Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

File Sharing - W98SE

Thu May 24, 2012 12:39 pm

I turned on sharing a drive but icon of the drive does not change. I installed W95B on a different partition on the same HDD and the file sharing works fine. I think I did the same way for the W98SE as for the W98B but could not figure out what I did wrong.
Could anyone help?

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Re: File Sharing - W98SE

Thu May 24, 2012 1:45 pm

churin wrote:
I turned on sharing a drive but icon of the drive does not change. I installed W95B on a different partition on the same HDD and the file sharing works fine. I think I did the same way for the W98SE as for the W98B but could not figure out what I did wrong.
Could anyone help?

Check to see if it's actually sharing - it might just not have the icon implemented properly.

Make sure you check your protocol configuration too

Man I haven't set up Win98SE sharing since..I want to say 2005, I was in high school I know that, but it was still remarkably similar to how later versions of windows have done it.

Here's a guide - see if you missed any steps
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/foru ... Windows-98
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 24, 2012 2:40 pm

My own feeling was that file sharing on any of the Win9x OSs never worked reliably, or well. You might just have to mess with it until it works.

Since you posted though, you have to say why you're even playing with 15+ year old operating systems.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 3:02 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
churin wrote:
Could anyone help?

Check to see if it's actually sharing - it might just not have the icon implemented properly.

Make sure you check your protocol configuration too

Man I haven't set up Win98SE sharing since..I want to say 2005, I was in high school I know that, but it was still remarkably similar to how later versions of windows have done it.

Here's a guide - see if you missed any steps
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/foru ... Windows-98

Thank you very much for the reference link. That tells me that I missed one last step for file sharing settings. I know my problem is very often due to something I did not do but thought I did. It happened again.

I understand that it is not feasible to access to W7 from W9x. I set up full access sharing at W9x so that files can be transferred both way from W7 side.

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Ah, nostalgia... I remember working at AOL way back then(WIN95 though) , and me and the other RSTs, going to Office Depot at midnight to get it. It’s hard to believe it was that long ago.. I wonder how many people can fix a port shift in DOS these days.
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 3:17 pm

absurdity wrote:
Since you posted though, you have to say why you're even playing with 15+ year old operating systems.

It is simply to satisfy my nostalgic curiosity: My first home computer was Windows 95 machine. I wanted to listen to the Windows start-up sound which at the time very much impressed me. I wanted to see one of the screen savers I liked very much, etc., etc.