Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Clevo W110ER / Sager NP6110 Tempting 11.6" Laptop

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:35 am

This thing looks pretty sweet. Major shortcomings are the screen (though at least a matte version is coming soon) and that the keyboard isn't backlit. It might not be as small as an ultrabook or a future Trinity equivalent but its got quite a bit of horse power in that small of a chassis. As of the 28th you're supposed to be able to order it with a 35w Ivy Bridge Quad core and when the dual core Sandy Bridge models ship on the 22nd they will all have GT650Ms in them which is super nice.

I don't know, I was all but sold on waiting for a tiny Trinity based system but I'm sure the one will have more kick and that might be worth the sacrifice... Also the price is nice, $800 for the stock configuration which I wouldn't change one bit. Of course that's with no OS but that's fine with me. Would love to get it w/o a hard drive and save another $50 as well... I'm sure the quad core Ivy will take it up to $1100 or so but the dual core Ivy's coming later might drop it a bit.

I don't know, its super tempting and looks to be easily upgradeable as well (which I appreciate about my current laptop)... I just wish the keyboard was backlit... What do you think???

Edit: Oh yeah, important thread with info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-c ... ounge.html

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Clevo W110ER / Sager NP6110 Tempting 11.6" Laptop

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:52 am

4lbs, 1.46" at its thickest? And 1366*768?

This may be a great computer for someone, maybe, but definitely not for me.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:38 pm

I am ALMOST that person. That's quite a bit of power for the size so I'm willing to make some allowances for weight and thickness. I'm sure my current 12.1" laptop is thicker and heavier...

...but I do wish it was a little more portable, that the keyboard was backlit, and that the screen was at least 1440x900... *sigh*

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Thinness is overrated, and for the power you get, 4lbs isn't bad. If I were in the market for a portable gaming machine (which really, that's quite a niche you got going there) then this is the best - possibly only - choice.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Well Dell killed the m11x so it pretty much is the only choice at that size... I like that this one appears to be a little more subdued anyway... But its not just gaming, I haven't seen anything else at 11.6" that could pack a quad - of course that particular Ivy based chip is set to change just that... As far as games go, I just want the option - and if this thing is 2-3x Trinity's performance I could see myself splurging on it...

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Tempting laptop! I've been waiting for such a configuration to arrive. The Alienware m11x is a great concept in my opinion (if not perfect execution), I'm said to hear they've killed it. Kepler and Ivy Bridge make the form factor and comfortable gaming a reality. The GT 650M is a fast mobile card, especially at just 1366x768. The concern over the low resolution is valid though. Personally I'm not concerned with the 4lbs of 1.46" at its thickest. My HP dm1 is 3.6lbs and considerably slower, 4lbs is at the upper end of my range but this laptop can actually play games, at high settings, with a consistent frame rate.

Yep I'm afraid I've a bit smitten too, drfish. I'm in no hurry to replace my dm1, it's practical. Trinity will be more my budget but I have my concerns there.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:34 pm

drfish wrote:
This thing looks pretty sweet. Major shortcomings are the screen (though at least a matte version is coming soon) and that the keyboard isn't backlit. It might not be as small as an ultrabook or a future Trinity equivalent but its got quite a bit of horse power in that small of a chassis. As of the 28th you're supposed to be able to order it with a 35w Ivy Bridge Quad core and when the dual core Sandy Bridge models ship on the 22nd they will all have GT650Ms in them which is super nice.

I don't know, I was all but sold on waiting for a tiny Trinity based system but I'm sure the one will have more kick and that might be worth the sacrifice... Also the price is nice, $800 for the stock configuration which I wouldn't change one bit. Of course that's with no OS but that's fine with me. Would love to get it w/o a hard drive and save another $50 as well... I'm sure the quad core Ivy will take it up to $1100 or so but the dual core Ivy's coming later might drop it a bit.

I don't know, its super tempting and looks to be easily upgradeable as well (which I appreciate about my current laptop)... I just wish the keyboard was backlit... What do you think???

Edit: Oh yeah, important thread with info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-c ... ounge.html

Specs look interesting, and Sager/Clevo usually make a high quality, well-designed products - I've purchased some of their models in the past - not for myself, though... As you've said, the lack of keyboard backlighting is kinda disappointing, but not really a major thing if you use such things in a well-lit environment. I'd like to see more photos of this model, though it looks like they aren't yet available...

drfish wrote:
Well Dell killed the m11x

Glad to see it being discontinued. The concept was good, but the execution was pretty bad - typical Alienware product. "Overclock" option in BIOS that didn't work for many people (I was one of them), very poor display's hinges quality which caused them to crack very easily, not-so-good display build quality (I've seen too much backlight "bleeding" on the unit I've purchased, same goes for replacement unit) and so on (plenty of threads about such stuff in NotebookReview forums).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:37 am

Ok, this is cool. These guys have it for $499 as a barebone system. That rocks! :D

I'm going to price out the parts I want to add myself and see how things compare.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:15 am

Ordered! I got it from RJTech the barebones place. I sprung for the 3610QM since I didn't want to wait for the 3612QM and it would cost more anyway. I can deal with 10 extra watts and it is faster at least. I went for the IC Diamond thermal compound so maybe that will help temps enough to be more like a 35w and I had them put a Killer-N 1103 in it too... Separately I also ordered a Samsung 830 128GB and 8GB of 1600mhz memory (1.35v instead of 1.5v, also to fight the 10 watts). If I have to have a matte screen I can replace it later. Can't wait! :D

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Looking forward to hearing your impressions drfish, keep us updated!

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:04 pm

i like how the i5-2520m is a duad core on rjtech's site for the clevo
the configurations seem nice, just too bad the screen couldn't get a little more res
probably drinking some tea.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2012 7:14 am

FYI I'm looking at a delivery date of 5/8 and I'm sure I'll assemble it that night if everything else has arrived. I've got the SSD and the memory is in Grand Rapids so I should have it today or tomorrow. I ended up having to order a Killer-N 1102 because the 1103 needs three antennae connections and the laptop only offers two, its shipping today.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 03, 2012 8:01 am

I'd love to see a mini-review when it arrives!
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 03, 2012 9:09 am

This could be a great laptop, and I hope I'm proven wrong, but after using an X220 with an IPS screen for so long, I don't think I could handle another crappy TN panel.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Got it! Love it! More to follow! :D

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue May 08, 2012 7:06 pm

That looks awesome. I'd really like to see a 'more' customizable unit in the 15-16" range; but I want resolution and a numpad :).

For those complaining about the screen, my only complaint would be the lack of an IPS option- at 11.6" and laptop viewing distances, I think that 1366x768 is ideal.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue May 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Wow- they have a GTX670 kit ready to go. I'm getting one, my current laptop will be up for sale soon!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2012 6:58 am

Time to write a few more quick impressions. BTW, "quick" is the perfect word because this little guy is an absolute speed demon! :o There's so much power packed into it that its hard to believe. I recently bought a 17" Elitebook 8760w to replace an aging workstation in the office and my new toy basically bests it in every regard, its insane. I don't plan to post a bunch of benchmarks or anything, I'll leave that to the professional reviewers but I will share the stuff that has me the most excited/appreciative.

1) Its fast! This is not the greatest measure of performance but besides doing everything you'd expect it to do very quickly is can actually run Minecraft with the unbelievable shaders mod at 30+ FPS. The 5870 Toxic in my desktop can't do that at 1680x1050. I had Steam download a number of games last night and will report back later on how they play.
2) The texture of the whole thing is a nice change. Its rubberized and grippy, there will be no fingerprints to be found on it including the bezel (though it is not rubberized).
3) Its so small! Surprisingly smaller than the 12.1" laptop its replacing, more than just the .5" of the screen. I've messed with netbooks in the past and haven't been impressed. This thing is netbook size but could easily be a desktop replacement. I can't get over that. I'm using it with this case and its a perfect fit. I can stash the MASSIVE power supply (will add picture later) in there as well as my trusty Logitech M570 (which matches the color of the laptop nearly perfectly BTW) in it with a pocket to spare.
4) The fan noise. During normal use is seems to value low noise over low temps, a couple reviews have mentioned this, its basically dead silent unless you're doing something fairly demanding. When the fan does come on its a really tolerable noise, a good "whooshing" sound without any "whiny" aspects. Make no mistake, you can hear it clearly but its completely unobjectionable.
5) I CAN use it on my lap without a cooler/lap desk - I was nervous about this one but the location of the primary intake end up being off the side of my right leg and is unobstructed while I'm sitting in my favorite chair. This is a big deal. :) The bottom of the system stays cool but the exhaust is HOT!
6) Its so easy to work with! I had mine come with the CPU already installed and IC Diamond pre-applied to it and the GPU so I didn't have to mess with it. However, I did install the RAM, SSD, and wifi myself. I didn't time myself but it took about two minutes. There are no screws to remove, just take out the battery and the whole bottom panel pops off. I don't think I'll need to be in there much from now on but its something I really like all the same.

Dislikes:
1) The screen. Its ok I guess - but I can see the funky grid aspect to it that is sometimes distracting (especially on solid light colored backgrounds). I actually don't mind the resolution, I too think ~720p is ideal for a 11.6" screen but of course I would instantly spend up to go with an IPS panel or similar if one existed, maybe I can swap it later, who knows... That said for what it is it could be worse. The glossy is fine, I tend to prefer it actually but I obsessively control the lighting in my house and I won't use it outside often if ever.
2) I really wish the keyboard was backlit. This was the one big compromise I had to make when I chose this machine. Its hardly necessary but its a nice perk. Luckily the letters on the keys are a nice bright white and the chiclet style means they are flat and so they reflect the light from the screen pretty well in the dark unlike the concave keys on my old laptop. I'll survive. :wink:
3) Battery life - anything is an improvement over my old machine and I haven't actually done my own testing yet - but reports are 3.5-4 hours tops and considerably less if you are gaming on the GT650M instead of the IGP. ...but who can really complain about that too much considering everything that is packed into this form factor?

Bonus information, when playing Minecraft with the aforementioned shader mods the GT650M was basically maxed out and the CPU was around 10% - this gave me temps on both chips around ~75°. I have seen reports of temps around 90° with both the GPU and CPU maxed.

Overall I'm just in love, what else can I say? 8)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 09, 2012 1:18 pm

drfish wrote:

Bonus information, when playing Minecraft with the aforementioned shader mods the GT650M was basically maxed out and the CPU was around 10% - this gave me temps on both chips around ~75°. I have seen reports of temps around 90° with both the GPU and CPU maxed.

That sounds like a somewhat high temps... I would try running FurMark on it and see for the signs of GPU throttling down (FurMark has temp graph which can be used for that); if it doesn't - you're fine, if it does - there might be a problem with cooling system. I remember ordering one of Sager laptops long time ago and having such high temps (reaching to 90C for GPU), when I disassembled it and removed the GPU part of the heatsink - there was a piece of clear plastic stuck between the thermal grease and the GPU itself, meaning whomever was assembling it forgot to remove it :o
Last edited by JohnC on Wed May 09, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm

The temps seem like par for the course according to most things I've read and below the temps that Ivy starts the throttle... :-?

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 pm

drfish wrote:
The temps seem like par for the course according to most things I've read and below the temps that Ivy starts the throttle... :-?

All my experience with laptop CPU and GPU temperature monitoring says you're more than in the good.

drfish, when you said 3.5-4 hours of battery life were you speaking in terms of general use (say web surfing, productivity software like Office) or was that specifically for when using the IGP for gaming (like Mincraft)? I'd be rather impressed with those numbers if the latter though just 4 hours for web surfing would be a bit too modest for my liking. Also, what is your impression of the keyboard and especially the track pad? Thanks for taking the dive and glad to hear you like it!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2012 3:34 pm

The 3-4 hours is a general use number. Gaming on the discrete GPU seems to be closer to just 2 hours but I'm informally running my first battery test just now so I won't have firsthand experience for awhile yet. I'm running with just the default "balanced" power profile and after 30mins with 85% battery remaining I looking at 3 hours 20 minutes of total run time without any tweaking. That's ok for me because with all the tweaking I did on my now retired machine I only ever maxed out at about 2 hours 15 minutes. Most of the time I will use this bad boy will be in my chair in the living room next to an outlet while my wife watches TV or plays Minecraft/Drawception on the HTPC - so really not a huge priority. It'll be enough so that if I travel and have to tether/VPN to the office to fix something I can get most anything solved with time to spare...

Honestly I'm barely using the trackpad since I've always felt so limited by them - I haven't even installed the Synaptics driver and am just using the default Microsoft HID device driver (no multitouch). The little bit I used it before I installed my USB 3.0 drivers (my 2.0 port had the flash drive with my Windows install on it) and could start using my trackball were just average - I do like that the rubberized texture from the rest of the system covers the trackpad as well. The buttons click a little too loudly for my taste I guess.

The keyboard is a step up from my last laptop, its my first chichlet style board so I can't compare it to others but its nice and responsive and at 90% full size it's perfectly comfortable to type on quickly and accurately. Approved.

BTW, right now the system is idling completely silently and the temps on all four cores are around 58°C. Of course the CPU has clocked itself down to 1.2Ghz as I just sit here and type with nothing else running.

Edit: Now I'm at 1 hour up time with 75% remaining...

Edit 2: Turned it off for awhile in-between but I am now at 2 hours run time and 47% battery remaining...

Edit 3: I've hit the 3 hour mark with 17% remaining.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2012 7:02 am

FYI it shut itself down at the 3 hour 25 minute mark. :-?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2012 8:09 am

No benchmarks, but I ran a lot of games on it over the weekend and here are my thoughts...

1) Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance - some people will always use Crysis as their measurement of a system killer but mine is SupCom. The W110ER handles it with ease. Everything maxed and thousands of units on the map and no problems, super smooth (I did have the Sorian AI mod and its tweaks to sim-speed installed though).
2) Team Fortress 2 - no surprise here, its more than you need to play TF2 with everything maxed including 16xAA (and AF).
3) Tropico 3 and 4 - Optimus hiccuped on this one - I had to manually tell it to use the 650M because it kept defaulting to the IGP otherwise. The IGP was hopeless with everything maxed but the 650M killed it and everything was smooth
4) Civilization 5 - really smooth but maybe not "buttery" so. Perfectly playable.
5) Orion: Dino Beat Down - this game is a little out there and plenty buggy - but a lot of fun - its an Unreal 3 engine game and the system eats it up - however the game itself has some serious performance issues and needs some tweaking - even my desktop tanks with it sometimes. :-?

thegst
Gerbil XP

Fri May 18, 2012 7:11 am

I'm also thinking of getting the W110ER, but rjtech does not yet seem to offer the AUO matte panel as an option.
Anandtech posted some other vendors to pick this up at as a full-built if it helps, one or two of which do offer the matte display: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5804/clev ... al-vendors
Mazinger [email protected]/3800mhz -Gig EP45-UD3R -4GB Corsair XMS2 CL5-5-5-15 1100mhz -Sapphire HD6850 900/1100 -OCZ Vertex 3 120GB -WD Black 750GB -Corsair TX650
BSOD -Q6700 -Intel DP43SG -8GB PNY DDR3 -HPT 2640x1 -4x2TB WD Green RAID5 -Seasonic S12-500

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 am

Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2012 7:59 am

thegst wrote:
I'm also thinking of getting the W110ER, but rjtech does not yet seem to offer the AUO matte panel as an option.
Anandtech posted some other vendors to pick this up at as a full-built if it helps, one or two of which do offer the matte display: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5804/clev ... al-vendors

I'm thinking about replacing mine with that panel but I think I'm going to wait in case an even better option pops up.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:55 am

Sorry to be a thread necro but I have one of these in produciton, I'm expecting it Thursday.

I'm honestly okay with the TN, the low resolution and the low brightness - but the viewing angles seem bad even for TN and the black levels are really high (based on reviews).

I've put my money down, so the screen is a compromise I am willing to make for such a tiny powerhouse but was wondering, did you ever bother to replace the panel or even find a suitable replacement panel that fits? I know you can buy these Clevos with AUO matte TN and even a 1080p model, but I've only found exact replacements for the nasty CMO panel that I will be getting.

I suppose whilst I'm here, how's it holding up after four months. Does the rubberised texture wear out like I expect it will?
Uh, these questions primarily to drfish but if any other owners want to chime in you also have my thanks.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:40 pm

I haven't done anything with the panel yet - it is serviceable but not great. I would agree that the viewing angles are the weakest link. As far as how it's holding up I'm super impressed. I haven't traveled with it much so its not sliding in and out of its case very often but I do use it a few hours a day and the texture is fine and the hinge is great. :)

Edit: Based on your question I posted in the main W110ER thread asking about the screen as well. It looks like the best screen anyone has found is this one. Still the same res and still a TN so I probably won't bite.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks for the update, appreciate it.

I'll look for some reviews on the AUO panel. As I said, 768p resolution and TN panel tech doesn't bother me. Neither does gloss. For a gaming experience, what really matters is good black detail and viewing angles - since on a TN the viewing angle massively affects the gamma for black details.

If all games were set in candy-coloured, bacon-unicorn land, then crappy blacks wouldn't be such a problem! Unfortunately I like dark/sci-fi stuff ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.