Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

evilpaul
Gerbil
Topic Author

Homemade motion-based surveillance setup?

Mon May 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi TR Guys!

(I'm not sure this is the right section, so move it if necessary.)

I fall asleep on a friend's recliner pretty often on nights when driving would be a pretty bad idea. The buddy lives with his grandparents at their house. A few months back his brother and his brother's morbidly obese girlfriend moved in "temporarily" because their landlord was kicking them out for not paying rent as landlords are wont to do. Long story short, the brother scours the house and steals money from everyone including his brother, grandfather, and this morning, me. (It was only $2.25, but #@%& that guy.) As well as people's cigarettes (I don't smoke), gasoline for the lawnmower, and probably five other things I don't even know about. He stole $450 from his brother two weeks back. And is really pissing me the #@%& off! He's been warned repeatedly and the situation is completely unacceptable. I think he needs to spend some time in a small room 23 hours a day and getting fed #@&%y food followed by some picking up trash on the highway.

So, I've decided to catch him in the act using a webcam and some motion-sensing software and would really appreciate suggestions on what to use? Also, I could use suggestions on what type of camera to buy? Hopefully something cheap (<$50) that gets decent pictures and either doesn't have a flash or has one that can be turned off.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Homemade motion-based surveillance setup?

Mon May 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Are your buddy and/or the grandparents already on board with this plan? Because if not, I'd be a little leery of bugging their house. If done without their consent you could be in even more trouble than the brother.

You also need to ask yourself whether they'd actually do anything, even when presented with video evidence.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

evilpaul
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Homemade motion-based surveillance setup?

Mon May 21, 2012 8:42 pm

I'll be running the plan by my friend tonight. He wants to press charges if he has solid evidence.