Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

xeridea
Gerbil
Topic Author

AMD Clocks not sticking.

Sat May 12, 2012 11:52 pm

I am having an extremely annoying issue. If I change the clocks on my HD 6850, they don't stick. They may apply, but will revert back to stock soon after, and then I can't even reset them without restarting or at least logging out. Using MSI Afterburner, since I also use it for custom auto fan profile, and the OSD. It will report the speed I set, CCC reports it what I set, but GPU-Z shows it defaults. I just updated drivers from 11.10(ish) to 12.4, same issue.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Re: AMD Clocks not sticking.

Sun May 13, 2012 1:30 pm

I've got a 4890 that does funny things with its clocks on Afterburner too. The clocks will set themselves to the profile of whatever program opened last, so if you open up CCC after you change the clocks in Afterburner they will reset. You may have to enable overclocking in CCC to make it stop overriding any setting as well. If you already have, try opening and closing Afterburner, that usually resets the clocks for me.

xeridea
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Tried closing afterburner. It doesn't seem to be an issue with afterburner changing profile, it reports that its where I want it, and CCC reports its where I want it, but GPU-Z shows default clock rates, and GPGPU performance reflects same thing. Only surefire way I know is restart or logout, but it will still revert after time.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 13, 2012 11:17 pm

With CCC at least, it only runs the card at the OCed speeds only when it is under load. It runs at normal speed for me out of games, and the OCed speed in games.

xeridea
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2012 1:40 pm

I know it only runs set speeds under load, and lower under idle to save power, it runs at default 800/1050 when I set it to 830/730. It may switch, but will revert for some reason, even though afterburner/CCC show it at set speeds.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Maybe it doesn't like you underclocking the ram so much. I know if I set the clocks poorly they will reset to default when they fail. Try only changing one thing and see if it sticks.

xeridea
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 pm

I can underclock the RAM down to 725, below that it fails to accept it and the sliders reset. I am talking of when CCC and afterburner report what I set, but GPU-Z and performance figures reflect default. Sometimes the clocks get applied, and then revert at some point, and sometimes the just won't take. Yesterday, I restarted and they were applied, but reverted shortly after, today, about an hour ago, they just decided to be applied without me doing anything. I don't know how long these will stay.

Basically there is a discrepancy between what CCC and afterburner report (under load, 300/300 for idle is fine), and what GPU-Z and performance figures report. Sometimes I can get them to apply, sometimes, they revert for no reason, and sometimes they just won't apply at all.