Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Diablo III

Thu May 17, 2012 7:31 pm

rogue426 wrote:
I've been playing on a secondary system,cause that's what I put the Beta on.
Haven't been able to get it installed on my main system , seems like a lot of people
from the Diablo 3 Forums are having similar problems. Ive tired everything that's
been suggested to no avail. At least it's playing on other system until end of next month when hopefully GW2 is launched.

try uninstalling the game, delete all the files (or rename if u want to keep a backup) under ProgramData\battle.net and ProgramData\Blizzard (might not have the exact names, but basically the files blizzard puts there)
then download a new client installer/downloader from your account page on battle.net

credible
Gerbil XP

Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 pm

rogue426 wrote:
Haven't been able to get it installed on my main system , seems like a lot of people
from the Diablo 3 Forums are having similar problems. Ive tired everything that's
been suggested to no avail. At least it's playing on other system until end of next month when hopefully GW2 is launched.

Sorry forgot to add, I also put the disc in as I had the retail copy and closed the auto run and opened in a new window and right clicked the installer and installed as admin, just to be safe, I had did that in the first place and it still did not install, it was not till enabling the secondary login that it worked with no issue.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 17, 2012 8:12 pm

blitzy wrote:
rogue426 wrote:

try uninstalling the game, delete all the files (or rename if u want to keep a backup) under ProgramData\battle.net and ProgramData\Blizzard (might not have the exact names, but basically the files blizzard puts there)
then download a new client installer/downloader from your account page on battle.net

Duh is me, I couldnt find the folder in Program FilesX86 .
Sure enough it was in ProgramData.
Downloading now!
Thanks guys
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

bodom81
Gerbil

Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm currently on act 3 normal, I have to say that they have made a lot of improvements over diablo 2, obviously. I can't believe how many people are bitching about the DRM still... look at Starcraft 2. It is pretty obvious that they aren't going to change those things for the people who want to play single player, why because there are far more people who don't give a **** that they have to log in to play. Everyone who is complaining stfu and play something else.

The graphics are a huge improvement even if it isn't completely what you were expecting. The environments are very rich and detailed from an artistic stand point I think it is great! The monsters look a million times better and holy ****! the boss's.... now that is a boss. I remember seeing cool boss fights in WoW, and these are so much more bad ass.

The challenge in normal is pretty dumb-ed down but I think that hell and inferno will be a dramatically more difficult, and this is Diablo there are so many hidden things and challenges that we don't have a clue about it'll be great to find these new things. When the arena starts up this will motivate people to keep tweaking their character and find better loot. So far the most fun I've had is having my buddies join my game and take down a boss or two.

People who bitch about the skill points being gone can also calm the hell down, the system they have in place gives you endless customization there are quite a few basic skill and then a hell of a lot of tweaks that you can do depending on your challenge at hand whether it be a boss fight or a tough group of elites, as far as gear goes... well there is more gear than you can imagine.

You may call me a blizz fan boy but I'll tell you I don't support anyone but myself. I will always remember the old blizz games. Yes I want diablo 3 to succeed so it'll be around a long time and keep improving.

The only things that annoyed me were the servers were down for maintenance but BFD! And getting kicked off randomly during battles, these are kinks that are already worked out of the system. I can imagine the servers and systems they have in place to handle millions of users are quite complex and not many of us know the first thing about it. I feel like blizzard wants to give its fans everything they can but they are also a business, sadly. but if they weren't they wouldn't be able to create epic productions.

Oh and the wow killer is most def, Mists of Panderia lmao.... GG.

credible
Gerbil XP

Thu May 17, 2012 10:05 pm

I played the beta and was way underwelmed, I do think normal is a tad too easy, but hey they gotta leave the room for the next levels of difficulty, I started with my usual a barbarian with my son who is a monk and its alot of fun, we are both level 18.

I must remind all though to check everything, just an hour ago the little bugger looted a regular weapon rack, what does he get our first legendary,lol.

I started another toon, a monk as well, because he was killing things quickly, they do seem a bit over powered, but you still have fun though as the talents and abilities are fun.

Anyhow, I'm glad I bought it now.

allreadydead
Gerbil

Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 pm

After about 22 hours game time, I finished normal difficulty with my lvl32 Barbarian.
As I did with beta, I tried to open whole map, enter every dungeon and tried to open whole maps of those dungeons too. I avoided to have my music on background instead, I cranked up the game music and also avoided using darken&sharpen mod... Just to experience what the game has to offer me.
To be perfectly honest, I could only tolerate graphics till the ending bits of act3. To avoid spoilers I won't give any details but it really helped me enjoy Act 3 after turning darken&sharpen mod on. It has very heavy impact on graphics performance but that's something I'm willingly sacrificed after seeing the difference.

This game, is a great game. A very good, solid release from Blizzard, yet again. Yes, they had problems at launch but things turned to normal in a week and now almost noone complains about server performance or connection issues. The situation was worse at Europe servers and I had to start on Americas because I was unable to connect Europe. Still, it seems all fine now. The gameplay is fast paced and fun. If I have to compare with Diablo 2, D2 was faster and had more intense offense/defense mechanics than this. This game has more god of war style combat; less strategy more carnage. However, if you put all strategy away and get lost in slaying demons, one pack comes and reminds you this is STILL a RPG based game. You still have limited abilities to defense and offense and dying is still a possibility... Game also offers crafting possibilities. You can craft your own items with salvaging the useless trash magic items dropping from monsters. Game also offers some familiar faces from past Diablo games. I will not mention where or what but I was very pleased/terrified to see them. I wish it had more of it..
I have 1 complaint about the game; the name of it. This is not 3rd game of Diablo franchise. This is a sum of Blizzard's story telling, game making capabilities shown in the diablo universe. It's awesome but leaves you wondering whatta marvelous game this would be if the original team (Blizzard North) could finish it.
It's not about being good or bad, it's about the feeling it gives. In latest Diablo game, the game is brilliantly put together. It has it own perks over old ones and it's better in almost every aspect. But still, something is not right.

It's like your favourite bands, your most favourite song's cover. Even It's done in an absolutely brillant way, it's not the original. You can sense something is not there and it's been replaced by the band who did the cover.
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 18, 2012 2:59 am

Meadows wrote:
I wish everyone would stop with the "colour pallette" argument already. The colours are fine, and I found no issue with the sharpness of the individual textures either. Nothing stood out, or looked odd. It looked great.

Diablo III is neither My Little Pony, nor WoW. It has colour, but it isn't all colour. If you've ever played Diablo II, you will know the game has always used plenty of colour where warranted (especially spells and effects).

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73850/diablo-3-players-find-level-of-rainbows-unicorns
Last edited by DeadOfKnight on Fri May 18, 2012 3:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 18, 2012 3:16 am

Enable elective mode in the gameplay options. It lets you take more than one power in each group by replacing a power from another group.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/15/defau ... -diablo-3/
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 18, 2012 4:28 am

bodom81 wrote:
I can't believe how many people are bitching about the DRM still.

I died yesterday because my single player game lagged out while I was hugging some unique mob.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri May 18, 2012 6:18 am

allreadydead wrote:
After about 22 hours game time, I finished normal difficulty with my lvl32 Barbarian.
As I did with beta, I tried to open whole map, enter every dungeon and tried to open whole maps of those dungeons too. I avoided to have my music on background instead, I cranked up the game music and also avoided using darken&sharpen mod... Just to experience what the game has to offer me.
To be perfectly honest, I could only tolerate graphics till the ending bits of act3. To avoid spoilers I won't give any details but it really helped me enjoy Act 3 after turning darken&sharpen mod on. It has very heavy impact on graphics performance but that's something I'm willingly sacrificed after seeing the difference.

This game, is a great game. A very good, solid release from Blizzard, yet again. Yes, they had problems at launch but things turned to normal in a week and now almost noone complains about server performance or connection issues. The situation was worse at Europe servers and I had to start on Americas because I was unable to connect Europe. Still, it seems all fine now. The gameplay is fast paced and fun. If I have to compare with Diablo 2, D2 was faster and had more intense offense/defense mechanics than this. This game has more god of war style combat; less strategy more carnage. However, if you put all strategy away and get lost in slaying demons, one pack comes and reminds you this is STILL a RPG based game. You still have limited abilities to defense and offense and dying is still a possibility... Game also offers crafting possibilities. You can craft your own items with salvaging the useless trash magic items dropping from monsters. Game also offers some familiar faces from past Diablo games. I will not mention where or what but I was very pleased/terrified to see them. I wish it had more of it..
I have 1 complaint about the game; the name of it. This is not 3rd game of Diablo franchise. This is a sum of Blizzard's story telling, game making capabilities shown in the diablo universe. It's awesome but leaves you wondering whatta marvelous game this would be if the original team (Blizzard North) could finish it.
It's not about being good or bad, it's about the feeling it gives. In latest Diablo game, the game is brilliantly put together. It has it own perks over old ones and it's better in almost every aspect. But still, something is not right.

It's like your favourite bands, your most favourite song's cover. Even It's done in an absolutely brillant way, it's not the original. You can sense something is not there and it's been replaced by the band who did the cover.

Really? REALLY! :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

allreadydead
Gerbil

Fri May 18, 2012 8:48 am

tanker27 wrote:

Good to know we agreeing on disagree ;)
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 am

Firestarter wrote:
bodom81 wrote:
I can't believe how many people are bitching about the DRM still.

I died yesterday because my single player game lagged out while I was hugging some unique mob.

I have not died from this yet, but I have hit lag spikes that do weird things. Although it's not all DRM on that front. I imagine it has a lot more to do with preventing loot exploitation (which could screw up the RMAH).

It would all be nicer if there were more to offer from always being online, like more game modes, maybe some trinkets to show off from other games, or community maps/challenges
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 am

nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

BKA
Gerbil XP

Fri May 18, 2012 9:59 am

Arclight wrote:

LMAO!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri May 18, 2012 10:15 am

It appears that video was old before it was finished. By the night of the 16th those errors were supposedly gone, and I haven't had any in the roughly 3 hours I've had with it, including 9PM Central last night.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri May 18, 2012 11:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQzJC-vS40

(God I love Blizz's sense of humor!)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri May 18, 2012 11:15 am

allreadydead wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Good to know we agreeing on disagree ;)

Oh I am not agreeing on disagree. I think you're crazy and that mod is crap. Have fun with in the desert environments.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 19, 2012 11:35 am

Got through Act1 last night. So far so good.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 20, 2012 3:41 am

Died for the first time a few hours ago(hardcore or bust). :( Was level 35 on Act 1 of nightmare. Gets tough pretty fast.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun May 20, 2012 5:40 am

DancinJack wrote:
Died for the first time a few hours ago(hardcore or bust). :( Was level 35 on Act 1 of nightmare. Gets tough pretty fast.

I actually managed to die my first death on normal, lvl 25 in the last dungeon where you are looking for Kulle's body. Got caught in a paralyze spell at the same time something else was cooking me alive with fire. So no diamond skin, no healing worked. It was during one of those fights with those golden-glow "minibosses" that usually drop a rare or two. Normally, if you arent paralyzed, a lvl 25 wizard does what.. 250dps and can soak almost 5000 dmg with the crystal skin activated.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 20, 2012 7:56 am

I also do not understand the hate, especially all of the stuff before the game was even released. The constant connection is a bit of a nuisance, but i think its more about stopping duping which was a huge problem for D1 and D2 as much as it is DRM. I think all of the loot drops and storage may be controlled server side, which would really help control duping.

On to the game, I am having a blast. Currently playing a Barb he is level 35 and just finished Act 1 NM. NM is definitely more dangerous then normal, I think hell is going to be tough. I can't imagine Inferno. The graphics are good, I like the background graphics, and think the character and monster graphics are awesome. I love the pace of the game, you are always moving. Blizzard said they wanted to take out stuff the slowed the game down and didn't add much and I think they did a great job. The story and boss fights are amazing as well.

Two small complaints. One I don't mind the skill system, but the interface feels clunky. Two way point/quest system also feels like it could be improved.

Overall I love the game, it is really fun multiplayer.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 20, 2012 11:09 am

Aphasia wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

I actually managed to die my first death on normal, lvl 25 in the last dungeon where you are looking for Kulle's body. Got caught in a paralyze spell at the same time something else was cooking me alive with fire. So no diamond skin, no healing worked. It was during one of those fights with those golden-glow "minibosses" that usually drop a rare or two. Normally, if you arent paralyzed, a lvl 25 wizard does what.. 250dps and can soak almost 5000 dmg with the crystal skin activated.

Yeah, one of my friends that is playing with me is playing wiz and loves that diamond/ice skin. When I died I think i was at 5K vitality and 450ish DPS. Playing monk is really fun. Started a new guy last night. Already to Act 2 normal. Time for my friends to rush me!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun May 20, 2012 3:34 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Yeah, one of my friends that is playing with me is playing wiz and loves that diamond/ice skin. When I died I think i was at 5K vitality and 450ish DPS. Playing monk is really fun. Started a new guy last night. Already to Act 2 normal. Time for my friends to rush me!

There is some nice stuff you can do with it. Activate skin, run into middle of mob, activate wave of force and blam, most of mob gone, put a shock pulse on anything that is still alive and they are gone too. Perhaps disintegate or frost beam if there is any mini-bosses around that didnt die from the first two.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon May 21, 2012 6:52 am

So yeah my monk is OP. There I said it. Last night I just finished Act III in hell mode. (lvl 51) I have been running the same skills/runes since just about Nightmare mode and I am unstoppable. I even switched from using the Templar (I used him for his heals and taunt abilities) to the Sorcerer for kicks. The reactive heal and spirit regen is a tad bit too much.

So my setup is:

Primary - FoT w/ Thunderclap
Secondary - Lashing Tail Kick w/ Scorpion Sting
Defensive - Serenity w/ Tranquility
Techniques - Sweeping Wind w/ Inner Storm (I may try Cyclone when I unlock it)
Focus - Seven-Sided Strike w/ Pandemonium
Mantra - Mantra of Healing w/ Boon of Protection
Passive skills - Transcendence, Seize the Initiative, Chant of Resonance (the 10 min cast of mantra is great but I switch the third out for bosses with The Guardian's Path)

I also dual wield.

This build makes me nearly unstoppable and I can often chain pull non-stop. Just about the only time I get into trouble is when those dang treasure goblins are around and I am chasing them down. They really are the death of me! Whats even funnier is sometimes the Sorcerer has her "chicken" on cool down and she CC's him and its tap of the SSS for an easy kill, phat lewts all around! :P (The other thing that normally kills me is I stand in stuff too much, My group, when I do group but I mostly solo, is always yelling at me to move!)

The gist of this build is for every spirit I spend I gain a heal plus the damage reduction. The type of gear I look for and am running is Dex > Vit > Spirit Regen > Int/ Resist. Once PvP gets here I know this build or even the Monk as a whole will get re-tuned because this a ridiculously OP setup.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 21, 2012 7:38 am

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 21, 2012 7:42 am

tanker27 wrote:
My build

Do you use elective mode?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon May 21, 2012 7:49 am

Bensam123 wrote:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/18/how-diablo-iiis-solo-experience-reveals-a-hollow-game/

Sums a lot of it up.

No it doesnt. You would rather let some other hack speak for you go right ahead that's your choice. Bottom line is the game, at least for myself, is fun. And no amount of anybody's (smelly) opinion will change that fact. Go ahead be a sheep and let others speak for you. People are naysayers just to be cool. :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon May 21, 2012 10:08 am

Approaching NSFW, so be careful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I43GUnZN_s4
:lol:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm

DancinJack wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
My build

Do you use elective mode?

No, but I know its there. I am probably going to need and use it in Inferno but we will see. Also elective mode can get someone who isn't too familiar with the game play in a lot of trouble if you choose poorly. Blizz did a good job as it is for laying out the skills. However I do know for some classes there are some skills that compliment each other in the same class that you may want to use together. e.g. Frost nova and Diamond skin for Mages for survivability.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Sputnik7
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah I could use some advice on gear for my barbarian. I eagerly smashed through normal, but nightmare is kicking my butt. It's the dps/vitality trade off that i'm trying to find. Any nm or higher barbs out there with some friendly advice? I'm thinking about going to a 1h + shield instead of dual-wield
ASUS Prime 270Z-A | 7700K @ stock for now | 16 GB DDR4-3200 | GTX 970 | Fractal Define S | Dell S2716DG 144hz G-Sync @ 1440p