Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

SereneScreen refugees meet here...

Sun May 27, 2012 8:42 pm

TR folk, my other home on the Internet is shutting down so I'm making this thread so we can regroup until we can carve out a new place for ourselves...

SereneScreen folk, I'll try to get something going in place of the old forum in case no one else does, just give me a little time...

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: SereneScreen refugees meet here...

Mon May 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Just read the (obliquely referred to) thread. Weird. Very weird. Especially when the mods offered to cover costs and the dev flat out said no.

If they come here, just be sure they're well behaved. :)

You might even get an aquatic subforum out of it. :P
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Yeah, we'll see how it goes. I was panicky at first and started this thread in the event of the worst. It looks like there will be a little more time to sort things out first though...

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 29, 2012 12:41 pm

How big is the active community over there? Are there enough people who would be willing and able to moderate the forum? It sounds like the real issue isn't hosting costs per se, but policing it to keep the spammers at bay.

OTOH from some of the other comments, it sounds like sales of SereneScreen are down. If the product is fading away, it is probably inevitable that the forum associated with it will eventually fade away as well.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 29, 2012 12:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
How big is the active community over there? Are there enough people who would be willing and able to moderate the forum? It sounds like the real issue isn't hosting costs per se, but policing it to keep the spammers at bay.

OTOH from some of the other comments, it sounds like sales of SereneScreen are down. If the product is fading away, it is probably inevitable that the forum associated with it will eventually fade away as well.

That was my read. I think I bought serene screen aquarium and goldfish back in the day, and stopped using it not long after. The physical in-store copies were a nightmare to register and use.

I'm still a little confused as to why the dev feels so very strongly that the forum needs to DIE. I wonder if he's wanting to close down an avenue for discussion/dissent before making some controversial change.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 29, 2012 1:05 pm

Forge wrote:
I'm still a little confused as to why the dev feels so very strongly that the forum needs to DIE. I wonder if he's wanting to close down an avenue for discussion/dissent before making some controversial change.

I suppose that's possible... but IMO it is more likely he's just uncomfortable with the idea that something so closely associated with his name/product could get turned over to a third party he doesn't know and/or has no influence over. And FWIW I think that's a legitimate concern.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Feldon just made us feel a lot better. :) We'll see what happens next. As far as the size of the community it is a lot smaller now, I don't post there very often but I visit daily - there are people there I've known longer than anywhere else online so I try to keep track of things. There are a good 20-30 people that make up the bulk of the conversation and an even smaller number that do most of the posting among them.

IMO the aquarium is still amazing for what it is - I mean it looks good enough to still be my primary screen saver but its just 3MB and will literally run on any graphics card 10+ years old... Its just a tough sell at $20 after those 10+ years - even with the additions...

...now if it could be a $2.99 app for the Apple TV I think it could be HUGE again... :o

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Huh...I remember using that screensaver as some sort of demo or shareware, but it must have been many years ago.

Forge wrote:
I wonder if he's wanting to close down an avenue for discussion/dissent before making some controversial change.

325-pound mermaids who just discovered the harmonica?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration