but Arch.

Whuu ugly stuff. Whatever happened to user hostile? Oh well so it goes.

I'm old so this my way of shouting 'GET OFF MY LAWN". Slackware is just what you need OP.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

The Wanderer
Gerbil

Sat May 05, 2012 9:58 am

Actually, this sounds like it should be doable with only relatively straightforward changes from the current Debian installer.

In the current installer, you can't choose the "type of kernel" you want directly, but you can choose among Linux, FreeBSD, and Hurd by choosing different installer ISOs. Potentially it might be possible to integrate all three into one CD or DVD, but you'd still probably have to choose one at the boot menu before launching the actual intaller.

You can already choose what filesystem you want, at least in "manual partitioning" mode (where you can also partition up the available space in any convoluted way you may want, although last I checked there was no way to tell it which physical disk to install GRUB to).

You can't choose your desired sound system directly during the install, but in theory it shouldn't be too hard to make that possible, and it's not difficult to switch among them after installing a bare-bones system - not if you know how to set them up in the first place, at least. (Which I don't in some cases. This is definitely one feature which would be nice, if only for getting a correctly-configured base installation of the desired sound system.)

You can't choose your desired desktop environment directly during the install, but you can choose whether or not to install a graphical environment at all; it shouldn't be too difficult to add another sub-menu to allow selection of window manager. Even now, if you install only the most basic bare-bones system, it won't install *any* window manager by default; after the install, if you install X and your desired window manager by hand, the end result is about the same as if it had been installed that way to start out with. (Though it's still annoying to have to take the extra steps. This is another feature which I agree would be nice to have.)

I've never used any of the various system-hardening approaches such as you name, but from what I understand of how getting them set up works, I see no reason it shouldn't be possible to add a selection option for that as well.

I actually like this idea. It would probably be worth submitting a suggestion for this degree of install-time customizability to the Debian Installer team... I may even look into learning enough of the Debian Installer infrastructure to be able to set it up myself.
Core i7 990X 3.47GHz | 24GB RAM | 512GB SSD (256GB RAID-1) + 8TB (6TB RAID-5) | Radeon HD 6870 | Dell 3008WFP | Obsidian 800D

moresmarterthanspock
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat May 05, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm now calling it a night. I have a couple fistfulls of hair and will probably settle for a handicapped linux like Mint 12. I know the in's and out's of DOS very well. But I grew up on that, and Linux is whole different animal. Oh well. :-?
Change sucks