Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

ufmace
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Which HTPC-level cards can do custom resolutions?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:15 pm

I am trying to set up my main PC with a connection to my HDTV over HDMI. The trouble is that when I let the connection go to the full 1900x1080, the edges of the desktop are off the edge of the screen. I am using the integrated Radeon HD 3200 graphics with my motherboard, and have been happy with it so far, but the Catalyst control software doesn't have any options for fixing this.

I also have a laptop from work with a NVidia graphics chipset and a HDMI output, and when I connect this HDTV, there is a setting for creating a custom resolution, and it works great when I set that to 1824x1014.

I am looking to put a video card in this system, partly because I want to run multiple monitors (in addition to this HDTV) and the integrated output only supports one digital output, and I'd like to find one where I can set a custom resolution for this display so that it looks right. The Radeon 5450 looks like about what I want, but I can't figure out if the control software supports custom resolutions. Can anyone tell me if AMD chipsets/software or this specific card can do this, or do I need to get a NVidia card for it to work right? I also want capability to output on the DVI and HDMI ports at the same time, but that seems to be pretty standard. Thanks,

XorCist
Gerbil First Class

Re: Which HTPC-level cards can do custom resolutions?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:20 pm

heres how to fix the edges
open CCC.
click on Desktops and Displays
click My Digital Flat Panels
Click Scaling Options
adjust Overscan, underscan to make it fit
ta-da!

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:45 pm

yup, and I wouldn't recommend a 5450. Spend another $10 and get twice the SP's with a 6450. You can even get passively cooled ones if noise is an issue.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:54 pm

The TV may also have overscan options that help with the situation.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

ufmace
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 10:19 pm

I just spent about half an hour messing with the settings, and I couldn't get it to work. I couldn't find xorcist's options in CCC; I did find some other options for setting custom resolution, but i couldn't get it to apply them. In HDTV Support, I can set a custom HDTV format with the right resolution, but when I go to desktop properties and try to apply it, nothing happens, it just goes back to standard 1080. There aren't any options on the tv to fix it either - it's in wide mode now, but setting normal mode just makes the cut off display take up less of the screen. Guess I'll have to just buy a card and return it if it doesn't work.

Don't know what I'd do with twice the SPs, but I'd pay a little more to replace the vga with another DVI or HDMI.

XorCist
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 pm

weird that u dont have the options...did u update the CCC to the newest version? i know some of the old versions didnt have it

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 08, 2012 12:01 am

Overscan and underscan should be available in every CCC. If you're using the newest version it should be found under My Digital Flat-Panels (if you're using some form of digital). In the Scaling options.

If you're doing the custom format you have to select your monitor from the drop down menu, then select a standard resolution, after click add and adjust the box, then click apply to finalize the resolution. The new custom resolution should appear in the box right next to the buttons.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue May 08, 2012 5:27 am

When you first open up CCC, do you have it set for Advanced View? There's a "Preferences" button on the top right of the window.

On the left side, the 7th button down is "My Digital Flat-Panels". Select one of the HDTV resolutions that most closely matches your TV's capability and add it. Once you've applied that resolution, you will be asked to drag the borders of the box to adjust the overscan. It's just that simple.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 08, 2012 7:37 am

Just a tip: The overscan options in the CCC occasionally won't persist through a system boot. It's a bug that crops up in certain versions of the CCC. I don't know if they've fixed it since the last time I encountered it, but the drivers from December of 2011 do not have this bug.

So... if the latest drivers won't persist overscan settings through a system reboot, try installing drivers from the archives.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

ufmace
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Well that's odd... Thinking to try something else, I physically disconnected the normal monitor and then turned on the HDTV, and suddenly, when the screen appeared, the display was smaller than the screen. I now found the Scaling Options in CCC under My Digital Flat Panels, which I swear was not there at all before, and was able to adjust it to fit about right. Adjusting it back to normal when the normal monitor was on wasn't any trouble either. Looks like it works well enough now, though it kind of bothers me that I have no idea what caused the Scaling Options control to be present or absent in CCC - hopefully, it won't decide to disappear again. Incidentally, CCC has been in advanced mode the whole time, and the software update option says that no updates are available.