Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Onion shake anyone?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 am

JohnC wrote:
Hotdog wrote:
Do you suffer from any diagnosed mental illnesses?

Either that, or he's simply trolling. The next post will probably be about something like drinking urine or drinking "Kangen water" or some crap like this :roll:

Hanlon's Razor.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:38 am

Cut the onion into pieces, add half a glass of water and blend away!

I am consuming the yellow variety due to its higher phenolic and flavonoid content. Unfortunately, its pungent taste is VERY unpleasant.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:23 am

Why not simply ask ur doctor for a pharmaceutical that hinders the activity of osteoclasts? I could name denosumab, a single injection and you're free for months? Sure, it costs an arm and a leg, but it is better that ridiculous unproved methods?

Healthy meals for the rest of life goes without saying..
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:24 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

I am consuming the yellow variety due to its higher phenolic and flavonoid content. Unfortunately, its pungent taste is VERY unpleasant.

I bet more than half of your phenolics and flavonoids are long gone before u drink that.
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 am

glacius555 wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

I bet more than half of your phenolics and flavonoids are long gone before u drink that.

Are you saying they evaporate?

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
glacius555 wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Are you saying they evaporate?

No, they cannot do that, most have melting point above 200 degrees celsius :lol:

They are oxidized..

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:41 pm

glacius555 wrote:
Why not simply ask ur doctor for a pharmaceutical that hinders the activity of osteoclasts? I could name denosumab, a single injection and you're free for months? Sure, it costs an arm and a leg, but it is better that ridiculous unproved methods?

Healthy meals for the rest of life goes without saying..

>mfw most pharmaceutical drugs are based on naturally occurring drugs
>mfw i have no face
plus, he doesn't get all the fiber, i bet he poos like a king.
Trump 2020

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I just wish there was an easier way of getting them down my throat :cry:

Try using a suppository delivery system - you won't have to deal with nasty taste :wink: :lol: All you need is an empty colon and a proper tool for delivery:

As an extra benefit, onion liquid will "protect" your colon from evil cancers and parasites
:lol:
Last edited by JohnC on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

boing
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:04 pm

JohnC wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I just wish there was an easier way of getting them down my throat :cry:

Try using a suppository delivery system - you won't have to deal with nasty taste :wink: :lol: All you need is an empty colon and a proper tool for delivery
Enemas - the brick and mortar income of alternative therapists since John Harvey Kellogg.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:33 pm

This is pretty disturbing. Igor, you really need to just get yourself to a doctor and a nutritionist. You need a lifestyle change, not onion shakes.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:39 pm

The only way to lose weight, and reduce the chance of heart disease, is through your sweat.

Or time. Took me years and years to lose it, but eventually I dropped from my high of 285 at age 18 to about 180 now that I'm 30. All it took was this: Reduce food intake by 25-35%, and replace almost all soda and juices with that magical miracle drink: Water. :D Of course, I was always fairly active... just over-consuming.

Thatguy
Gerbil

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Replacing bone density isn't an overnight endeavor. Depending on how much you need to gain this could take you many many months through diet and a lifestyle change. Assuming this is all simply from a poor diet and lack of activities it should return to normal with just your diet. If you have some underlying issue that's affecting your bone density your diet may never get you back into healthy levels. I would suggest scheduling a date with a doctor and probably a nutritionist to help you figure this out.
Athlon II x4 630 (3.5)|MSI 890gxm-g65|12gb ddr3-1333|Corsair cx400w|Dell U2312HM|MSI 7850|Force gt 120gb| Realtek intergrated goodness

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Man whatever happened to just drinking milk?

I go through about a gallon a week myself. Tastes a lot better than onions too.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 02, 2012 2:55 pm

I drink a gallon of milk every 2 days; 3 if I skip a shake sometimes. Whole milk too. /flex

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Re-reading the subject of the thread: no. Onions did not shake me.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 02, 2012 3:32 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
I drink a gallon of milk every 2 days; 3 if I skip a shake sometimes. Whole milk too. /flex

Uh... you must work out a ton otherwise there's no way you weigh less than 300lbs.

Milk couldn't possibly be more overrated. it's not great for you, the benefit to your bones was born out of a marketing campaign. While it's not bad for your bones there's many better sources of calcium (which I doubt most people need, since tons of everyday foods are calcium enriched these days).

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 02, 2012 4:20 pm

Vrock wrote:
Yes.

Ladies and gentlemen, there you have it: Vrock officially wins this thread.

Mr. Kavinski, if you are indeed serious, then please, please, please, cease and desist and step away from the blender. If you really think you have the bone density of a post-menopausal chain-smoking alcoholic couch potato then, as others have stated, you should see a doctor to confirm this and work out a manageable course of treatment.

As far as altering diet is concerned, moderation is key. Do what you can to cut out the fast food (particularly foods overly high in sodium). However, going from a fast-food laden diet to protein and lettuce (or onions) overnight is not the answer. Come up with a goal of how you would like to be eating and give yourself a few weeks to reach that goal to acclimatize your system. Consistent progress is key. You'll likely make yourself feel worse if you try and do it all at once, at least in the short term.

And after diet, nothing helps restore bone density like some good ol' resistance training. Exercise. But again, if you're not used to it, set goals and take it slow. Healthy living comes one day at a time, not overnight.
Last edited by cynan on Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Ignoring for a moment that onions aren't really going to do what you think they're going to do, healthwise...

Wouldn't it be easier to just eat the onions? Instead of making a shake out of them, why not add them to a salad? Or a sandwich? Heck, chop them up and make some egg-salad or potato salad with them as an ingredient. Cook them and add them - along with some peppers - to a sausage sandwich. Add them to spaghetti sauce. The point is, there are countless ways to consume onions that are better than putting them in a blender.

But as others have already said, the real solution to your problem is to start eating an overall healthy diet. If you're seriously worried that your health is being affected by what you're eating, then stop eating it. Not just for a few days or weeks, but for the long haul. Start eating a healthy diet, and then you can treat your self to something less healthy once in a while without worrying about your spine snapping. :)

The Egg

Wed May 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Onion shakes sound interesting. I usually just keep a couple ripe ones in my sock & underwear drawer to keep the bugs out. If you're looking to help your blood circulation, I've found that the liquid at the bottom of a Tuna can actually works really well. Saturate a cloth or paper towel with it, and apply to the pressure points behind your ears and on your wrists. As for bone density, I've found that a big, solid gulp of the juice from the pickle jar in the morning works wonders.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 16, 2012 4:26 pm

You'd best be trolling, bucko.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

connerdmc
Gerbil In Training

Wed May 16, 2012 5:40 pm

I drink coconut water to counter-act the effects of the monsters I drink.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 20, 2012 12:03 pm

....As someone with low spinal bone density...it's not something you can feel, your spine isn't going to snap. The only thing you feel is when you gain another compression fracture.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun May 20, 2012 12:57 pm

jss21382 wrote:
The only thing you feel is when you gain another compression fracture.

I have had one of those, actually. Went to my local garments store to get myself a pair of trousers. My trouser length used to be 39 inches. But on that day, even the sales guy (he knew me well) double checked the length he measured because it was coming out as 37 inches. I had just moved to another place a few days back and had done quite a bit of lifting heavy stuff (nothing more than 10 kilos I think) and my back was hurting a bit. But when I saw that my height had been reduced by two inches, it got me worried as heck. The only possible explanation was a compression fracture and getting a compression fracture at my age can only be due to weak bones. I mean, I would have to be a real wimp not to be able to lift 10 kilos without fracturing my lower vertebrae. I went to a doctor ASAP and he tells me it's not possible at my age. I tell him about the loss of height and he just laughs it off like I am the biggest moron on this side of the planet! That's when I settled on onions after doing extensive research. Because all the bone density medications suck. They show not very significant results in a few years' time. Onions worked for me in a matter of months. Joke all you want about it, guys. But it works because I experienced it first hand.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Sounds like you need a new doctor if he laughed at you.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Umm...

Please explain to me how a compression fracture in your *back* could change the length of your legs? That makes absolutely *no* sense. Just look at how the bones of your skeleton are connected and you'll see why.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun May 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I didnt create the human body so I can't explain it. BUT here's a quote from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1627411:

Vertebral compression fractures (VCFs) may be defined radiographically or as a clinical event. The prevalence of these fractures in women aged 50 and over has been estimated at 26% when defined as a reduction in vertebral height greater than 15%. Retrospective reviews of case records have shown a clinical detection rate of VCF in white women of 153/100,000 person years. Of these clinically detected VCFs, 84% were associated with pain. VCF may be defined as a clinical event characterised by loss of height and acute pain. The pain of acute fracture usually lasts 4 to 6 weeks with intense pain at the site of fracture. Chronic pain may also occur in patients with multiple compression fractures, height loss and low bone density but is probably due to structural changes or osteoarthritis. Radiographic VCF may not be symptomatic. The greater the deformity, the greater the likelihood of pain and disability. As height is lost, patients experience discomfort from the rib cage pressing downward on the pelvis. Patients develop a thoracic kyphosis, a lumbar lordosis, and a protuberant abdomen with prominent horizontal skinfold creases. The reduced thoracic space may result in decreased exercise tolerance and reduced abdominal space may give rise to early satiety and weight loss. Sleep disorders may also occur. Patients lose self esteem. Self care may become difficult. They are often depressed. They become fearful of further fracture. They have distorted body image and poor health perception. Patients with one vertebral fracture are at increased risk of peripheral fracture and further vertebral fracture. The aims of acute management are to reduce symptoms and mobilise the patient as quickly as possible

I went through what is described in the bold text. It was NOT fun. I kid you not.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 20, 2012 4:08 pm

All of what you quoted makes sense. What *doesn't* make any sense is your claim that your legs got 2 inches shorter. With a VCF the loss in height occurs above you hips.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2012 2:45 am

I never said that my legs got shorter. The sales guy measured my trouser size from the waist down, hence the loss of 2 inches in the length of my new trousers.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 21, 2012 6:42 am

If your spine compressed it would not affect the distance between your hips and your feet. For that to happen you would've had to fracture your hip or leg bones; and if that happened, you wouldn't have been able to walk.

I understand you're in a lot of pain, but it seems to me that you're going at this in a rather haphazard (and potentially dangerous!) way. If you've really got something wrong with your spine you need medical treatment; not home remedies or medical advice from a bunch of computer geeks!

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2012 7:08 am

If you've really got something wrong with your spine you need medical treatment; not home remedies or medical advice from a bunch of computer geeks!

I disagree. TR members are more knowledgeable than the average geek. You never know, maybe there's a real spine surgeon lurking around here :D