Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Re: Your first R-rated movie?

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:47 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Ok my first R rated movie was ALIEN and let me tell you at 8 years old it scared the doodoo out of me.My mother was and still is a scifi freak.She likes sci fi so much her first 46 inch panasonic projector hdtv had the scifi channel logo burned into the screen.So it was Mom,me and my older brother that went to see the flick.
I had no problems watching it,I loved the movie and remember i was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole thing.
As for that night and a month or so afterwards I had some wicked scary nightmares:) It did not help when my older brother made that dang alien Hiss noise in the middle of the night,He had it perfected.Inducing more then a few yells of MOM!!!

I remember that Xmas i got the alien action figure,with the extending mouth and everything.It was quite big 2-3 ft tall if i remember correctly, very detailed and was my all time favorite show and tell item in school:)

and where does DAD fit into this whole equation? seems he is missing...

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:06 pm

I want to say it was probably some slasher movie, either Friday the 13th or A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:45 am

I think it was Police Academy back in 84 I would have been 8 at the time.

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:20 am

Starship Troopers and I still like to watch it every now and then. Oh I was 10 or 11 I guess.
Network theory sucks.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:32 am

The first one I can recall seeing in the theaters was Terminator 2, but thanks to good 'ol VHS I was watching them long before my 14th birthday.

cheerful hamster
Gerbil

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:34 am

I saw "Excalibur" (the R-rated version) in the theater with my mom when I was 14. No boy ever wants to watch a sex scene in those circumstances, but what was worse was my mom was laughing hysterically at the scene where one of the knights does the deed with his armor on. This was 1981 and no one had ever heard of safe sex, but I'm pretty sure this movie invented it!

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:10 am

My dad rented Terminator 2 on VHS (rental) when I was about 8-9yo and let me watch it. I still think it's a pretty good movie too (and action movies normally bore me).

It seems this was the first for a lot of people.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 am

I think the first one I saw fully was Backdraft - William Baldwin and Kurt Russel, that's a recipe for success!
Does not compute

bluepiranha
Gerbil

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:01 am

"Romy and Michele's High School Reunion."

Looking back I don't see why it was rated R.

Edit: Oh, "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" should've also been my first. Watched it on LaserDisc with my mom, dad and sister. Back then I had no idea it was rated R.
Ad astra per aspera.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:07 am

My firs R-rated movie was Platoon.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 am

My mom always followed the movie guideline, so I couldn't watch anything PG-18 (or R) till I was....18.

So on my 18th birthday I invited a friend over and we watched Robocop 1 and 2.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:40 am

At home: Glory. Parents are huge on Civil War movies.
In theaters: Snakes on a Plane. I was like 13.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Interesting that so many of you know the exact movie. I have absolutely zero clue. It wasn't a special event. I'm sure I saw some R rated movie in passing when I was a toddler. Probably something in full around 6 or 7, on my own accord when I was 12 or 13. I guess it's obvious but my parents never held something back from me. If I wanted to see a movie they weren't going to stop me from doing it. Though honestly I can't stand most movies, I can't recall watching one from beginning to end in the last six months R rated or otherwise.

barleyguy
Gerbil

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:47 pm

My first R-rated movie on a big screen was Friday the 13th, the original, at a drive-in with my parents. It was a double feature with something more kid friendly first, and we (my brother and I) were theoretically supposed to go to sleep after the first movie.

My first R-rated movie in a theater without permission was Porky's Revenge, when I was 14. We knew a girl who worked at the theater so she "forgot" to check our age.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:52 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Trivia tangent: The Blue Oyster Cult album Fire of Unknown Origin has several songs on it which were written for the Heavy Metal soundtrack (one is even a musical plot synopsis of part of the movie), but which ended up not being used. The one BOC song that did end up on the soundtrack was Veteran of the Psychic Wars. IMO this is one of the best albums BOC ever released, and might even make my "desert island discs" list (depending on the length of said list)...
+ya. To all of this. Fire of Unknown Origin is always in the disc changer in my car. Just a great album.
That album was like the soundtrack to what at the time seemed like the Great Nerd Awakening, when D&D and comics and SciFi and music and personal computers all came together to proclaim that we were here and henceforth popular culture (and the economy) was going to revolve around us. But I played that lp (copied onto cassette, of course) so much I actually got sick of it, and I never bought it on CD.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:11 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Ok my first R rated movie was ALIEN and let me tell you at 8 years old it scared the doodoo out of me.
That was mine too, but I was 14 and staying with a friend; we convinced his older sister to take us (to see an R-rated film you just needed to be accompanied by "a parent or guardian") and she spent most of the movie hiding under the seat. My sharpest memory is actually of the radio commercials, which started with this blood-curdling screeching sound and then the tag line "In space, no one can hear you scream"; he had a paper route, so his clock radio would come on at some ungodly early hour, and one morning it came on just in time to play that commercial, which left us figuratively hanging by our fingernails from the ceiling.

The other R-rated movie I went to that year was "All That Jazz" and to this day I don't understand why my mother took me to it. I'm pretty sure it was her idea, and I imagine she thought it was some kind of cultural enrichment for me as well as a treat for her, but it was a deeply strange movie that (at that age) disturbed me a lot more than "Alien" did.
I remember that Xmas i got the alien action figure,with the extending mouth and everything.It was quite big 2-3 ft tall if i remember correctly, very detailed and was my all time favorite show and tell item in school:)
Heh, it wasn't quite that big but it was pretty huge, and significantly larger than the 12" GI-Joes of the day. I was no longer playing with those, but the GI Joe "Space Marine" body count that thing created among the younger kids was spectacular.

P5-133XL
Gerbil

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Bonnie and Clyde (1967). My parents wanted to see it and it was being shown in a drive-in theater so the entire family went in our station wagon. The 4 children (ages 11, 10, 8, 7) had to stay on the floor of the back seat and the wagon portion and we were not allowed to peak our heads up (or make any noise) to actually see the movie. It was noisy and we did peak.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:26 pm

clone wrote:
was Terminator 2 rated R?
IMDB says yes, and so was the original. Of course ratings vary by country, but obviously this whole thread is caveated by that.

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:40 pm

I think probably Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. It was a VHS rental, and I would have been about 14 or so at the time, but my local video store didn't care about things like that :D
I liked the movie, but the graphic violence really put me off, it was gross more than exciting.