Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tales from the Minus Lab

Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:30 am

Check out our senior year game project - Tales from the Minus Lab. There's no point to this thread other than me wanting to show off our progress after a semester :P. (Should this be in TBP in that case?) If you've got any questions, feel free to ask :D.

Eventually, there will be a demo reel posted of all the games being worked on this year in our program here, but that's not up yet. Do check out any individual trailers games might have on their websites though; I'm really impressed with our showing this year (especially Blink).

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Tales from the Minus Lab

Sat May 12, 2012 9:41 pm

So the year's over and our game is "done." A playable build of the game is here. If you have an hour or two to kill, check it out. Otherwise, new trailer and full playthrough.

Also, some browsers might warn that the exe is malicious, but it's not; it's just a self-extracting 7z.

Edit: Realized our game is probably not user-friendly at all for someone unfamiliar with the game so here's an updated Readme with some more explanations. Didn't want to reupload the archive again just to update the readme.

fat_tony
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 14, 2012 2:48 am

hey,

thanks for the playable build!

It is an amazing adventurous puzzle game, very creative and something that has never been done before.

I have a few questions though:

1. does the game end after I have entered the tree or does it still continue from there because I am stuck and don't know what to do.

2. Is there any way to get to the clock on the wall or on the balcony?

3. Is this the final version of the game or will you release the finished product too?

Again, congratulations to your amazing work. Ever considered starting a kickstarter and make this into a fully-fledged XBLA or PSN title?

greetings,

FT

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Mon May 14, 2012 3:59 am

Zoomastigophora wrote:
So the year's over and our game is "done." A playable build of the game is here. If you have an hour or two to kill, check it out. Otherwise, new trailer and full playthrough.

Also, some browsers might warn that the exe is malicious, but it's not; it's just a self-extracting 7z.

Edit: Realized our game is probably not user-friendly at all for someone unfamiliar with the game so here's an updated Readme with some more explanations. Didn't want to reupload the archive again just to update the readme.

Just wanted to give you a big FIGHT ON, TROJANS!! :wink: Nice work, indeed.
///_-)

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 pm

fat_tony wrote:
hey,

thanks for the playable build!

It is an amazing adventurous puzzle game, very creative and something that has never been done before.

I have a few questions though:

1. does the game end after I have entered the tree or does it still continue from there because I am stuck and don't know what to do.

2. Is there any way to get to the clock on the wall or on the balcony?

3. Is this the final version of the game or will you release the finished product too?

Again, congratulations to your amazing work. Ever considered starting a kickstarter and make this into a fully-fledged XBLA or PSN title?

greetings,

FT

Thanks, glad you like it.

1. If you've managed to unlock the full size range for growing and shrinking, the game is now just in free roam explore mode. We've scattered 31 secret keys throughout the room, see if you can find them all :P. Otherwise, the breadboard in front of the tree needs to have its broken parts replaced (transistor, resistor and IC chip). New parts are scattered throughout the world and once you find them, you should have the complete size range.
  2. The clock was originally going to be a level as well, but that got scrapped during this semester's scoping; same deal with the balcony. There's no way for you to get to the balcony, but the clock might be possible if you use some props, don't know though. If you just want to see what's in those areas (and there's not much), you can hit C to go into fly cam mode (that should still work...).
  3. This is basically the final version. There are no plans to continue the game AFAIK.

Commercializing the game would be rather tricky due to the way student IP ownership is setup in our program by default.

SnowboardingTobi wrote:

Thanks! :D Are you a fellow Trojan?

BTW, credit should be given to our whole team, not just me. I'm simply posting it on here because I enjoy being part of the TR community and thought people might like to try the game :P

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Mon May 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Zoomastigophora wrote:
SnowboardingTobi wrote:

Thanks! :D Are you a fellow Trojan?

BTW, credit should be given to our whole team, not just me. I'm simply posting it on here because I enjoy being part of the TR community and thought people might like to try the game :P

Hence the 's' at the end of Trojans. :D And yep... graduated in 2000 with a degree in comp sci and a minor in biology (and started grad studies in robotics there, but never finished...). I'm a bit jealous of you that the interactive media courses/program there came after I had finished my undergrad. You lucky bastard. lol Nearest thing I could take back then was a graphics programming class taught by Wagner. A 400 level class where we did 2D and 3D programming in OpenGL in C/C++.

Fight on!
///_-)