Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

How do I take a picture of my PC Parts ?

Fri May 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi,

From time to time people usually my hardware support people assk me for the photos of various parts of my PC.

I don't have a digital camera or a webcam.

What is the cheapest way of taking such picures & sending them as e mail attachment ?

A cheap digital camera or a webcam or something else ?

Please do give specifics specs of such device & brand name if possible.

Also what kind of software do I need to capture such photos ?

Thanks

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: How do I take a picture of my PC Parts ?

Fri May 11, 2012 10:08 pm

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Your cell phone may take adequate photos. Mine does well enough for the sort of casual photos that you've described.

A reasonably-priced point-and-shoot camera like the Canon Powershot A3400 IS can take excellent photos.

Most digital cameras work like USB flash memory when you plug them into your PC with a USB cable. So does my cell phone. Just drag the files from the device to the PC. You could also pull out the digital memory card and insert it into a reader that is already connected to your PC.

No special software is required.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 12, 2012 6:57 pm

A cheap digital camera with a macro mode is your best option. The camera on your phone or a webcam may not have enough resolution or the ability to focus close enough, depending on the size of the thing(s) you're trying to take pictures of.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Thank you all.

Really appreciate your suggestions.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Individual components? You could look up the model number and find a good photo online. Obviously that wouldn't be "your" part, but the same model is the same model.

If you want a camera recommendation, you can't beat the photo quality of a dSLR. The sensor is bigger and better than a little digital camera, the lenses are bigger and better. New ones aren't cheap, but you can find used or refurbished for good prices. Check eBay or pawn shops. I'd look for a Nikon D40, D50, D60, or D70; those are old enough to not be expensive, but would still work great with all their lenses and flashes, and take great photos. Canons are good, too, but I'm not familiar with their model numbers.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 12, 2012 8:24 pm

FuturePastNow wrote:
Individual components? You could look up the model number and find a good photo online. Obviously that wouldn't be "your" part, but the same model is the same model.

If you want a camera recommendation, you can't beat the photo quality of a dSLR. The sensor is bigger and better than a little digital camera, the lenses are bigger and better. New ones aren't cheap, but you can find used or refurbished for good prices. Check eBay or pawn shops. I'd look for a Nikon D40, D50, D60, or D70; those are old enough to not be expensive, but would still work great with all their lenses and flashes, and take great photos. Canons are good, too, but I'm not familiar with their model numbers.

Seems to me that even a used DSLR will be rather incompatible with the requirement that it be the "cheapest way".

BloodSoul
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Thank you justbrewit... I thought I was the only person who had actually read the OP's post. If a person doesn't already own a digital camera of any sort in this day and age, I doubt they have the money or interest in buying a dSLR.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Even the A3400 point-and-shoot mentioned earlier may be overkill. If cost is the overriding concern, you can get some decent digital cameras for under $100, especially if you're willing to settle for something that's a generation or two old.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat May 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Heck, if you don't need to see all the silk printing on chips/motherboards. The picture (in this post) taken using my really old A40 is more than enough. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Heck, if you don't need to see all the silk printing on chips/motherboards. The picture (in this post) taken using my really old A40 is more than enough. ;)

Yeah, if you're willing to go the eBay route you can probably pick up an older used digicam that'll get the job done for really cheap. Just make sure you get something that uses standard AA batteries; rechargeable Li-ion battery packs in older cameras may be trashed by now, and could easily cost you as much to replace as you're paying for the camera.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 13, 2012 4:06 am

You guys are so funny, DSLR's, professional photography setups etc ;)

Assuming your phone doesn't have a camera with Macro mode, any cheap digital camera with a macro mode will do. It doesn't even matter if it's an older model, as long as it works, since a 5-year-old camera is likely to be at least 8 megapixles and I guess you'll be resizing this down to screen resolution to email people anyway.

The only other thing I'd recommend is a bright, adjustable desk lamp; To get good photos you need good light, not expensive hardware.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun May 13, 2012 11:53 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
The only other thing I'd recommend is a bright, adjustable desk lamp; To get good photos you need good light, not expensive hardware.
Completely agree. I've got great "inside the case" shots from a pocket point-n-shoot I bought three or four years ago for less than $150 -- as long as light it well (with strong lights be careful of harsh shadows -- and that includes the built-in flash -- it's usually better to have two or three moderate lamps from different angles and forego the flash entirely). Having more light than you think you need allows you (or the program in the camera) to adjust the aperture to get more depth-of-field, which you often need when doing macro shots. On cameras without a manual mode (or if you just don't know what you're doing) it may take some trial-and-error to get results you're satisfied with, but you're never going to get there if you don't start with adequate lighting.