Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

yuriylsh
Gerbil

Re: What's a TechSling?

Sat May 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Do you think TechSling would hold Samsung Series 7 Slate? It's 11.66" (W) x 7.24" (H) x 0.51" (H) tablet, would be convenient to take it with me this way when I go out with kids and backpack is overkill (and I not always know about such activities ahead of time, so backpack might not be even an option). Not sure if I can use it around office, it depends on how easy it can be hidden under a sweater or something like this.
i5 [email protected] | Asus P8P67 PRO | 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD 7950 | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB| Antec Solo Black | CORSAIR 550VX | Dell 2407WFP-HC + Auria EQ276W

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 05, 2012 1:44 pm

I don't have numbers on me, but my iPad plus the apple case fits smoothly but snugly. Figure iPad normal dimensions plus .25-.5" of width and depth. .51" height might be snug, but will probably work.

Under sweater: conceal ability depends a lot on the dimensions of your ribs and shoulders, but it's more concealable than I'd expected. You generally want to avoid sweater-type over-head type shirts, though. A front open hoodie or windbreaker would give much smoother access. Sport and suit jackets work great if they're oversize enough.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

yuriylsh
Gerbil

Sat May 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Hmm, I might be interested to try it out. Not sure if I would able to really use it until late fall though :)

Edit: On the other hand my wife is not a huge fan of my dress style, so this thing might give her a heart attack... :)
i5 [email protected] | Asus P8P67 PRO | 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD 7950 | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB| Antec Solo Black | CORSAIR 550VX | Dell 2407WFP-HC + Auria EQ276W

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Alright, took it on a bike ride. Couple of hours round trip, and the temperature is 80 degrees, but no humidity. Here is what I loved: no sweat stains. I could wear it, work up a sweat, but it would not push against the fabric of my shirt into my skin so I'd have huge annoying sweat stains.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat May 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Forge,
When I read your vest suggestion my mind when straight to the "lifejacket" in Back to the Future. :lol: We're definitely not about to make a vest to go with it but a vest would certainly cover it nicely if you can pull off that look. I couldn't.

Dp,
That is one of the potential purposes of the d-rings but we don't have an included option for connecting them your belt just yet. We wanted to leave a lot of that sort thing up to the user and once we have our website up those kind of suggestions will be made more clear.

Yeats,
Belt strap concept dually noted. Very curious to hear what your friend thinks as well.

TheEmrys,
Woohoo, someone else that thinks its surprisingly comfortable. :) I'm really glad to hear how well its working out for you (the phone location is something I'm a big fan of too). However, your comments and the ones above have me thinking about the application of the d-rings. Personally I don't use them for anything either but I think its important that something is at the bottom so you at least have the option to connect stuff to it (oh! maybe those double sided Velcro cable management things, adjustable and could hold it to your belt). We'll continue to think about simple ways to compartmentalize it further without limiting the versatility of one big pocket. BTW, would you like to try the smaller 7" tablet side or have you found a way to make it work well with the Kindle Fire? Would you care if the sides aren't the same size?

StrangeDay,
It does look cool, doesn't it? I know it sounds silly but I get a kick out of putting it on and being in public geekin' it up. ;) I have yet to wear it underneath something except as a test for comfort, I want to show it off.

yuriylsh,
I can tell you it does not fit the Acer Iconia Tab W500 (10.83"x 7.48"x0.63"). However we are planning on a 3rd size and it would work for the larger tablets like those as well as 11.6" Ultrabooks. Anything larger than that seems to be a little too ungainly to stash where the TechSling is designed to hold things. If you have that tablet already I'll try to get you a custom prototype of the larger size in a week or two if you PM me your address.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Looking at it I could see some problems with holstering your items under your arms. Many people swing their arms when they walk or put them in their pockets, just having something under your arm will feel awkward and possibly uncomfortable, especially considering the dimensions of tablets and such that would fit in it. It looks a lot like a holster for a gun, which is probably where the idea came from. Guns, however, are smaller and much more compact. Their density largely resides in one area.

You can get some pretty minimalistic backpacks and brief cases are always classy. They make laptop bag briefcases now too, which is something to consider. Backpacks most definitely keep everything out of the way and the weight distribution is quite a bit better then something like this. Briefcases don't need to look good as they have an immortal spot in society. Generally speaking people move out of the backpack phase after leaving college as it looks unprofessional and move into the briefcase phase. I could see this as being another method outside of a briefcase to carry around technology, but I don't know who would bite on it besides people who would normally use a backpack.

If you put a charger in this it will make it a lot bulkier unless you have something to manage the wires. Not everything is flat and pretty much one dimensional, that's also one of the pros of using a briefcase or backpack as they don't reside under your armpit. You also have to consider time to engage or how long it takes to actually use the device.

This also looks like something you'd have to put on at the beginning of the day and generally looks harder then simply slinging a backpack over your shoulder or picking up a briefcase. I would consider adding some sort of quick engagement method so it doesn't feel like putting on a bra at the beginning of the day, I could see it getting a bad name for that too.

I would also consider adding padding or a buffer to these straps, possibly around the tops of the shoulder. While the devices may not be heavy, the straps could dig into your shoulders because they're so small. I would consider looking at gun holster designs to see how they deal with such issues to make them comfortable. They also function in ways that make them easy to put on, so they've solved a few of the problems this device would have.

It definitely could be marketed as being trendy though. It has a futuristic feel to it, but it also borders pretty closely to having a shooter vest or something else which you just jam full of stuff. I personally wouldn't wear something like this, but there are probably some that would.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
Looking at it I could see some problems with holstering your items under your arms. Many people swing their arms when they walk or put them in their pockets, just having something under your arm will feel awkward and possibly uncomfortable, especially considering the dimensions of tablets and such that would fit in it. It looks a lot like a holster for a gun, which is probably where the idea came from. Guns, however, are smaller and much more compact. Their density largely resides in one area.

You can get some pretty minimalistic backpacks and brief cases are always classy. They make laptop bag briefcases now too, which is something to consider. Backpacks most definitely keep everything out of the way and the weight distribution is quite a bit better then something like this.

If you put a charger in this it will make it a lot bulkier unless you have something to manage the wires. Not everything is flat and pretty much one dimensional, that's also one of the pros of using a briefcase or backpack as they don't reside under your armpit. You also have to consider time to engage or how long it takes to actually use the device.

You seem to be thinking laptop, I was always thinking tablet, particularly iPad. A lot of this simply doesn't apply with the other POV.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm

I wasn't just thinking of a laptop, even tablets are pretty cumbersome. It's not really about the size as it is about having something square under your armpit that doesn't conform or adjust at all to your natural physique. Try setting a tablet under your armpit and attempt to walk around with it for a bit, it just doesn't feel natural. It's more about it being a rectangle with abrupt edges. Handguns on the other hand are quite compact in comparison and have softer transitions for the most part.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2012 5:31 pm

I think you would notice if you tried one on that the space between your side and you arm is typically "available" - yes, it is not very comfortable to carry a tablet between your arm and your side if you are holding it in place with your arm and your side. With a TechSling it is being held there for you with no effort on your part so it "disappears" fairly effectively. The flat profile of a tablet (and the other side as well) doesn't need to fit any particular contour of your body because it generally hangs in the space without unpleasant contact to your arm or side.

Regarding your earlier comments, I haven't really discussed what the best way to put it on is but what you should do it put in on over your head like a t-shirt. Pick it up, sort out the left and right sides and with the arm holes hanging between your thumb and forefinger just slip it on over your head, its really fast and not awkward at all (take it off the same way). When it comes to harness comfort I'm fairly convinced any extra padding would really only add cost with no real payback. You guys who are testing them can correct me if I'm wrong but since the webbing is 1" wide (and very soft) when you add up the total contact area of it and the elastic you are talking probably 25-30 square inches of contact with your body which distributes the weight to something like a few onces per inch assuming 2lbs on each side - in other words something that really doesn't need additional padding at all. TheEmrys mentioned one of the pluses was not having it hold sweat to your body, that is another reason we wanted to avoid padding beyond what the harness naturally offered (and why the exact webbing we chose is so important to the overall comfort).

druidcent

Wed May 09, 2012 6:00 pm

'k.. I've been wearing this for about a week now, so I thought I'd give some more detailed feedback.

1) It definitely catches people's eye.. Other than my two jackass friends, most people like the look and functionality of it, although I did get a few good-nature jokes about being in the Secret Service, a bodyguard, or Clint Eastwood (so I can't complain). After explaining the functionality, most people seem to get it and understand the potential.

2) Likes:
  • I can fit everything just about the way I'd want to. In the zippered compartment, I was able to squeeze my wallet, charger (tablet), headphones, USB cable (for phone), and keys (big set) without too much trouble.
  • Getting the balance right was a little tricky, but once settled, it is very comfortable.
  • Wearing it in the car and plane. The car is pretty easy, but the plane was cramped the first time I tried it out.. Middle seat didn't work that well. Next two hops it was better on window and aisle seats.
  • Traveling through TSA was a breeze, and it was perfect.
  • Using the tablet in meetings. I can easily take my tablet to meetings without a backpack or carrying it in my hand.
  • The buttons and snaps to hold the tablet and phone in place. They feel pretty sturdy and secure, so I don't worry about the devices falling out. How long are they rated to last?

3) Dislikes:
  • Biggest thing for me would be that I'd love a strap across the back (near the shoulders or at the bottom). The compartments tended to flop around a bit (probably my body type) unless I tuck my arms in.
  • D-rings at the bottom, not terribly useful (yet)
  • The zippered compartment needs some way of organizing. If I pull only my wallet in and out, it was manageable.. however, if I had to pull out anything it was a LIFO.. I had to dig to get my headphones out, and I kept worrying that something would fall out as well. I was thinking one option could be having a zipper or flap that runs parallel to the ground (along either the inside or outside). The other option would be to include something that can help adjust the internal compartmentalization of the zipper pocket. (a thin strip of removable velcro).
  • The phone side fit under my suit coat pretty well, but the tablet (Asus Transformer Prime) was a little odd. It worked for the most part, but it caused the front of my suit to flare out a bit, and there was no way I'd be able to button the jacket if I'd wanted to. As far as I can tell, unless I get a size or two larger, the tablet doesn't shape very well to the side of a body making jackets a little uncomfortable)
  • I think not fitting under the jacket was also the cause for it to flare out when trying to sit in an airline seat. The flare effect seemed magnified in that situation.
  • Fitting under the Motorcycle jacket was completely out, it was just not possible to fit it in it's current position
  • The loop to retain the tablet is about an inch to long, so I get some sliding in and out on the tablet. some way to shorten the strap would be nice

4) Suggestions
  • Have an option for a coin pocket somewhere, I don't keep coins in my wallet, so they end up rattling in my pockets. Having one somewhere on the TechSling would be useful.
  • Some way to change or extend the straps for each side, which would then allow the tablet to swing around the back and hook on to the other side. This would let the tablet sit off the lower back while walking (or fit under my motorcycle jacket), and then swing down when sitting in car or chair.

That's what I've got for now.. I'll keep updating as I remember stuff.

druidcent

Wed May 09, 2012 6:12 pm

drfish wrote:
I think you would notice if you tried one on that the space between your side and you arm is typically "available" - yes, it is not very comfortable to carry a tablet between your arm and your side if you are holding it in place with your arm and your side. With a TechSling it is being held there for you with no effort on your part so it "disappears" fairly effectively. The flat profile of a tablet (and the other side as well) doesn't need to fit any particular contour of your body because it generally hangs in the space without unpleasant contact to your arm or side.

Regarding your earlier comments, I haven't really discussed what the best way to put it on is but what you should do it put in on over your head like a t-shirt. Pick it up, sort out the left and right sides and with the arm holes hanging between your thumb and forefinger just slip it on over your head, its really fast and not awkward at all (take it off the same way). When it comes to harness comfort I'm fairly convinced any extra padding would really only add cost with no real payback. You guys who are testing them can correct me if I'm wrong but since the webbing is 1" wide (and very soft) when you add up the total contact area of it and the elastic you are talking probably 25-30 square inches of contact with your body which distributes the weight to something like a few onces per inch assuming 2lbs on each side - in other words something that really doesn't need additional padding at all. TheEmrys mentioned one of the pluses was not having it hold sweat to your body, that is another reason we wanted to avoid padding beyond what the harness naturally offered (and why the exact webbing we chose is so important to the overall comfort).

As I mentioned earlier, it's pretty comfortable and unobtrusive without a jacket. Padding is not really needed. I've worn it all day (8:30am to about 9p on one day), and I felt no real strain any where. I would like a strap across the back though, but I'm not sure how that would change the ergonomics.

Coran Fixx
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm

I'd like to see how this fits my 10" Toshiba Thrive. I'd also like to find out what management's reaction would be to it where I work (bank). PM sent.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2012 7:02 am

You should have it tomorrow. I send you our latest color combination, its pretty cool and my new personal favorite.

Would you guys that have them already do me a favor and post a few pictures of them with your gear inside? You don't have to be in them like my first post of course but I am curious to seem more in use.

druidcent,
Thank you so much for your writeup! Looks like we're on the same page on a number of issues. Do you think using the d-rings to attach to a belt or belt loop would be good enough or do you think a [detachable] back strap is the only way to go? I don't think I would personally use one - but it would totally depend on what you spent your day doing so I completely understand the desire for more control over its movement. Compartmentalizing it is at the top of my list. Since it was designed for the 4:3 iPad I'm not surprised to hear that the 16:10 Prime has some room to spare. I'm not sure if we will address this with an adjustable strap as you mention or with a different size/configuration for other tablets. I'm sorry it didn't fit well under the various jackets you tried - I have only used it with unbuttoned shirts or my rather roomy leather jacket. I like the idea of a back strap that could be used to pulled the sides to your back to save space if you were wearing something over them. Hmm... Thanks again!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 10, 2012 8:01 am

drfish wrote:
Would you guys that have them already do me a favor and post a few pictures of them with your gear inside? You don't have to be in them like my first post of course but I am curious to seem more in use.

Sure thing, boss.

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 10, 2012 11:34 am

I think that the option of making them act like suspenders might be interesting.

Since one of the questions/complaints here is that the cargo compartment might shift too much, you could connect to the waist band/belt with a clip or loop. You could even go all out with the suspender theme and make an attachment that would fit those buttons inside a pair of pants...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaak0-0/5285935404/

Maybe that's crazy?
I have nothing more to say about that.

druidcent

Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah.. I'm sure some people won't mind having the belt loop attach to the belt, but I'm not a big fan of suspenders... The holster look is "cool" enough that I'm good with it.. attaching it to the belt loops would lose that interesting factor and send it straight into nerdom :) At least now I'm being compared to Clint Eastwood.. going the suspenders route would be just give me too much flak :)

I can see it fitting well under a leather jacket (I've got one, I didn't think to try it under that, because it's so hot). Also a couple people suggested a jacket one or two sizes larger. Also, once I lose my spare tire, it may fit better and not flare out so much.

I'll try and get pictures this weekend to post..

Coran Fixx
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Got the techsling, nice looking product but wasn't able to fit my Toshiba Thrive in it. Mouth was about 5/8th inch too short to fit.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2012 10:04 am

I'll put you on the list with yuriylsh to send the 11.6" version to when I have some completed. I'll have some other cool things to share soon as well. :)

Dposcorp

Thu May 17, 2012 10:29 am

I just got a viewsonic Gtab 10" tablet which I gotta try in there....the color of mine is what keeps we from wearing it at work.
(I got the bronze colored one, my brother got black) :)

I would prefer black for stuff like this, since u can wear it with any color shirt.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2012 10:35 am

LOL, so far I think I've send different colors to nearly everyone. I wanted feedback on color too so this is good to know. If you guys could share some pictures it would be much appreciated. I'll try to get some additional shots up as well, maybe one showing all the colors next to each other (just got some new ones in). :)

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2012 12:24 pm

I've got a small update, I can't talk about/show the potential product changes yet but I can now share the logo in all its glory, BEHOLD!

In my next post I'll make sure to share some of the new colors we're making. :)

druidcent

Tue May 29, 2012 3:08 pm

I got the silver, and I kind of like it.. (then again, I like shiny objects, so that's not saying much :))

I'll try and remember to take some photos this weekend.. anything in particular you want in the shot?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 29, 2012 3:23 pm

I've got the silver/grey with a kind of mesh finish, for those keeping score, and I haven't been wearing mine as much as I'd like :( Hot weather locally, no AC at home, any clothing not required by decency is removed!

Sorry about the delay on pics, I'll lug my oversized torso in front of my camera tonight if I can remember.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 am

New pictures!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Let me know what you think of these colors. So far they have gone over really well with people. Its nice because the outside is pretty subdued but open them up and BAM! :) Its really nice on the zipper pocket side because its almost like having an actual light inside it.

I should have professional photos very soon.

Dposcorp

Wed May 30, 2012 10:53 am

Sorry for the delay in posting pics.....picked up a nasty virus AND then was sent away to training so have been online very little.....i'll get pics soon....just waiting for some muscle to form on my torso first :)

TechSlinger
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:19 pm

These colors are getting great responses! Landing page for the website is up, but needs some tweeking. Check it out: www.techslinger.com
One prototype with compartments in the the zipper pocket was made. Have had mixed reviews. It has great potential. Other ideas are to offer a small 'clear coin purse/pouch' with zipper to put inside the pocket. Current users are using such things and like it. One person likes to use the compartments and the small zipper pouch for smaller items. The compartments offer organization.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Hey there! Glad you made it onto the forums. I think the initial landing page for the site looks great! :)

Here's a photo of the prototype with a compartmentalized zipper pocket:

druidcent

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Oooh.. that looks so much nicer than the current mess that inhabits my zippered compartment.. I've got to get pictures... It would totally help the problem I have of pulling out my wallet and everything comes with it...

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Humm interesting ,its more like a gun holster for hiding concealed weapons except add a sportjacket over it and no one would know you are packing so much tech heat.
Maybe a name change if techsling does not work out ....How does Tech Holster sound...i think it would pull much more looks instead of sling. Just my opinion:)
If you do use the name Ill take a new pc and video cards each year as payment:)
Good luck
P.S. just noticed that 007 type logo and holster would be much more fitting.
And i noticed the toyota key:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:23 am

The "slinger" part is there to convey the "verbiness" of wearing one. You are a tech "slinger" (as opposed to a gunslinger)... :)