Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

What To Do With Old/Defective PSUs?

Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 pm

In years past, I've simply tossed my defective or unwanted powersupplies. Lately I've been trying to recycle my old electronics rather than toss just them; especially batteries and such. I recently had an old Enermax Noisetaker II PSU go out, but being a fairly hefty unit, I got to thinking------isn't there most likely some valuable metals inside a higher-end powersupply?? It almost seems like I should be getting a few bucks for it somewhere.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What To Do With Old/Defective PSUs?

Fri May 11, 2012 12:00 am

Unless you've got a scrap dealer in the neighborhood you can hand it off to, I doubt it would be worth the cost of transporting it to wherever you'd need to take it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ShadowTiger
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 11, 2012 5:18 am

Maybe you can build a collection of old computer parts and solder/weld it into a cool robot sculpture

EV42TMAN
Gerbil

Fri May 11, 2012 8:14 am

they work good as door stops
MCP MCDST MCSA MCTS MCITP
A+ Net+
Intel Core i7-950 Intel DX58SO Mobo 6GB Corsair XMS3 Tri-Channel BFG Geforce 260 GTX
2x 160GB Seagate HDs RAID 0 2x 500GB WD RE3 HDs RAID 0
Built 40K+ systems and still counting

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 11, 2012 9:14 am

Give them to Starfalcon.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am

If the PSU didn't die due to a fan failure, the fan(s) may still be usable for something else (e.g. as a case fan). May require a little creative connector splicing, but that's no big deal.

Caveat: If you ever poke around inside a PSU, please exercise caution around the high voltage caps. They can have hundreds of volts of charge on them even if the PSU has been off for a long time! First thing I do once I've got access to the underside of the PCB is short all the large caps by momentarily bridging their connections with a screwdriver, to make sure all of the residual high voltage is discharged. Edit: And if you don't know what that means, you probably shouldn't be opening up your old PSUs...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 11, 2012 11:48 am

Philldoe wrote:
Give them to Starfalcon.

Yeah, I am always short on old PSUs for my rigs...always willing to take old hardware no one wants.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2012 12:10 pm

The PSU still fires up and all the fans turn. The computer even still goes through the boot process, it just does so with nothing but a black screen. New PSU solved the problem. This is the second PSU in about 6 months that died the same way for this particular family member. I think they must have some sort of power or voltage problem on the circuit.

Anyhow Starfalcon, if you want it, it's yours. It's an Enermax Noisetaker II EG425P-VE. I actually live about 15 miles from you.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 12, 2012 11:10 pm

Yeah PM me and we can work something out on it.