Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Re: Diablo III

Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

Sputnik7 wrote:
Yeah I could use some advice on gear for my barbarian. I eagerly smashed through normal, but nightmare is kicking my butt. It's the dps/vitality trade off that i'm trying to find. Any nm or higher barbs out there with some friendly advice? I'm thinking about going to a 1h + shield instead of dual-wield

Friendly advice is hit up the auction house, set the maximum buyout filter for 3000 or so and find yourself some good stuff. What you can buy from others for a bit of gold is going to be a lot better than you have found so far, and a lot better than what you can get for the same amount at merchants or with crafting.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Does anyone else feel that the world of Diablo 3 is just kinda small?

I dunno, I was just expecting something bigger. It's obviously a lot bigger than the first Diablo but it didn't feel any bigger than Diablo 2. All these years of development and it just feels small...

I'm really enjoying the game because it's a good game, but in many ways it is a major disappointment. I think I just had high expectations that this just did not live up to.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon May 21, 2012 6:32 pm

DeadOfKnight wrote:
All these years of development

People really need to get over this. They did not develop this right after D2 continuously in the background for the last 13 years. Elapsed time vs actual time.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Not to mention that Diablo II got an expansion. Act V was part of Lord of Destruction.

And Act III sucked. Holy cats did it suck. Act IV was cool and worth getting to, but Act III was something I just rushed through. Find the items. Get to the places. Get the f*** out of the jungle.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
DeadOfKnight wrote:
All these years of development

People really need to get over this. They did not develop this right after D2 continuously in the background for the last 13 years. Elapsed time vs actual time.

After my initial frustration with the login problems and install issues with one of my systems, I'm enjoying the game a lot.
Yeah, sure the graphics aren't the best, the non adjustable camera angle is annoying, the always online connection when it freezes and times out
right when I'm fighting a golden aura monster is frustrating too. Now that I've learned to take the game for what it is, IMHO, a typical Diablo style
hack and slash game, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Every time I find myself rushing through a quest, dungeon or map, I remind myself to slow down
and explore all of it before finishing it. I think I just hit lvl 20 on my Demon Hunter, looking for Zultan Kulle's blood. I was going to roll another toon but decided that I really just want to go through one toon at a time. All in all, it's a nice break from GW until GW2 comes out.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 21, 2012 7:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Not to mention that Diablo II got an expansion. Act V was part of Lord of Destruction.

And Act III sucked. Holy cats did it suck. Act IV was cool and worth getting to, but Act III was something I just rushed through. Find the items. Get to the places. Get the f*** out of the jungle.

Yes and it sucked when they patched it to make Act3 harder to skip.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 21, 2012 7:10 pm

Sputnik7 wrote:
Yeah I could use some advice on gear for my barbarian. I eagerly smashed through normal, but nightmare is kicking my butt. It's the dps/vitality trade off that i'm trying to find. Any nm or higher barbs out there with some friendly advice? I'm thinking about going to a 1h + shield instead of dual-wield

If you're playing by yourself I HIGHLY suggest going one handed plus shield in NM. Get a ton of gold and buy good stuff from the auction house. Obviously as a barb at this point you need to stack all your gear with strength+vitality. Remember to throw some intelligence in there if you can for poison and such resistances. in NM if you're under 5K vitality, fix that fast.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon May 21, 2012 8:15 pm

DeadOfKnight wrote:

I was thinking that too. Without going into spoilers of the story, there are some unanswered questions left lying on the table so I bet an expansion is planned. I mean there HAS to be one!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 pm

tanker27 wrote:
DeadOfKnight wrote:

I was thinking that too. Without going into spoilers of the story, there are some unanswered questions left lying on the table so I bet an expansion is planned. I mean there HAS to be one!

There's definitely unanswered questions, but I'm not sure that answering them is enough to make for a good story. There's so much closure at the end that it really felt like the end to a trilogy. But you're right, Blizzard isn't going to put this cash cow on the shelf forever.

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 22, 2012 4:04 am

Servers are to be down for 8 hours, seriously?
Network theory sucks.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 22, 2012 5:49 am

Deathright wrote:

Damn, I guess you'll have to find a new hobby for the next 8 hours.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue May 22, 2012 6:17 am

Deathright wrote:

Oh wow, I didnt play after 9PM EST yesterday so I didnt see the message. I guess DIII will follow the normal maintenance schedule that WoW has had for years. Something that I wasnt expecting.

Also as a PSA, there have been a rash of account thefts in the EU relms and people are logging in to find their characters stripped and banks wiped out. If you're not using an authenticator you really should. Theres really no excuse for using one as there's an app for it on both Android and iPhone. (There may be one for windows phone but I'm not sure about it)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue May 22, 2012 6:23 am

So yesterday I tackled the book acheivement, right now I am missing 4. There are two I am having a b*tch of a time trying to get and thats Lackdanan's 5th journal and another one from the highlands in act one that is in some shack. On my Barbarian I spent two levels restarting the levels and clearing to the locations and I still cant get them to spawn. I am hoping that this isnt some bug.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue May 22, 2012 7:27 am

I finally experienced the login problem. Play for 5 minutes, get kicked out and lose all xp/items gained in that 5 minutes, log in, repeat. This happened 3 times in a row. If everything was server side I figured they'd take more snapshots. I kept picking up new items and then getting reset.

Edit: must have been up for a short time, because after that it was showing Battle.net maintenance.

Madman

Tue May 22, 2012 9:26 am

ROFLCOPTER http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Exploi ... 15713.html

You just need to bend over a little bit more, DRM is good for you :lol:
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue May 22, 2012 9:58 am

Madman wrote:
ROFLCOPTER http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Exploi ... 15713.html

You just need to bend over a little bit more, DRM is good for you :lol:

For "boycotting" this game, you sure do spend a lot of time reading/posting/etc. about it. You've accomplished your goal!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Madman

Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 am

DancinJack wrote:
For "boycotting" this game, you sure do spend a lot of time reading/posting/etc. about it. You've accomplished your goal!

What can I say, I despise DRM, and when I see how the DRM-infested game fails miserably yet again, I see it as a good proof to point out to people that it's their own decisions to ignore the DRM that's causing even more damage for PC platform.

DRM has turned PC gaming into nightmare. And yes, I'm boycotting DRM games, even though I would really like to buy few of them, and it saddens me that I have to skip them.

I only buy from GOG.com lately, but if other people will keep ignoring that they are screwed royally all the time, and will keep buying collector editions, the situation will only get worse. People need to smarten up.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 22, 2012 10:46 am

Madman wrote:
What can I say, I despise DRM, and when I see how the DRM-infested game fails miserably yet again, I see it as a good proof to point out to people that it's their own decisions to ignore the DRM that's causing even more damage for PC platform.

So boycotting PC games is good for the PC Platform?

O...K...

Madman wrote:
DRM has turned PC gaming into nightmare. And yes, I'm boycotting DRM games, even though I would really like to buy few of them, and it saddens me that I have to skip them.

Good for you. Why don't you boycott this thread too?

Madman wrote:
I only buy from GOG.com lately, but if other people will keep ignoring that they are screwed royally all the time, and will keep buying collector editions, the situation will only get worse. People need to smarten up.

Yes, if they keep ignoring the republication of games from 5-20 years ago, the PC platform is going to die. :o

Madman really IS a good name for you, isn't it?

superjawes

Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 am

Madman wrote:

I have my issues with DRM, but I think it's a fact of life that everyone needs to grow up and learn to deal with. I would love to leave my car unlocked with my keys inside, but that would not end well.

Publishers only publish games to make money, and as long as there is a threat of losing that profitability, publishers will feel the need to protect their content. Unforunately, most results thus far have been to limit playability to the common consumer and cause nasty issues, yes. But like I said, since this is probably a fact of life, we'll do ourselves much better if we try to influence things in a positive way, and not just boycotting anything with DRM.

I'm personally a fan of Steam, which in itself is DRM, but I feel that they do it pretty well. You have to be online to spin up a game, but can go offline after. You can install your games on any computer, but will need to log in to be able to play. It's give and take, and on the whole, I think Valve is doing a good job. If we want the state of DRM to improve, we need to encourage these mutually beneficial arrangements whenever possible.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Sputnik7
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 22, 2012 12:45 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Sputnik7 wrote:

If you're playing by yourself I HIGHLY suggest going one handed plus shield in NM. Get a ton of gold and buy good stuff from the auction house. Obviously as a barb at this point you need to stack all your gear with strength+vitality. Remember to throw some intelligence in there if you can for poison and such resistances. in NM if you're under 5K vitality, fix that fast.

Thank you for the advice! I'm sword and board-ing with 1400 dps :). I also hit up the AH with a buyout cap of 3000 gold and now I seem to be better on the survivability, sitting at 7k HP right now with a bit more intelligence for resists. With barbs, is it go lifesteal or stunlock or crits with my skillset? I can't seem to decide which is best. I suppose with a 1h wep you aren't gonna be proc-ing quite as much as dual-wielding, so i would say crits or lifesteal?
ASUS Prime 270Z-A | 7700K @ stock for now | 16 GB DDR4-3200 | GTX 970 | Fractal Define S | Dell S2716DG 144hz G-Sync @ 1440p

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue May 22, 2012 12:46 pm

Blizzard's games are good enough I live with the DRM. I am very happy with the online aspect of friend chat, forming games, and the auction house.

Tuesday maintenance has the potential to be annoying, but after all, most of the time I am at work anyway.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Just finished Nightmare with my Barbarian. Ran into a bit of a wall with elite mobs so I switched my abilities around and went 2H (was sword and board before that). If you played ME3 as a vanguard, this plays in a similar manner. ABC.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/b ... XdV!abZaZb

Against Elites and Bosses, bring out the WotB+Earthquake combo and finish them in seconds. For large crowds, Charge through them over and over until they're thinned out before smashing the remaining few with super fast Frenzy. Finally, keep both the shouts enabled to have a good continuous regen rate.

Totally insufficient for Hell but it's fun in Nightmare mode.

credible
Gerbil XP

Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Madman wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

What can I say, I despise people who continually steal games and force companies into these kinds of draconian measures to protect their investments.

Did it really take me saying that for you to figure this out, or you have something more clever up your sleave.

Loving the game btw, I don't think its the greatest game around, but it will certainly occupy my hobby time for awhile.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Anyone have a spare Guest Pass they'd be willing to pass along?

thecoldanddarkone

Tue May 22, 2012 8:53 pm

yea one moment, ygpm
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

thecoldanddarkone

Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Sputnik7 wrote:

5k vitality? Uhh, that's alot of life. I'm a demon hunter and I have about 570 vital with over 12k life (lvl 48). Your number seems a bit high :D Did you mean 500 vital or 5k life? At 5k life you can get one or 2 shotted so that's deffinitely not enough.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 23, 2012 8:07 am

lol I'm so far behind you guys. I just got through Act 1 last night with my first (and so far only) character. *sigh*
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 23, 2012 8:34 am

You know because I joined the game and it was act1 I think I lost my act2 progress. I was about half way through act 2, we got a little into act 2 after you left derfunk. I tried to set up a game myself later and I was were we left off on the multiplayer game.

Is this how the game works now? That's a lot different then D2 if that is the case.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 am

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
5k vitality? Uhh, that's alot of life. I'm a demon hunter and I have about 570 vital with over 12k life (lvl 48). Your number seems a bit high :D Did you mean 500 vital or 5k life? At 5k life you can get one or 2 shotted so that's deffinitely not enough.

Yes. I just assumed people would read it as life instead of vitality. Obviously 5K vital would be a ton. You'd have to have some pretty sweet gear to get there. Any probably do very minimal damage if you had that much life.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 24, 2012 6:35 am

tfp wrote:
You know because I joined the game and it was act1 I think I lost my act2 progress. I was about half way through act 2, we got a little into act 2 after you left derfunk. I tried to set up a game myself later and I was were we left off on the multiplayer game.

Is this how the game works now? That's a lot different then D2 if that is the case.

Yeah until you reach lvl 60 then after that you can farm any episode/location at will.

Since I am an Achievement whore I have been having a hell of a time spawning three things in Act I; The house of curios, The Armorsmith quest in the Northern Highlands tower, and damn Leroic's Shin bone. I have probably reset the area(s) close to 50 times and still nothing. I know some events and locations are rare but this is insanely ridiculous. But it wasnt all for naught yesterday I hit RNG pay dirt with 5 Legendaries for my work.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')