First PC Build in 5 Years! Check me out :)

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Re: First PC Build in 5 Years! Check me out :)

Postposted on Wed May 23, 2012 4:38 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
videssian wrote:Looks good to me! :)

Since this'll be a gaming rig for you, what are the main games you plan to play on it?

I should have some parts arriving today myself, as I'm doing an upgrade as well. Fun times! :)

For sheer amusement value, you might want to run some benchmarks on your old system, and run those same benchmarks on the new one, just to get some hard numbers on just how much faster the new system is. I plan to... part of the fun, after all!

I saw the new System Guide posted today, looks like I am really close to the "Sweet Spot" build, so that was encouraging! :)

videssian, I mentioned this above but probably my whole Steam Library! :D But Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, UT3, and Fallout 3/New Vegas to begin with! I actually don't have a current PC setup (haven't since 2007) so I'd be benchmakring against a MacBook Air! Not exactly fair. :lol:

Nice! Those games ought to run very well on your new system!

You do know about the (hopefully temporary) issue with Mass Effect 3, right? (and that's only available on Origin, not Steam, last I looked)

I'm running into wierdly odd low SSD performance, but I do also have my boot drive as a Truecrypt partition, so it could be the overhead there (I'll have to test that by un-encrypting and re-benchmarking).. otherwise, in general, things feel much more snappy, though I haven't yet tried any games (but I wouldn't expect them to feel too much different, since my GPU hasn't changed)
videssian
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu May 24, 2012 10:25 am

First post from the new system! :) No, what issue with ME3?
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 24, 2012 2:15 pm

PerfectCr wrote:First post from the new system! :) No, what issue with ME3?

Heh, I'm posting from my new system as well, though I haven't overclocked it yet (taking it from 3.4 ghz up to 4.5 or so)... that's for later this afternoon.

Well, I won't mention any spoilers, but I'd very strongly advise you NOT to play it yet until the "Extended Cut" is out in the next couple months... because, basically, the ending is "incomplete"... and the EC will have a chance at fixing that. The game itself (not including the last 10 minutes) is really really good! .. but again, wait until playing until the EC is out. Trust me. You'll really regret it if you don't.

(And you have played ME1 and ME2 and have a saved game ready to import into ME3, right? If not, play them first. It's worth it)
videssian
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu May 24, 2012 2:28 pm

videssian wrote:

Heh, I'm posting from my new system as well, though I haven't overclocked it yet (taking it from 3.4 ghz up to 4.5 or so)... that's for later this afternoon.

Well, I won't mention any spoilers, but I'd very strongly advise you NOT to play it yet until the "Extended Cut" is out in the next couple months... because, basically, the ending is "incomplete"... and the EC will have a chance at fixing that. The game itself (not including the last 10 minutes) is really really good! .. but again, wait until playing until the EC is out. Trust me. You'll really regret it if you don't.

(And you have played ME1 and ME2 and have a saved game ready to import into ME3, right? If not, play them first. It's worth it)

Oh, I already finished the game on the Xbox 360. I thought you were referring to a technical issue.
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 24, 2012 3:17 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
videssian wrote:

Oh, I already finished the game on the Xbox 360. I thought you were referring to a technical issue.

Oh, nope, no technical issue. My sympathies on suffering through the current ME3 Ending.
videssian
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 am

Hi,

just wondering if you had any trouble with installation?
I just my computer as well, with similar specs but the graphics card is not being detected at all.
I have been told that I need to flash the motherboard so that it is compatible however this dosent seem to work either(downloaded the .rom file onto usb and using ez flash)
Ive also heard that it is because im using an ivy bridge cpu and i need to flash the motherboard using a sandy bridge cpu first which id rather not do. Can someone help?

Specs are as follows:
MOBO: asus p8z68-m pro
GPU: XFX R7850 DD
RAM: Corsiar Vengeance 1600mhz 8GB
Intel 330 SSD 120 gb and Seagate 300GB
HDD: Case: Antec 300
PSU: Antec 900W
dotdotdot123
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:47 am

No issues. That may be the case. My board is a Z77 board so I am not familiar with what needs to be done to get a SB to work on z68 board. Most likely a BIOS flash I would think.
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 am

PerfectCr wrote:No issues. That may be the case. My board is a Z77 board so I am not familiar with what needs to be done to get a SB to work on z68 board. Most likely a BIOS flash I would think.

Glad to hear your build went without issues! My 5 year anniversary happens next year and I'll be doing pretty much what you did, but likely with a Haswell and an update to the GPU.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:57 am

chuckula wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:No issues. That may be the case. My board is a Z77 board so I am not familiar with what needs to be done to get a SB to work on z68 board. Most likely a BIOS flash I would think.

Glad to hear your build went without issues! My 5 year anniversary happens next year and I'll be doing pretty much what you did, but likely with a Haswell and an update to the GPU.

Except I literally sold my old PC and went all Mac for 5 years. :) This was a brand new build from scratch! Really enjoying having my own rig again. I love my consoles but PC gaming is really where it's at. Graphics are really unbeatable.
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Previous

Return to System Builders Anonymous