Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Asus Transformers TF300 -

Sun May 13, 2012 7:34 pm

So...does anyone have one of these bad boys or the predecessors?

I keep playing with demos at the store but I can never get the GPS functions to work, and searches of the device just talk about the effectiveness not the actual use of it. They're suppose to have GPS receivers built in -- do they actually work without wireless present? The OS keeps wanting to turn wireless on to "assist" in the GPS features, which seems rather counter-productive.

How in the hell DO you get it to work without wireless?
Last edited by dashbarron on Sun May 27, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Re: Asus Transformers TF300 -

Sun May 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Take it outside? GPS signals don't tend to work very well indoors. I have a TF101 and have never had a problem with the GPS as long as there isn't a thick steel roof in the way.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Sun May 13, 2012 8:26 pm

The Prime's supposedly have issues with GPS (I don't have one myself). The other new Asus tablet is supposed to have that fixed though...

I know for my Android phone it usually prompts to turn on wireless to obtain a more accurate location.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun May 13, 2012 10:04 pm

I've got a TF201 (Transformer Prime), and as far as I know, I don't have any issues...

Rooster
Gerbil

Sun May 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Just downloaded a map with Wifi on, turned Wifi off, and walked around my neighborhood with perfect GPS tracking.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Still trying to demo these in stores without much luck, even after reading these posts.

I'm assuming the high vaulted ceiling is blocking signal but it's one of those things you don't want to hinge a purchase on, ya know?

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 am

dashbarron wrote:
Still trying to demo these in stores without much luck, even after reading these posts.

I'm assuming the high vaulted ceiling is blocking signal but it's one of those things you don't want to hinge a purchase on, ya know?

You could return it if the GPS capability isn't good enough for you, right? You're not locked into keeping it?
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:37 pm

dashbarron wrote:

Most commercial buildings in my neck of the woods have steel roof trusses and heavy galvanized steel sheeting above that. In flat-roof construction, the additional weatherproofing is then supplied using either concrete or a few inches of mixed tar and gravel capped with loose gravel. Sometimes there's a maze of galvanized steel HVAC ducting hanging up there, too, and maybe some coarse wire mesh to help hold down the spray-on insulation against the trusses and ceiling interior. Suspended ceiling, too? Then figure another lattice of steel down below. Lots of random conduit and junction boxes for lighting and communications, too.

All told, that's not quite a Cheyenne Mountain level of radiation blocking, but it will definitely gum up any high-frequency RF signals that might be trying to get through, including GPS.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:51 am

My TF101 works just fine, including GPS. I love it.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus